California exodus may be right-wing myth

3340.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Claims that fed-up residents are leaving en masse have been widespread – but they’re a myth, researchers say

WWW.UNIVERSITYOFCALIFORNIA.EDU

Despite California losing a congressional seat for the first time in history due to slow population growth and some high-profile technology companies and billionaires leaving the state, there is no evidence of an abnormal increase in residents planning to move out of the state, according to the results of a new survey released today (July 7) by the University of California. This research is part of a larger, multi-institution research...

The idea of a “California exodus” that has seen waves of residents abandon the state has been steadily gaining steam. But new research has revealed it appears to be more myth than reality.

Researchers from a consortium of universities – including the Berkeley, UCLA, Cornell and Stanford – teamed up in the fall of 2020 to study California’s population. Their finding, released this week, determined there was “no evidence of an abnormal increase in residents planning to move out of the state”.

Discussion of the flight from California has often focused on the state’s high tax rate, its expensive housing and high cost of living, and quality-of-life concerns such as homelessness, particularly in more conservative circles. Elon Musk decamped to Texas in 2020, saying California was taking its status “for granted”.

California isn't growing as fast as many other states, but it looks like there isn't really a large movement out of the state, just the normal inter-state migration that always occurs. It's not even the state with the largest emigration (that would be West Virginia), but because it's seen as the liberal capitol of the US, there is a bit of an "own the libs" thing going on, perhaps, in constantly saying everyone wants to leave California? Not to say the state doesn't have its issues...but it's also a giant, giant state (population wise, and geographically), so conditions are quite different over the entire area.

Perhaps because people who use twitter are leaving (software dev, etc), it is amplified?

The report did, however, reveal net migration away from San Francisco during the pandemic along with a decline in the number of people moving to the state. The report, led by Natalie Holmes, research fellow at the California Policy Lab, found:

• The share of movers that leave the state has grown slightly since 2015, from 16 percent to 18 percent, a trend that continued in 2020 with no marked increase.
  • There is no evidence that wealthy households are leaving the state in large numbers.
  • Approximately two-thirds of people who moved out of San Francisco remained within the 11-county Bay Area economic region, and 80 percent remained in California which is consistent with trends in prior years.
  • Counties in the Sierra Nevada mountains and other parts of northern California saw huge increases in former Bay Area residents, with 50 percent and in some cases double that in 2020 as compared to 2019

STRIP-TOURISM-032017_08.jpg
THENEVADAINDEPENDENT.COM

A new wave of migrant Californians is crashing over the desert, and it's bluer than ever.

The so-called ‘California exodus’ has made Nevada the fastest growing state in America for the second year in a row, and according to current census data, ex-Californians now represent 20 percent of Nevada’s population, with nearly 100,000 Californians emigrating to Las Vegas in 2019 alone.

57 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I cannot emphasize enough the abject failure of governance that causes California, specifically coastal California, to not have the fastest rate of growth in this country.

We're literally exporting our housing crisis to the rest of the country.

I mean every major metropolitan area in the country is doing the same thing, but there's a reason "invading Californians" is the face of this stereotype...but other places in the country wouldn't be in a crisis if they weren't themselves aping our shitty housing policies.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dodger said:

I don’t know hot format this on my iPad but a quick wiki search has more people moving out than in for the last 5 years.

migration-map-2020.png.aspx?lang=en-US

Blue = inbound (so you're part of Arizona blue), orange = outbound, red = balanced

1908_DN-family-moving.jpg
MAGAZINE.REALTOR

The pandemic has prompted many to relocate, with Idaho ranked as the nation’s leader for inbound moves, according to Atlas Van Lines.

