Thinking about getting a Switch Lite

Raggit

I'm thinking about getting a Switch Lite until that mythical "Pro" revision comes out. Maybe that new blurple model. Aside from Breath of the Wild and a couple of Mario games, which Switch exclusive titles should I be looking into? I'm also open to non- exclusive titles, but only if it's not available on PC, or better than the PC version. 

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Astral Chain is a good one if you like platinum games.

That's a great recommendation and a great game. I'm not sure how it is in handheld mode. It's pushing the Switch pretty hard. It looks beautiful and more importantly plays beautifully. 

Octopath Traveler

Bravely Default II 

Xenoblade Chronicles HD (if you haven’t played it already)

MARVEL: Ultimate Alliance 3

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Deadly Premonition 2

Also download FAST RMX, Pocket Rumble, and if you opt into the Switch Online service, Tetris 99 and Pac-Man 99 are no-brainers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Available on PC and part of Game Pass

SquareEnix’s RPGs tend to stick around for about a year on GP.  ie: FFXV is gone and FFIX is leaving soon.

If you’re into big RPGs, it’s worth checking that you wouldn’t starting them close to when they’ll be delisted.

Octopath just went up recently.  So all is good there.  It’s more a question if you should play a different JRPG (like DQXI) first that would be gone earlier.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

SquareEnix’s RPGs tend to stick around for about a year on GP.  ie: FFXV is gone and FFIX is leaving soon.

If you’re into big RPGs, it’s worth checking that you wouldn’t starting them close to when they’ll be delisted.

Octopath just went up recently.  So all is good there.  It’s more a question if you should play a different JRPG (like DQXI) first that would be gone earlier.

I didn't want to get too off topic with this, none of this matters. The OP said if it's on PC he's not interested. Even if you don't get it on game pass you can still get it on steam or whatever. For me getting the game on game pass would trump the portable factor for full price.

That being said I did get it on switch for full price back in the day not knowing it was going to come to steam.

18 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Bravely Default II 

How does Bravely Default II compare to the first? I also recently bought Bravely Second, but haven't tried it yet. Also, who decided on those names? That's going to confuse people, haha.

16 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Also Bayonetta 2 if you, like many people, skipped the Wii U and haven’t played this yet.

How comfortable is it to control on the Switch Lite? Seems like the kind of game that would feel better with the pro controller (I'm just assuming here).

As for Octopath, I love the art style, but people's reaction turned me off of the game.

1 hour ago, Raggit said:

How does Bravely Default II compare to the first? I also recently bought Bravely Second, but haven't tried it yet. Also, who decided on those names? That's going to confuse people, haha.

How comfortable is it to control on the Switch Lite? Seems like the kind of game that would feel better with the pro controller (I'm just assuming here).

As for Octopath, I love the art style, but people's reaction turned me off of the game.

For Bravely Default II, from what I can tell, if you liked the first game you'll dig this one. That about as far as my impressions go so far - I'll admit I haven't put much time into it! The name thing was because apparently the Japanese audience didn't take too well to Bravely Second, so the director decided to just call the Switch game "II" to help separate it from the second 3DS game. But yeah, that might not help it from confusing people, haha.

As for Bayonetta 2, I've found most action games play perfectly fine on the Lite. Keep in mind I mostly play handhelds "only" so I'm pretty used to using handheld controls and not something like a Pro Controller or Dual Sense or whatever. YMMV.

If you're on the fence about Octopath Traveler, I'm pretty sure there is a demo on the eShop you can try for free. You can make your own call from there. 

OH! If the demo for Triangle Strategy is still up (can't remember if it was a limited time preview demo or not) download that as well. It's kinda like Final Fantasy Tactics, but cranked to 11. :D 

• Like 1

How does Three Houses compare to Fates (No spoilers, please)? I've only played Birthright so far, but it took me quite a while to go through and I caught myself grinding at times. Overall while it was fun and I enjoyed it, I felt like it took me too long to finish, and the ending was unsatisfying. It sort of overstayed its welcome, but I feel like I got that impression because I know there's more to the story to learn about in Conquest and the "proper " ending is in Revelations. I might go through Conquest and Revelations in the future... or I might just watch the Conquest cutscenes on YouTube and play Revelations. 

The reason I bring up Three Houses specifically is because I see it's on sale, haha.

