Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Not too common for us idiots i guess. :(

Well, I don't think it's a matter of intelligence, just if you have a desire to do it ever. Maybe someone is an absolute G and never skills it the whole game. :p

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

On the other hand here's a tip if you're a sick fuck like me who likes to place items on shelves and stuff. These control aren't in the bindings.

Hold A to pick up an object, then it will be suspended in front of you.

Push RT and LT to rotate the object. If you push the left stick button it lets you rotate the object on a different axis.

Then push A to let it go.

if you push X you can throw the object.

I've experimented with this a bit more. You can do this to objects that aren't labeled for you to pick up. Like you can pick up a dead body and move it. You can pick up an explosive canister and throw it. You can even move ladders and stuff like that. Next time you're cruising around in your game see what you can move it might surprise you! :o

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well, I don't think it's a matter of intelligence, just if you have a desire to do it ever. Maybe someone is an absolute G and never skills it the whole game. :p

I've experimented with this a bit more. You can do this to objects that aren't labeled for you to pick up. Like you can pick up a dead body and move it. You can pick up an explosive canister and throw it. You can even move ladders and stuff like that. Next time you're cruising around in your game see what you can move it might surprise you! :o

You could do this in Skyrim too. I believe this is standard Bethesda game design. Probably why they figured they didn't have to tell you. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You're just laying it on, aren't you!

:cry:

I'm pretty sure you can move more shit in this game than you could in the other Bethesda games, but the whole "hold X" to pick things up thing has been in their games since at least Skyrim. Not sure if Oblivion had it. Something else you could also do in the other Bethesda games was adjust the third person camera. I haven't figured out how to do that here yet. I'm loving the game but if I'm honest, I foresee a lot of quality of life improvements coming in the future for menus and stuff. I also wish there was at least a basic cover mechanic for gun fights. 

That said I'm really enjoying the game. It's one of those games that you can just lose yourself in and it only gets better the more familiar you get with the systems. Also I was a bit confused by one of the comments I saw on here earlier. Someone said buildings didn't have windows that you could look out of and I was literally in a building last night that had windows you could look out of. I just thought that was a curious comment unless I misunderstood what they were talking about.

• Hype 1

19 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You could do this in Skyrim too. I believe this is standard Bethesda game design. Probably why they figured they didn't have to tell you. 

You're talking about picking up objects? Yeah I don't think it was the same across all games. I never played Skyrim but I spent hours in Oblivion moving things but you had to do it with telekinesis spells.

Regardless I figured picking things up was in this game it's just not mapped in the controls, it shows controls for everything else but that. 🤷‍♀️

On 9/9/2023 at 10:15 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

image.png

I didn't use all of these suggestions, but with DLSS and a few of the suggestions here and around the web I was able to bump up the resolution to a scaled 1440p. Some spots in major towns still get hit pretty good, but overall the game feels smoother, so when it does dip below 60 it doesn't really feel like it. Outside of major cities I'm always above 60fps. So I think I have my happy medium.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Playing on the Xbox controller has me confused. It feels just like the Nintendo pro controller and I keep getting the buttons mixed up.

I haven't used a standard Xbox controller in years now so I can't remember exactly, but I think you can remap the buttons on the Xbox controller in the console settings under accessories. It wouldn't change the labels on the physical controller, obviously. But this way you wouldn't be fighting your Switch Pro Controller muscle memory.

• Halal 1

38 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Couple things. First I had to lower the in game music to 50%. Shit was way to loud. Second, should I be joining factions like the Vanguard? I’m just staying on the main mission for now. 

eventually. For me this is the kind of game where you should try to experience everything, but you don’t always need to do it in a single play through. You can join which ever faction you want or none of them right now or at all in this okay through. 

I’m sure each faction story eventually gets you some really good stuff. But there’s no perfect play through. You’ll always get something after something else. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Dre801 said:

The shooting feels better than any Bethesda game.   They've finally made shooting feel pretty good.

They did! Shame about the weapon variety, but at least the few guns there are aren't terrible. And by weapon variety I mean guns that handle in a meaningfully different way. The laser and plasma and particle guns all just feel like normal ass guns. Gimme a big fuckin' laser that I can sweep around a room! The cutter is the closest thing and it quickly becomes bad.

But I'll take a few good guns over a huge variety of shitty funs, so it's still a win to me.

12 hours ago, Biggie said:

Couple things. First I had to lower the in game music to 50%. Shit was way to loud. Second, should I be joining factions like the Vanguard? I’m just staying on the main mission for now. 

I'd join factions just because you get really nice things by doing so. 

Spoiler

Like a free upgraded ship!

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Biggie said:

How in the fuck do I return to Atlantis? I feel like this game is confusing just for the sake of being confusing. 

travel to the Alpha Centauri system. Whatever your activate button is you can select a system and see the planets in them too. Allowing you to travel to a specific plant. 

now what I want to know is, How in the fuck do I get lung damage in a sealed environmental suit? I can literally breath on planets with no oxygen or atmosphere of any kind. But a sand storm on a planet where I have to be in my suit gives me lung damage?  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

travel to the Alpha Centauri system. Whatever your activate button is you can select a system and see the planets in them too. Allowing you to travel to a specific plant. 

now what I want to know is, How in the fuck do I get lung damage in a sealed environmental suit? I can literally breath on planets with no oxygen or atmosphere of any kind. But a sand storm on a planet where I have to be in my suit gives me lung damage?  

Thanks I figured it out. I’m in Atlantis running around completing activities and earning XP. Game is finally starting to click. 

9 hours ago, Biggie said:

Thanks I figured it out. I’m in Atlantis running around completing activities and earning XP. Game is finally starting to click. 

Just take your time. It took 25+ hours for me to figure shit out. It's still not entirely user friendly for traveling through the galaxies. 

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Just take your time. It took 25+ hours for me to figure shit out. It's still not entirely user friendly for traveling through the galaxies. 

I love the exploring. Going thru areas/buildings and killing enemies is good stuff. Guns feel great. Probably the best combat has ever felt in a Bethesda game.