Update: Sony acquires minority stake in Discord, announces plan to integrate with PSN in 2022

Commissar SFLUFAN

Microsoft also rebranding Xbox Live to Xbox Network.  With their plans of a Cross-Play future, having better Discord integration with Xbox might be a smart play.  The Xbox Party App on PC works well enough, but having Discord just work within Xbox will be night and day better.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Discord exploring sale that could value the company over $10 billion, update: Microsoft is a potential buyer
28 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Just think, this is also after Microsoft just spent $7.5 billion on Bethesda.  Crazy amounts of money. Microsoft is cementing their position into the gaming world with money lol. 

People at the time of the Bethesda acquisition were comparing it to Disney getting star wars for (2 billion?) and how that was a bargain. Now Bethesda looks like the bargain in comparison to this. :p

I like Microsoft, but I kinda wish they would stop doing this. They bought into Mixer and then severely mismanaged it, wasting millions and millions of dollars on a handful of streamers when they could have been spreading that wealth among smaller streamers that actually needed it. Then when that didn't work, they shut the whole damn thing down, cutting off revenue streams for so many people.

I know Discord isn't the same thing, but I can totally see MS buying it, trying to cram it into everything, and then when it dries up cuz MS is "uncool" they'll drop it like they did the Zune (which people joke about but was actually pretty awesome).

The best thing MS could do if they did buy Discord would be to leave everything exactly as it is, don't put their name all over it, and for God's sake, don't fucking rebrand it.

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2021 at 10:40 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

The best thing MS could do if they did buy Discord would be to leave everything exactly as it is, don't put their name all over it, and for God's sake, don't fucking rebrand it.

I concur. 

Also, I recently came upon some Discord trivia: Apparently, they chose the name "Discord" mainly because it was one of the few single words not currently in use for a product or service, then came up with the meaning of it attempting to solve the discord that was happening with gamers trying to find ways of communicating for online games! 

So yeah, please don't rebrand it.

Just now, GameDadGrant said:

I concur. 

Also, I recently came upon some Discord trivia: Apparently, they chose the name "Discord" mainly because it was one of the few single words not currently in use for a product or service, then came up with the meaning of it attempting to solve the discord that was happening with gamers trying to find ways of communicating for online games! 

So yeah, please don't rebrand it.

So if they rebranded it it might cause some discord? :thinking:

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Discord and MS have ended acquisition discussions
1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

For now, they get to remain in full control of their business model, which is how they built their user base in the first place.

They built their userbase as an alternative to Steam's crappy chat, but steam copied them. Now It just so happens it's much more easier to send out discord invites for everyone than it is adding someone on steam, so they still have that going for them.

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They built their userbase as an alternative to Steam's crappy chat, but steam copied them. Now It just so happens it's much more easier to send out discord invites for everyone than it is adding someone on steam, so they still have that going for them.

Its a lot more than that.  Discord isn’t beholden to a single storefront/platform.  It has broader reach.

They own the video game community chat space in the same way that Twitch owns the streaming space.