Sad Virgin Becomes a Total Chad today

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES, N.M. (AP) — Thrill-seeking billionaire Richard Branson strapped in and set off Sunday on his boldest adventure yet — a bid to reach space aboard his own winged rocket ship. A successful flight would vault the nearly 71-year-old Branson past fellow billionaire and rival Jeff Bezos, who is planning to fly to space in a craft of his own nine days from now.

Live stream:

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

Why the fuck was Stephen Colbert the emcee for the broadcast?

Yeah that was cringey.  Most of the live stream was as well.  I wish they would just focus on the technical aspects of the flight.  European Space Agency webcasts are pretty bad as well.  SpaceX and Rocket Lab have good webcasts that really just focus on the mission, which is nice. 

The billionaires dick measuring contest is all this is.  Unless you're going to do something actually beneficial for humanity by going to space, than put that money into something that actually benefits the planet.  Literally nobody gives a fuck about your my spaceship has larger windows and flys slightly higher drama.  This is space tourism for the 1% so they can boast to all their friends that they're "astronauts".

19 minutes ago, vaxick said:

The billionaires dick measuring contest is all this is.  Unless you're going to do something actually beneficial for humanity by going to space, than put that money into something that actually benefits the planet.  Literally nobody gives a fuck about your my spaceship has larger windows and flys slightly higher drama.  This is space tourism for the 1% so they can boast to all their friends that they're "astronauts".

There's no way any of these pampered fucks would tolerate the way astronauts eat or shit in space, and that's not changing anytime soon. So yes, it's all measuring space dicks.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

There's no way any of these pampered fucks would tolerate the way astronauts eat or shit in space, and that's not changing anytime soon. So yes, it's all measuring space dicks.

RIP /r/spacedicks

8 hours ago, CayceG said:

Why the fuck was Stephen Colbert the emcee for the broadcast?

I never followed much of Stephen Colbert but lately I feel like I'm seeing more of him. I don't know if it's the tone of his voice or just his general schtick, but I found him annoying. A couple times it sounds like he is making a joke and stares at the camera a second too long with no laugh track behind him. 

Also their live feed was choppy as hell. The SpaceX streams felt leagues better than this. 

210711113704-03-branson-space-flight-scr
WWW.CNN.COM

Richard Branson became the first person to ride into space aboard a rocket he helped fund. The supersonic space plane developed by his company, Virgin Galactic, roared into the sky over New Mexico early Sunday, carrying Branson and three fellow crewmembers.

Virgin Galactic moved into its facilities in New Mexico in May 2019 after years of delay. The glitzy building, called Spaceport America, was paid for with more than $200 million in mostly taxpayer money, and it had been waiting nearly a decade for Virgin Galactic to move in and open for business.

The absolute fucking gall.

• Guillotine 1

16 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:
210711113704-03-branson-space-flight-scr
WWW.CNN.COM

Richard Branson became the first person to ride into space aboard a rocket he helped fund. The supersonic space plane developed by his company, Virgin Galactic, roared into the sky over New Mexico early Sunday, carrying Branson and three fellow crewmembers.

The absolute fucking gall.

New Mexico dun goofed when they opted to put so much taxpayer money into this venture.   

Yeah, this was very unimpressive and not a great live stream either.

As far as the "space" travel is concerned, it still seems like this whole venture is a very complicated way to not get very high up. If it could launch something much bigger much higher, it would be interesting, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I didn't even realize until I looked it up just now that the commercial spin-off Virgin Orbit doesn't even use the White Knight aircraft, it just puts a rocket on top of a 747 and only has a payload capacity of 300kg.

So you have a flight that didn't do much more than the test flight did a decade ago, and doesn't seem to hold any promise for something bigger than super rich tourist trips.

In terms of a customer experience, I don't think this is even much better than a $7,500 Zero G flight. The Zero G planes keep you weightless longer, though it is split up into chunks, and you have a much larger cargo area to float around. That extra $242.5k gets you bragging rights and an (admittedly amazing) view.

The stream itself was super cringeworthy. I like Colbert, but having weird segments scattered throughout the stream felt out of place. The whole thing was (as I should have expected) basically a big congratulatory self pat on the back to Branson and a commercial to all the idiots who will be buying seats.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Richard Branson is perhaps EVEN MORE insufferable than Elon Musk (and he's ALWAYS been that way) - that's an impressive achievement in and of itself.

If Jeff Bezos continues his reputation of having to one up others, I think we're in for a doozy of a speech that'll be even more sperated from the common folk than Bransons rant that Virgin Galactic makes space travel available for everyone.

• Haha 1