UPDATE - Liberals win minority government, but everyone's a loser. | Canada Votes |OT| - 44th Federal Election - Sept 20, 2021

39 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If my polling station is an indicator, today will be a disaster.  They had a fraction of the normal voting stations, and the people manning the polls looked like they were sleepwalking.  

And WTF people -- you're putting an "X" in a box.  Why does that take you 3 minutes in the booth?

Conversely, I took my niece this morning to her polling station...which is apparently the largest in Canadian history:

It was literally a Costco-sized polling station...since it was inside the old Costco. It was massive.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

So basically, the only thing that changes will probably be that Trudeau handed the PPC the 5% they need to be in debates next cycle and further propagate their nonsense. 

PPC is tapping into Vaccine hate but by the time the next election rolls around it probably won't be a big enough issue and they will loose much of their support back into the CPC. So even their rise will be short term. The only change will be 2-3 parties might ditch their leaders by the next election (Greens, CPC & maybe another).

But other than that, yep not much else will have really changed but the NDP might get a bit more legitimacy on shaping policy if they can gain more seats and become the #3 party (ahead of BQ).

48 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If my polling station is an indicator, today will be a disaster.  They had a fraction of the normal voting stations, and the people manning the polls looked like they were sleepwalking.  

And WTF people -- you're putting an "X" in a box.  Why does that take you 3 minutes in the booth?

My condo is a polling station, they sent out a letter a week ago asking if anybody would like to work election day (I would have considered it if not for my current situation, pregnant wife).

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

While the national polls are relative consistent between pollsters, the regional detail seems to be meaningfully different.  Even a small variance in Ontario could have a large change between CPC/LPC split.

Either EKOS is off, or they are showing the swing at the end just to a greater extent. The swing seems to be real (reflect by Mainstreet and Abacus in Ontario, as well), but the question is how much. In Nova Scotia, Mainstreet caught the start of the swing, but then the swing was even larger (in key ridings) than thought. So it could be that...but I'm guessing EKOS is an outlier. I'm expecting an LPC margin of 7-8 in Ontario.

Went out with my dogs and my mom to vote at a local Holiday Inn this morning. Seem like they were steady but I was pretty quick with no more then 5-7min to get in to register and wait to vote. I went Liberal, but would of gone NDP. My sister in Hamilton had both the Conservatives and NDP out knocking on her door this morning looking for votes. Sister said no to both, but told the NDP guy she was voting to keep the lesser evil in power. She said the guy just nodded his head and said “I understand”

3500.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

From the climate crisis to housing, the main parties’ policies adhere strictly to the liberal, free-market script, says political commentator David Moscrop

Whatever happens, Canadians will welcome the end of the election no one wanted. Over the past few weeks, everyone has become a bit more cynical, tired and frustrated. Perhaps hopeless. Expect low turnout and another election within 18 months as the voting will continue until morale improves.

Hehehehehehehehe.

Me and the wife voted today around 1pm. We're spoiled rotten because the polling location is inside our building and when we showed up there wasn't anybody else in line. There was a bit of a line after coming back from a walk afterwards but still was only 4/5 people. I don't expect any surprises for my riding since it's Chrystia Freeland seat (Minister of Finance).

12 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Those lineups have nothing on a standard day at the DMV in the states. 

The lineups do suck but I think they're being a bit over blown. Even in one thread the guy pretty much goes back to 1 location he saw long lines at and says they're now empty. 

Yeah, one of the long lines posted earlier today (that went viral on twitter) had a play-by-play from the guy who just showed up (and took the photos). He said 30 minutes later he had already voted and was on his way home. It was long by Canadian standards (and 2-3x as long because of physical distancing), but continued to move and he said everyone was pleasant.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

You guys are DEFINITELY going to have another election in a year and a half, if not sooner.

Someone put out a decent column a few weeks ago to the effect of "Wait...we should have an election every year, if it gets the government to pass good stuff right before calling the next one." It was in response to the Liberals signing all those $10/day childcare agreements before the campaign began. I don't agree with a perpetual campaign, but there is certainly something to be said about trying to curry favour with voters by improving social programs!