UPDATE - Liberals win minority government, but everyone's a loser. | Canada Votes |OT| - 44th Federal Election - Sept 20, 2021

47 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Bryan is a turd who recently complained about the "acceptability" of the LPC winning 2019 with fewer votes to people complaining about Clinton losing 2016 with more votes. He then ignored everyone pointing out that Parliament is a series of 338 elections (similar to the US House), while the Presidential election is an election of a single person taking place inside a very flawed electoral system. I take anything he says with a giant grain of salt (like Frank Graves on the opposite end, from Ekos).

2 minutes ago, chakoo said:

#3 is a big question for me, where were the officers around and if they were why didn't we see them going after the people throwing stuff?

#2 I think is obvious because these people want to shutdown any stop and they did shutdown 1 stop due to safety concerns.

Stops shouldn't be run in a way that has protestors near the PM.  If a protestor is near enough to be able to throw a piece of gravel at the PM, the RCMP has "done fucked up".

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Stops shouldn't be run in a way that has protestors near the PM.  If a protestor is near enough to be able to throw a piece of gravel at the PM, the RCMP has "done fucked up".

I don't disagree that the RCMP fucked up. I'm just stating the obvious to #2 which was not about protestors near the PM but more just why are stops still happening where there are protestors.  The RCMP needs to step up the security a lot as these people are getting worse day by day.

PPC are a bunch of shitstains.

As for the protest stuff...yeah, I think it's widely understood in Canada that the RCMP are horrible at every single thing they do (and have been since pre-confederation). They really do need to be abolished and all officers and management fired. Convert to provincial/regional police or restart a national police force from the ground up.

The most glaring recent example is how the RCMP knew for hours that the Nova Scotia shooter was driving around in a fake RCMP cruiser shooting people, and they sent out no information. The shooting went on for what, 12-18 hours? And no one at the RCMP has been held responsible, and there has been no proper internal or government inquest. The whole institution is rotten.

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Spending money in the face of physical constraints like full employment or scarce resources causes inflation, not spending in and of itself.

Printing money causes inflation -- in which the government prints actual money, in order to fund spending, causes inflation.

I never said deficits necessarily cause inflation.

23 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Printing money causes inflation -- in which the government prints actual money, in order to fund spending, causes inflation.

I never said deficits necessarily cause inflation.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Twitter taught me today that there are inflation-deniers.  Government deficits don't matter because they can print as much money as they want.

Not hard to see why I got the impression that "deficits cause inflation" from "deficits caused by 'printing money' to pay for spending causes inflation". But authorizations for spending aren't tantamount to printing money.

Anyway, deficits don't matter, inflation does.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think national polls (even in 2019) in Canada are pretty accurate. But using them to predict seat outcome is not.

Only one poll, but the TVA debate might have hurt O'Toole more than thought?

Maybe.  The regional splits in these polls just don't have enough participants to be reliable.

For example, the current Ekos daily tracker (Sept 7th) shows the Liberals at 33% in Quebec -- the day before it was 26%.

mun-utility-annex.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

The NDP went on the attack against Justin Trudeau and the Liberals on climate change Tuesday, saying that emissions have grown since 2016 when the government ratified the Paris Climate agreement. But is this true?

It is true -- GHG emissions have risen under Trudeau.

It is also true that GHG emissions fell under Harper.

39 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
mun-utility-annex.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

The NDP went on the attack against Justin Trudeau and the Liberals on climate change Tuesday, saying that emissions have grown since 2016 when the government ratified the Paris Climate agreement. But is this true?

It is true -- GHG emissions have risen under Trudeau.

It is also true that GHG emissions fell under Harper.

The point is if they've slowed the rise (which is the goal, until they eventually peak and fall a lot). I'm not an expert so I can't comment on how successful measures have been...but this sort of framing is disingenuous. They fell under Harper because of the massive recessions he inherited, and they rose under Trudeau because the economy was recovering when he came in. But recessions and pandemics and everything else are temporary things, the long-term effects of actual measures to reduce GHG emissions (like taxes, tariffs, regulations, bringing in more renewables, etc) are bigger.

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Trends from a few pollsters today, regionally:

• PPC up everywhere, passing 10% in polls in AB and ON. Stealing some votes from CPC, but also from Greens
  • BQ dropping Quebec, with both CPC and NDP benefiting (with LPC still in lead)

PPC is doing very well in certain polls.  Very poorly in others.

Where are you seeing BQ falling?  They have been hovering in the same range on both Mainstreet and Ekos for the past week.