Senate Bill Would Put Teen Drivers in Big Rigs

The latest Senate transportation bill would make it legal for freight companies to hire teenagers to drive big rigs, among other dangerous new policies that advocates say have no place in federal law.

In an open letter delivered to senior officials on the Senate Commerce Committee today, nonprofit Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety called out a slate of troubling policies included in the Surface Transportation Investment Act aimed at loosening restrictions on freight carriers. Among them was a bipartisan amendment from Committee Chair Maria Cantwell (D-WA) and minority member Todd Young (R-IN), which would establish a pilot program to train 3,000 new drivers between the ages of 18 and 20 to pilot the largest trucks that roll through U.S. communities — an age group that the Advocates say is between four and six times more likely to be involved in fatal crashes than older commercial drivers.

“Teen drivers just don’t have as much experience as older ones, and they tend to overestimate their driving capabilities,” said Cathy Chase, president of the Advocates. “You put them behind the wheel of an 80,000 pound truck, and that’s a recipe for disaster.”

Young-trucker.png?w=640
USA.STREETSBLOG.ORG

The latest Senate transportation bill would make it legal for freight companies to hire teenagers to drive big rigs, among other dangerous new policies that advocates say have no place in federal l…

I’m sort of mixed because like you said, teens can drive them in the army. My grandfather got his license by backing up a cement truck in front of the DMV and asking to write the test. They asked if he was drove/backed up the truck there, said yup, and handed him a license. Different time back then, but kids can drive big tractors on farms, and my brother was driving a moving truck at 19. I would just be testing these teens a few extra times before releasing them on the roads and limit them on length of travel. 

28 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I’m sort of mixed because like you said, teens can drive them in the army. My grandfather got his license by backing up a cement truck in front of the DMV and asking to write the test. They asked if he was drove/backed up the truck there, said yup, and handed him a license. Different time back then, but kids can drive big tractors on farms, and my brother was driving a moving truck at 19. I would just be testing these teens a few extra times before releasing them on the roads and limit them on length of travel. 

If they fuck up driving the tractor on the farm then only they get hurt. 

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

If they can drive military trucks, they can drive big rigs. 

Sounds like this needs to be paired with something that, if voted down, triggers an increase in the military age. 

being a danger over seas is not the same as being a danger on domestic highways. Fuck that. You think FedEx’s death count is high now. lol It will be more rare to see a truck right side up. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

What company would honestly hire a teen that young though?

I'm sure the major trucking companies such as CR England and Swift would hire them.  Those companies are revolving doors for truckers, and rush people through training as quickly as they can to get them out on the road to start earning them money.

Is there something inherently beyond the capabilities of properly trained 18-20 year olds that should prevent them from driving such equipment?

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Is there something inherently beyond the capabilities of properly trained 18-20 year olds that should prevent them from driving such equipment?

I'm fine with younger people driving big trucks (though maybe only 18+ considering they are traveling on their own), as long as there is extensive and meticulous training (which in reality isn't mandated in most places).

3 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

I would drive a truck until I was shitting into a diaper if it paid half as much as it did in the 70s

what did it pay in the 70s? I thought I saw a story some years ago when this driver shortage first seemed to get reported that companies were offering 90-120k starting to try and incentivize people becoming drivers. 

47 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Car rental companies have under 25 fees for a reason.