Supreme Court’s pro-Facebook ruling could unleash “flood” of robocalls: robocall systems aren't "autodialers" if they don't generate random numbers.

The court got it right and it also seems like a pretty simple fix. We actually need a whole new law that modernizes consumer protections in this regard. Spam calls and texts are really getting out of hand.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The court got it right and it also seems like a pretty simple fix. We actually need a whole new law that modernizes consumer protections in this regard. Spam calls and texts are really getting out of hand.

Hi, I'm from the car dealership and would like to talk to you about your auto warranty.

4 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Hi, I'm from the car dealership and would like to talk to you about your auto warranty.

The call I get the most is about winning a vacation package, which persisted even during the worst of the pandemic.

I also get a TON of spam texts asking if my property at some random address is still for sale.

36 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I'm sure this Congress will get right on that. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

I don’t even answer my phone anymore unless I recognize the number or am expecting a phone call from a new number. I just let it go to voicemail.

Yup.

I also get a TON of text message spam with obviously malicious links. I just block each one and mark them as spam. It's obnoxious.

10 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

The only spam calls I get are long pauses of silence interrupted by a choking sob and if I say anything someone screams you'll pay for what you did, then hangs up. I might stop answering too. 

:ana:

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Yup.

I also get a TON of text message spam with obviously malicious links. I just block each one and mark them as spam. It's obnoxious.

Blocking the numbers is pointless, they're basically all spoofed. 

What does work is if where you live doesn't match your area code, just blanket block your entire area code except for ones in your contacts list. Like I live in California so I have no reason like calls from doctors' offices or whatever to be able to receive calls from random New Jersey (my cell phone number's area code) numbers, and most of my junk calls are spoofed to match not just my area code but also my exchange. 

26 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

I don’t even answer my phone anymore unless I recognize the number or am expecting a phone call from a new number. I just let it go to voicemail.

I got a spam call the other day that just had a name listed (it rang in as Kyle [something or other]). I haven't had that happen before. I answered it because I assumed it was a contact I had saved for some reason.

54 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

The answer isn't to have the Supreme Court twist existing law to fit the modern problem.  The answer is to have Congress create a law (or update the existing one) to cover this emerging scenario. 

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The answer isn't to have the Supreme Court twist existing law to fit the modern problem.  The answer is to have Congress create a law (or update the existing one) to cover this emerging scenario. 

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm sure this Congress will get right on that. 

12 minutes ago, johnny said:

the calls i get are about my auto warranty of it’s in an asian language 

the texts i get are usually about winning something 

How do you know it's about your auto warranty if it's in an Asian language?

I don’t think getting a spam call/text fix passed is difficult, even given current legislative conditions. There is good reason to believe current law actually allows the FCC to fix it now with the powers currently granted.

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I get calls for my interest in solar panels even though I’ve never looked into it always from 480 numbers that I can’t keep up with blocking. Also tons of calls in Chinese from my numbers that are similar to mine.

Blocking does nothing because they are using VoIP to spoof the number.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:
gettyimages-884707082_wide-9a59ad80976ee
WWW.NPR.ORG

The Mandarin-language messages are part of a "parcel scam" that falsely accuses Chinese immigrants of money laundering and then extorts them.

I have a 626 number and I’m sure your aware of the large Chinese (and other Asian) community in the SGV so that might be it.