26 minutes ago, Raggit said:

How does Three Houses compare to Fates (No spoilers, please)? I've only played Birthright so far, but it took me quite a while to go through and I caught myself grinding at times. Overall while it was fun and I enjoyed it, I felt like it took me too long to finish, and the ending was unsatisfying. It sort of overstayed its welcome, but I feel like I got that impression because I know there's more to the story to learn about in Conquest and the "proper " ending is in Revelations. I might go through Conquest and Revelations in the future... or I might just watch the Conquest cutscenes on YouTube and play Revelations. 

The reason I bring up Three Houses specifically is because I see it's on sale, haha.

The only other Fire Emblem I've played was Awakening so compared to that, it's uh, well both better and worse I suppose.

The battle system is the same pretty much it just has the addition of a Persona 5 school thing where you're a teacher and forge relationships.

Personally I didn't like how you couldn't create your MC like in Awakening, and you got to choose your starting weapon from what I remember. In this you have to just use a sword.

The added twist is there are multiple houses so different stories depending on what you pick as well.

All that being said it's worth picking up, especially on sale.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The only other Fire Emblem I've played was Awakening so compared to that, it's uh, well both better and worse I suppose.

The battle system is the same pretty much it just has the addition of a Persona 5 school thing where you're a teacher and forge relationships.

Personally I didn't like how you couldn't create your MC like in Awakening, and you got to choose your starting weapon from what I remember. In this you have to just use a sword.

The added twist is there are multiple houses so different stories depending on what you pick as well.

All that being said it's worth picking up, especially on sale.

Sweet. If I don't enjoy it, you'll be the first to know. :p 

I pulled the trigger and pre-ordered the blurple Switch Lite, and picked up Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem and (yes I broke my own rule, fight me) Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero Ultimate Edition. That last one I felt like I'd enjoy having the ability to play it away from my PC as well... for some reason. TBH if Slay the Spire supported cross platform saves I'd get it on the Switch 100%. 

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I'll probably be back with more questions.

26 minutes ago, Raggit said:

How many games/demos/saves do you have on your SD cards, and how much space do you have left?

I have 127 gigs free with 8 games installed

Spoiler
  1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (14.4 gigs)
  2. Splatoon 2 (6.1 gigs)
  3. Octopath Traveler (3.1 gigs)
  4. Senran Kagura Reflexions (7.5 gigs)
  5. Fire Emblem Three Houses (11.6 gigs)
  6. Animal Crossing (7 gigs)
  7. Famicom Detective Club (2 games) (1.9 & 1.6 gigs)

File sizes are from the store page I'm not sure how to see them on the Switch.

Also I have the NES and SNES thing but those probably don't take up a lot of space.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I was going to settle for 128 GB, but I forgot some of these games can be quite large.

Side note: I see Mario 3D All Stars for $80 CAD, should I snatch it?

edit: nvm, I was thinking this was super rare to get at the normal price since they stopped printing it. I see it's still widely available at normal price so I'm not going to rush to get it.

So the Switch Lite arrived on Friday and I tried some demos from the eshop. There are a couple of odd things that I noticed... First, the eshop is laggy. Is that normal?? If I try to quickly change between different menus, it lags a lot. I was a bit surprised. Second... you can't make folders? On my 3Ds I separated my full games and demos using folders. This isn't possible on the Switch? :o I thought I read somewhere they added them in. :/ 

Those issues aside, the Switch Lite is pretty cool and more comfortable to hold than I expected. For some reason these newer style Yoshi games have a certain charm that I like. The Wooly World demo on the 3DS convinced me to buy it, and the Crafted World demo seems pretty cool too. Is it worth full price, though? It's like $80 CAD over here.

The eShop has become a little laggy lately, yes. Not exactly sure what the reason is for that, but yeah. I’ve noticed it, too. It was super snappy for its first couple of years, but yeah sometime between 2019 and now it’s kinda slow(ish). Still pretty quick overall, I’d say. But not like it used to be. 

And no, no folders. They added a couple of different ways to organize your Home Screen, but - so far - the Switch does not have the ability to make folders for your different games.

As for Yoshi’s Crafted World, if you like those kind of games, then yeah! Totally worth it at full price. It’s a good one. And...y’know. It’s a Nintendo first-party title starring one of the biggest and well-known characters from the Super Mario franchise. So it’s not going to go down in price anytime soon.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/18/2021 at 10:49 AM, Raggit said:

I'm back with another question! :p What size microSD card do you suggest getting? What size are you guys using?

I have 2 256 gb cards. Both are almost full, as is my system memory. But I do have a lot of crap that I'll probably never play. 

Just get a 512gb and you won't have to worry about it.

Edit: ok, I responded to a year old question. I'm going to bed.