Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

I'm starting to really like this shit. Yes, it's a Bethesda game with flaws but it's fun as hell. I just had an epic fight on Mars to take down a leader who was a few levels higher than me. It wasn't easy which I appreciate. It was a side quest so that is why I was under leveled but I still got the job done. 

Visuals are very nice at times and take you by surprise. 

• Halal 1

14 hours ago, Dodger said:

Whenever anyone figured out what the big fuss about NG+ is post it in spoiler tags or something. I want to see what the big deal is.

12 hours ago, Dodger said:

I’ve heard a lot of you need to rush the main story and then do NG+ take’s because that’s where Dark Souls Starfield really begins so I want to know what the deal is

I guarantee it’s nonsense stuff that only bgs fanboys could get excited about.

"First, it’s worth noting that your ship doesn’t need to refuel in Starfield, so don’t try looking for filling stations in spaceports. Your ship refills automatically while you are flying or exploring the planets. In addition, it happens fast enough that you don’t have to worry about it".

:Dunno:

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

"First, it’s worth noting that your ship doesn’t need to refuel in Starfield, so don’t try looking for filling stations in spaceports. Your ship refills automatically while you are flying or exploring the planets. In addition, it happens fast enough that you don’t have to worry about it".

:Dunno:

Ya, I’ve never run out. Sure you just don’t have enough to do it in one jump?

10 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Ya, I’ve never run out. Sure you just don’t have enough to do it in one jump?

Nope. I had to jump to a system closer for now but I still don't have enough fuel. I just checked in a med clinic and the doc said I don't look good at all in which made me laugh out loud. I can help him with a supply issue so this game is fuckin massive.

36 minutes ago, Biggie said:

From all the streams I’ve watched I can’t imagine anyone who is a Bethesda fan not loving this game. 

there are some staples of Bethesda games that if they bothered you in other titles they will bother you here. But it does feel like a game that if you like space, and could like either Fallout or Elder Scrolls despite or because of them, then Starfield should be a not brainer. Starfield isn’t a space game. It’s a Role Playing Game in space. This could be the first Bethesda RPG a person could like, if the settings and themes of FO and ES never clicked with them, but 1980s-2000s space scifi setting and themes do click with them. 

Im still very early into my adventure, and there is quite a bit of the game’s systems I haven’t even messed with. The game isn’t perfect or even close. If I had to give a score so far I’d say it’s a solid 8/10. This game has me hooked now, and I don’t see that going away any time soon. 

• Halal 2

I have a full time job working a litteral shift lol. This game is something else. 

If I can give a tip is fuckin scan everything and EVERYWHERE. This game is slowly turning into what I'd imagined it would be. Todd Howard might not be a liar after all. :p

29 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Pro tip: Pick a faction early and focus on beating its questline first becaue aside fro mgetting lots of XP, and credits you also get: 

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you!

• Halal 1

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Todd Howard might not be a liar after all. :p

It’s more probable that he was very specific with his word choices. He didn’t lie, but it may not have been true in the way some people wanted. 

some took the “see that moon. You can go to that moon” as you could fly from a planet to its moon in a seamless space environment. Like you can in No Man’s Sky. But you still can go to that moon. You just have a traversal cutscene and a loading screen. Then you have a loading screen and cutscene to land on it. Honestly, this is always how I figured space travel in Starfield would work.

While so far fuel works exactly how I wanted it to. To the point where they didn’t even need to call it “fuel” as it feels more tied to the power of your grav engine in whether you can make the jump or not in single jump. It’s looks very similar to how Star Wars handles hyperspace engines and hyperspace lanes. 

If I had a criticism of ship travel it’s that following my leaving a planet the game loads you looking at the planet. The planet should be to my back. This bothers me every time as it falls into the category of “immersion breaking” more than the camera shift to a cutscene leaving the planet.  

of all the complaints about how segmented the game world feels, the area it bothers me the most is leaving and entering the ship. Whether docked or landed I wish this above anything else was seamless. Even if it was like in Mass Effect 1 with a short gameplay in-universe delay to load the area. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Now I'm out of fuel and have to pull up google to get off of Mars lol. I even bought a new engine thinking that would fix the issue and nope. I'm an idiot though as you guys know. 

How are you "out" of fuel?  I didn't even think there was a fuel mechanic, all fuel factors into is how far you can travel I thought?

• Halal 1

I can understand some of the nit picks.

My biggest issue are the maps on the planets/cities, and no land vehicles.  They ask you to travel relatively far at times on planet, and seems allowing some form of vehicle would have been a cool addition, espeically if you could customize it a bit like the Ships.  Maybe it'll come in the future.

Other than that I adore the game so far.  I love big sandbox style games that give you the freedom to make your own stories and craft your own experiences.  And thus far this game is just really delivering.  Exploring the cities has been a lot of fun as I've into some charactrs that have given me some reall fun side quests that could have easily been missed.

Also randomly traveled to some star systems, and picked up an SoS call that pulled me into another side mission that turned out to be fun that I couldve easily never experienced.

