Reports of CInema's Death MAY Have Been Greatly Exaggerated UPDATE: NYC Cinemas to Reopen March 5

Well of course, people are dying to get out and do something social and "normal." I wasn't a big fan of going to the movies to begin with because there's always some jackass who's very clearly sick hacking up a lung every time I go, on top of theater hygiene just being gross in general, but even I wouldn't mind going out and seeing a movie... a few weeks after I get both shots.

15 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Well of course, people are dying to get out and do something social and "normal." I wasn't a big fan of going to the movies to begin with because there's always some jackass who's very clearly sick hacking up a lung every time I go, on top of theater hygiene just being gross in general, but even I wouldn't mind going out and seeing a movie... a few weeks after I get both shots.

You’re either a germaphobe or you live in a really gross town lol

• skillzdadirecta changed the title to Reports of CInema's Death MAY Have Been Greatly Exaggerated UPDATE: NYC Cinemas to Reopen March 5
2 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Any big movies going to coincide with a March timetable?

Disney’s Raya at the beginning, Godzilla Vs Kong at the end of the month. I feel like May is the month where we will see a more substantial return to normal scheduling.

I'll be going back as soon as I'm vaccinated and once there are movies to see. I haven't really looked at the release schedule, but I feel like there's little that will be unavailable to stream in the near future. I suspect summer we might start seeing more big movies with a more normal release schedule.

On 2/24/2021 at 6:21 AM, silentbob said:

Some Ontario Cinemas will be opening and same in Quebec. I think at a 25% capacity and no selling of any concession food to help keep masks on

From everything I understand about how movie theaters operate how can they afford to be open without concessions?

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

From everything I understand about how movie theaters operate how can they afford to be open without concessions?

Yeah I’m a little confused on that as well, because they can sell concession for Uber Eats. I remember when I worked at the theatre I was told new releases were like 90% to distributer and 10% for the cinema company. Those margins changed the longer a movie stayed in theatres though. When I got hired a large pop was $4.25 with free refill and cost us roughly 7.5 cents per purchase. I believe they said 5 cents for the cup and 2.5 cents for the syrup and water in the cup, and same for popcorn costing closer to 10 cents for bag/kernels. So you can see there where all the money went but those prices were from 20 years ago, but should work out about the same with price fluctuations of the product themselves, and Cineplex took away free refills for large pop/popcorn purchase some 10-12 years ago due to “health and safety” concerns