Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

India has a long-standing political/economic/military relationship with Russia, stretching back to the days of the Soviet Union.

During the latter stages of the Cold War (1970s to 1980s), the US/China/Pakistan formed one axis while the USSR/India formed another.

I didn’t realize they were so close. I feel pretty ignorant on that one. I thought we had made some progress with them, but now that I’m looking into it, it seems they are good friends. 

1 minute ago, Massdriver said:

I didn’t realize they were so close. I feel pretty ignorant on that one. I thought we had made some progress with them, but now that I’m looking into it, it seems they are good friends. 

I think our cozying up to India has been specifically with regard to China. 

6 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Yep. I misread it into thinking India was more generally becoming friendly to the US. That is not the case unfortunately. 

There is no doubt that India's relationship with the United States has "warmed" since the Dubya administration, but India's self-interest will always take precedence.

Besides, India is ruled by what is an effectively quasi-fascist Hindu supremacist party (imagine a Hindu version of the GOP), so I'm totally fine with keeping them at arms-length.

11 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Someone on resetera asked why Zelenskyy would possibly stay as the Russians close in. 

vdBsine.png

The answer is correct, and is ingrained in the culture of Ukraine (and eastern Europe in general). There is a much greater sense of self-sacrifice (for your family, greater good) than in western Europe/North America. These sorts of hero myths are strong, there. This is why you have Zelenskyy staying, and Klitschko and Poroshenko taking up arms. Is that view considered outdated in our own society? Probably. But it's realistic and pragmatic in defense of their own country and people.

It's fucking beautiful and inspiring, is what it is.

• Ukraine 1

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Can you imagine any of Canada or the US' leaders (modern day) staying while being encircled by an enemy that will surely kill you?

Nope, cause one went snowmobiling and the other apparently went skiing a few weeks ago. Plus that old Cheeto fella was like Putin, but thankfully had people smart enough/brave enough to stand up to his lead.