The American tax system is practiced cruelty

V3DRR18.jpg

This is a VITA return I did today; the taxpayer is a single parent of four who lost virtually all of their income, and is in the process of filing for disability. Because of the arbitrary phase in of the EIC and CTC, they are getting $349 for their troubles, whereas last year they received nearly $9,000. 

This republic deserves to fail. 

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Would be cool if they put back in the medical expenses thing and the donations thing that Trump removed.

I'm not aware of any changes Trump made to the typical guidance on donations, but the CARES Act allows any taxpayer to deduct up to $300 in cash donations (usually you have to itemize to deduct donations).

10 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I agree.  Institute a flat tax and universal basic income with no means testing.  

I'll offer a compromise: UBI with no means testing, 100% marginal rate on incomes over $5,000,0000/year, 100% wealth tax on net worth over $10,000,000, and only a few billionaires and their families will be tortured to death for sport.

I think this is more than reasonable!

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'll offer a compromise: UBI with no means testing, 100% marginal rate on incomes over $5,000,0000/year, 100% wealth tax on net worth over $10,000,000, and only a few billionaires and their families will be tortured to death for sport.

Wade I’m gonna nut

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

We would need a new system to distribute this money, because I don't think we should trust our currently elected public officials to enact policies with all of this money they would control.

29 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

We would need a new system to distribute this money, because I don't think we should trust our currently elected public officials to enact policies with all of this money they would control.

The distribution would occur through the UBI, enhanced social services, and the establishment of a national sovereign wealth fund.