US TV news ratings dive under Biden administration, compared to Trump years

WWW.FT.COM

News, analysis and comment from the Financial Times, the worldʼs leading global business publication

So I'm sure this will not affect at all how they handle the possibility of Trump running again in 2024.

As the news cycle has calmed under Joe Biden's presidency and the pandemic has eased, US media groups have suffered dramatic audience declines, with primetime ratings for cable television news networks CNN and MSNBC falling more than 50 per cent in the third quarter compared with a year ago.

Last year's cocktail of Donald Trump, a deadly pandemic, the US presidential election and historic racial protests drove a record interest in following the news — propelling cable TV channels, newspapers and other journalistic enterprises to soaring heights of viewership and revenue.

Primetime ratings for AT&T-owned CNN dropped 52 per cent in the third quarter for viewers aged 25 to 54, a key demographic for advertisers, according to Nielsen figures. MSNBC, the left-leaning network owned by Comcast's NBCUniversal, suffered a 51 per cent fall, while Rupert Murdoch's rightwing Fox News faired comparatively better, with primetime ratings falling 37 per cent during the quarter for this demographic.

4.5 million people watch The United States of Al, a show that is so outlandish I thought it was actors on twitter doing parody skits as a goof when I first saw it:

Real, actual humans tune in every week to watch this. 

The teevee news is still pretty powerful. 

• Confused 2

17 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

10 million people + on average manage to watch Blue Bloods every week, so I guess the answer is yes?

6 million -- which sounds like a really small number to me.  So i guess the answer is, not really.