Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (20 Apr 2024) - US House passes military aid bill for Ukraine

3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

What’s Russia’s equivalent of the National Guard? Couldn’t be more than 25k of them sitting around given the ongoing war effort, no?

Rosgvardiya would be the equivalent, and they have armoured vehicles and other things. The vehicles being deployed in Moscow and Rostov right now are likely from them.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Reports (unconfirmed) that a large Wagner column has left Ukraine and crossed into Russia, headed towards Novocherkask (Rostov province), the local command station of the theatre. Their official telegram channel just posted "It Begins." 

Russia's persecutor general has just charged Prigozhin with organizing an armed insurrection.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

So, I haven’t been following this all too closely and honestly I never hear anyone talk about it besides right wingers who especially lately seem to keep wanting to complain about giving money to Ukraine along with at least a wink that they are on Russia’s side here. 

So, without adding a bunch of dogshit to my algorithm on google by looking into this, can someone give me a brief summary of why right wingers seem to be pro Russia here? Is it that they are on Russia’s side simply because it’s the wrong thing to support as often is the case? Or is there some financial incentive for donors to push supporting Russia? 

I get how they could get caught up in a “all our money is going out of country” news cycle but this seems more specifically pro Russia than that.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

So, I haven’t been following this all too closely and honestly I never hear anyone talk about it besides right wingers who especially lately seem to keep wanting to complain about giving money to Ukraine along with at least a wink that they are on Russia’s side here. 

So, without adding a bunch of dogshit to my algorithm on google by looking into this, can someone give me a brief summary of why right wingers seem to be pro Russia here? Is it that they are on Russia’s side simply because it’s the wrong thing to support as often is the case? Or is there some financial incentive for donors to push supporting Russia? 

I get how they could get caught up in a “all our money is going out of country” news cycle but this seems more specifically pro Russia than that.

While I think some of it may be because the opposition party is in the White House right now, the Chuds are rooting for Putin because Trump is a big fan of the Russian President.  Remember when Trump called Putin a genius at the beginning of the invasion?  

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

While I think some of it may be because the opposition party is in the White House right now, the Chuds are rooting for Putin because Trump is a big fan of the Russian President.  Remember when Trump called Putin a genius at the beginning of the invasion?  

They were pro-Russian when the opposition party WAS in the minority opposition. 

Just now, mclumber1 said:

I was going to also raise that as a possibility but was almost hoping it would somehow be less stupid than than simping for trump :(

Just now, stepee said:

I was going to also raise that as a possibility but was almost hoping it would somehow be less stupid than than simping for trump :(

In general, there's basically been a flip on the most hard line right wingers on Russia. It's less about Trump and more about culture war nonsense. That preceded Trump and has been growing for a while. The new Communistic Bad Guy is China. Russia, to the right wingers, is a shining example of how to meld church and state in a way the Founding Fathers intended. Trump was channeling Russia support/defense of Russia purely for personal reasons and didn't really go into any of this. 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

They were pro-Russian when the opposition party WAS in the minority opposition. 

As late as 2012, the GOP was largely aligned with the idea that Russia was America's biggest geopolitical foe - Romney was largely criticized for stating that.

To the American right-wing, Russia is the "Third Rome" of Christianity (after the original and Constantinople) and represents a bulwark against the the "degenerancy" of "liberalism".

The dominant doctine of the Russian Empire was "Orthodoxy, Autocracy, and Nationality" - it doesn't really take that much imagination to see how that would be appealing to the American right.

That makes sense! I was just curious and that was a lot easier than wading through God knows what to try to get an answer lol 

Edit: I guess also I don’t want to ask them and get into it but what is the reason that they are being told to support Russia for? Like I’m sure if I asked why they are pro russia they have some reason that is definitely something else that they saw on social media or fox news - what is that? 

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

That makes sense! I was just curious and that was a lot easier than wading through God knows what to try to get an answer lol 

Edit: I guess also I don’t want to ask them and get into it but what is the reason that they are being told to support Russia for? Like I’m sure if I asked why they are pro russia they have some reason that is definitely something else that they saw on social media or fox news - what is that? 

Orthodoxy, Autocracy, and Nationality