Peacock is reviewing the entire WWE library to pull anything it deems offensive...

16 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

That's gonna be very few episodes when they're done pruning! :lol:

That's what I'm saying. I don't really watch much wrestling these days, but I watched a WHOLE lot of wrestling I'm the 80s, 90s, and early 00s. If they're looking to chop out the offensive segments, but not pull the entire episode, there are going to be a whole bunch of 15 minute episodes all over the place.

Maybe a thorough review of the content was in line before they paid a billion dollars for it.

Also. you guys mention the Attitude Era is bad, but the entire Golden Era 80's is a quagmire of racial, ethnic, and cultural stereotypes portrayed as "the bad guy".

Kamala the Ugandan Giant was a guy named James from Mississippi....

I guess I can see cutting the Vinnie n-bomb as low hanging fruit, but anything else and you are basically setting yourself on a path where you are trimming the content till there is little left.

So long everything mid-South wrestling. Plus, this is a rush job to get everything edited before this years Wrestlemania, so there will probably be more edits done due to the hasty nature of Peacock wanting to benefit from cross promotion. And let's not even talk about how this is only a US thing while every other country won't have to go through them and won't have content censored.

• Shocked 1

On 3/26/2021 at 6:48 PM, Chairslinger said:

Maybe a thorough review of the content was in line before they paid a billion dollars for it.

I remember when Bob Costas confronted Vince about this segment.

The thing is, I don't mind it as as storyline. He demeaned Trish, he fired and humiliated Foley, he drove his wife into some comatose state, and every single person got revenge on Vince at Wrestlemania. Trish slapping Vince at the event received a momentous pop; it was earned, the woman getting back at a powerful, power-hungry cretin.

It's different than Wrestlemania 19 when HHH said guys like Booker T are there to entertain, to dance, but can never get far, and you have nappy hair, and then beats Booker and that's the end of the story.

Piper/BNB at WM6 and Vince/Cena/Booker "Wassup my n*gga" have been confirmed as removed already. Next big news is that they hit a road bump with Big Bossman matches and what they want to do about his confederate flag patch. Blur it, completely remove all of his matches for right now, or edit matches down so that his right arm never shows on camera (somehow)...

On 3/26/2021 at 7:00 PM, Jason said:

This would be a perfect place to just slap one of those "content warnings, historical context, yada yada" disclaimers at the start of every episode and call it a day.

This 100% ... but because too many people get their feelings hurt, corporations are instead editing out history (regardless of context, the aforementioned content warning should be well more than enough) ... god dammit.

15 hours ago, SoberChef said:

This 100% ... but because too many people get their feelings hurt, corporations are instead editing out history (regardless of context, the aforementioned content warning should be well more than enough) ... god dammit.

I think the thing they don't want to acknowledge is how recent this is. Nobody bats an eye when Disney is putting these historic context labels on content created in years of Jim Crow. The stuff Peacock is looking to cut out was created in the last ~30 years.