I'm probably 10-15 hours in, Lvl 9 or 10, but its just been exactly what I'd expect.

I feel like people knocking it for not being a No Mans Sky game level of exploration in terms of flying around space and landing on planets are creating some new requirement for a game that they dont do for others.  Every game has tons of limitations, they need to.  Just because its a space game doesnt mean it has to do everything every other space game ever made has done. It's a Bethesda game set in space, and thsu far, I think they've pulled it off pretty well.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

39 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I can understand some of the nit picks.

My biggest issue are the maps on the planets/cities, and no land vehicles.  They ask you to travel relatively far at times on planet, and seems allowing some form of vehicle would have been a cool addition, espeically if you could customize it a bit like the Ships.  Maybe it'll come in the future.

Other than that I adore the game so far.  I love big sandbox style games that give you the freedom to make your own stories and craft your own experiences.  And thus far this game is just really delivering.  Exploring the cities has been a lot of fun as I've into some charactrs that have given me some reall fun side quests that could have easily been missed.

Also randomly traveled to some star systems, and picked up an SoS call that pulled me into another side mission that turned out to be fun that I couldve easily never experienced.

I'm probably 10-15 hours in, Lvl 9 or 10, but its just been exactly what I'd expect.

I feel like people knocking it for not being a No Mans Sky game level of exploration in terms of flying around space and landing on planets are creating some new requirement for a game that they dont do for others.  Every game has tons of limitations, they need to.  Just because its a space game doesnt mean it has to do everything every other space game ever made has done. It's a Bethesda game set in space, and thsu far, I think they've pulled it off pretty well.

I completely agree with everything you said. It’s jammed pack full of details and there is side quests all over that are "hidden". Just a massive game but yes, I just ran out of fuel once again so I must not be doing something right. I'm STILL figuring out how to traverse through the galaxy because it's not exactly easy imo. 

A few more hours in and the only other oddity that has come up is that it's not always clear when doing a thing will "magically" complete a quest or if I'll have to FedEx myself to do it. Which quest does which is seemingly random. I had this one quest where someone asked me to install something somewhere that would let them track someone else. I did it, then I had to report back to that person. As I walked up to them, they asked if I'd installed it yet. When I initiated dialog with them, they told me they saw data come through and they just needed to wait to see if the person they were tracking came by. I started another chat with her immediately after that and she told me the tracker worked, they found the person they were looking for, and that the situation was resolved. At other times I have conversations with people where I complete quests and get immediately paid remotely. It's weird.

How are the loading times on consoles? There is SO MUCH loading in this game.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

How are the loading times on consoles? There is SO MUCH loading in this game.

The initial load up on Series X is terrible. Then you have a ton more loading everywhere else and they aren't exactly short. It's my main issue with the game tbh. 

33 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I just ran out of fuel once again so I must not be doing something right

Is the game allowing you to attempt a jump beyond what your “fuel” capacity would allow? 

also, I still can’t seem to land at New Atlantis from the Star map. Am I locked back out until I get to a later point in the story or is this some kind of bug? I can land at any other city or point of interest on a planet. It seems to just be New Atlantis I can’t go back to. 

19 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

probably already covered to death, but definitely their CPU from what I can tell. I have a 3070ti and I get above 60fps just about everywhere but New Atlantis. Indoor zones I’m often at 120fps. 

wow, the FOV mod is a life saver. I was getting headaches playing at the stock FOV. 

PC performance is borderline trash for how this game looks especially since it runs fine on an xbox 

7800x3d and a 4090 only gets you 93 fps at 1080p, you should be getting that at a minimum at 4k. 4k ends up sub 60fps regardless of GPU

38 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

so wtf are you supposed to do when you are thrown into a space battler that you just cant win????  quest tells me to go to planet and as soon as i enter its a battle and just get wrecked. repair does nothing.

I think i know what space battle you mean and if so, just go do another faction and come back later. 

• Halal 1

32 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Is the game allowing you to attempt a jump beyond what your “fuel” capacity would allow?

Yes it's letting me attempt but I can't because of not enough fuel. I've figured somethings out but this game is kinda confusing. I played 6 hours straight today though so that's saying something!

Oh these mods are getting good!

569-1693764811-212834361.png
WWW.NEXUSMODS.COM

Jetpacks now work with pressing and holding buttons, instead of being single press.

Default jetpack suuuucks. This jetpack is far superior.

6 minutes ago, elbobo said:

PC performance is borderline trash for how this game looks especially since it runs fine on an xbox 

7800x3d and a 4090 only gets you 93 fps at 1080p, you should be getting that at a minimum at 4k. 4k ends up sub 60fps regardless of GPU

Yay DLSS mod! I get that at 3440x1440, far above 100 FPS most places.

24 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Did they pay 7.5 billion dollars for those games/studios? Much easier to turn a profit. But I do agree with you. This will never come to Playstation it will stay an exclusive. 

God damnit I will flex this ONE time, seriously just this once, but you fucking better not vote for Trump next year. Pm your address and you get an SX.

• Shocked 2
  • Halal 1
  • Hype 1