Highest outbound moves:

New York (66.4 percent)
Illinois (62.5 percent)
New Jersey (60.6 percent)
Louisiana (60.1 percent)
West Virginia (59.8 percent)
Nebraska (58.3 percent)
Minnesota (57.9 percent)
Indiana (57.8 percent)
California (57.1 percent)
Iowa (56.1 percent)

Highest inbound:

Idaho (66.4 percent)
North Carolina (64.6 percent)
Maine (62.4 percent)
New Hampshire (61.6 percent)
Alabama (60.8 percent)
District of Columbia (60.2 percent)
New Mexico (60.0 percent)
Nevada (59.8 percent)
Alaska (58.6 percent)
Kentucky (57.7 percent)

So California is 9, but lower than West Virginia, Louisiana, Nebraska, and Indiana, which tends to get lost in the "exodus" myth that links everything to liberalism, plus forgets Maine, New Hampshire, D.C., New Mexico, and Nevada for inbound. Not to mention others that are high up in the outbound, like Ohio.

The exodus myth is always political, as well, and while everyone has their reasons moving in and out of any state (weather and new job are usual ones I hear), the idea that people are moving from NY to Florida because "politics" is a new one. The reversal in their national electoral clout started in the 40s/50s despite a rich history of Republicans competing heavily in NY governors' races, which brought us people like Dewey (defeats Truman) and Rockefeller.

13 hours ago, Jason said:

We're literally exporting our housing crisis to the rest of the country.

I mean every major metropolitan area in the country is doing the same thing, but there's a reason "invading Californians" is the face of this stereotype...but other places in the country wouldn't be in a crisis if they weren't themselves aping our shitty housing policies.

Detroit invented this shit!

All my Cali transplant to Texas pals would feel right at home on the CEB’s slightly left lean. Mostly people in their late 20s and early 30s who realized they can upgrade their standard of living in a meaningful way even with potential pay cuts. If California was more affordable, they wouldn’t leave. The only thing politics brought into the equation was the particular areas they looked at moving to in the hopes of more easily finding like minded people.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

It’s pretty hard left, I’d say.

By American standards. By Canadian, I'd say normal left. If given the choice, I think the board would be evenly split between NDP and Liberal in Canada (with maybe one or two voting Conservative). But yes, by American standards, hard left, I think.

I don’t think most of you have met too many actual leftists :p Mostly garden variety liberals who would be total class traitors with a little more income :lol:

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t think most of you have met too many actual leftists :p Mostly garden variety liberals who would be total class traitors with a little more income :lol:

I’m definitely the lib who gets the bullet on here, but I’m the most liberal person I know in fairly liberal NJ.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I miss him

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Also, I feel like the CEB’s hard left turn has been fairly recent. Like people used to give Redsoxfan a hard time and since he’s left, half the board has turned into him lol.

People gave him a hard time because he was a pretentious dick.

His turn about Tulsi was the best.

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Don't worry, when you die you will be take to a waiting area with everyone who has ever posted on D1P and left.

I imagine hell being much like sitting in a room with KB and DVD.

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

All my Cali transplant to Texas pals would feel right at home on the CEB’s slightly left lean. Mostly people in their late 20s and early 30s who realized they can upgrade their standard of living in a meaningful way even with potential pay cuts. If California was more affordable, they wouldn’t leave. The only thing politics brought into the equation was the particular areas they looked at moving to in the hopes of more easily finding like minded people.

Virginia > Texas

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

By American standards. By Canadian, I'd say normal left. If given the choice, I think the board would be evenly split between NDP and Liberal in Canada (with maybe one or two voting Conservative). But yes, by American standards, hard left, I think.

Was going to say this. In fact, I’d say more centrist.  There are definitely more than two that would be card holding conservatives 

Well, we're maybe leaving California. In our area, homes are ridiculously expensive and anything within our comfortable price range are run down turds that would need thousands upon thousands to get to decent shape... having $3.5-4k or more mortgage a month for that is ridiculous. My wife and I have been constantly flip flopping for a couple of months between LA because it's ever so slightly cheaper but still near family OR moving out of state to Dallas (surrounding cities, looking at Garland and Richardson at the moment) because it's still really affordable even after adjusting for salary... basically stay near family or more financial freedom. Obviously other pros and cons but those are our main points. While we decide, we're just aggressively saving and paying off debts.

6 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

Why can’t you fuckers move to the Midwest? Pussies 

Places we looked at and liked initially have snow, I don't want to deal with snow.