Whatcha gonna do, when Quantumania runs wild on you!

13 hours ago, sblfilms said:

not great. Much less fun than the first two, and feels too big for its own good. I long for the days of small stories.

Sad Koala GIF

Is this a case where the scale was just too big for Peyton Reed? You know...in spite of the actual scale being microscopic. I have enjoyed his Ant-Man movies, but not everyone is the right fit for some grand scale sci-fi epic.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, Paul Rudd is 53 years old, it's going to catch up with him ultimately. I haven't seen the movie but in general I've thought he still looks fine. I mean, people think Keanu Reeves is ageless and while he looks great at 58 years old, he definitely looks older than he used to.

Crazy to think that Clueless came out 28 years ago & Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers as well. 

• True 1

Ant-man on track to see Marvel again grow the audience of one of the sub-franchises with Quantumania being the largest opener of the trilogy.

I think there is a real possibility that the 6th Avengers movie could break 3 billion globally as the MCU continues to grow as a force in the market. 

Feige and his team are just soooo good at this. Not fair 😂

Just came back from this. Very fun movie with a lot of CLEAR Star Wars references and influence. I wonder if it's TOO weird for general audiences. Jonathan Majors is great as Kang and I thought Cassie was very good too. One thing is CLEAR to me though..

Spoiler

For those worrying if Kang is a big enough baddie to take up Phase four, don't worry. He's not the main villain... him or his variants. With the mention of the incursions they are building up to The Beyonder and Secret Wars possibly. Also i expect we'll be seeing Iron Lad and the rest of the Young Avengers at this point since a bunch of them have been introduced now. Kate Bishop, Cassie Lang, Eli Bradley and Scarlet Witches' sons have all been introduced in the cinematic universe

I'm excited for what's coming.

• Halal 2

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Just came back from this. Very fun movie with a lot of CLEAR Star Wars references and influence. I wonder if it's TOO weird for general audiences. Jonathan Majors is great as Kang and I thought Cassie was very good too. One thing is CLEAR to me though..

Hide contents

For those worrying if Kang is a big enough baddie to take up Phase four, don't worry. He's not the main villain... him or his variants. With the mention of the incursions they are building up to The Beyonder and Secret Wars possibly. Also i expect we'll be seeing Iron Lad and the rest of the Young Avengers at this point since a bunch of them have been introduced now. Kate Bishop, Cassie Lang, Eli Bradley and Scarlet Witches' sons have all been introduced in the cinematic universe

I'm excited for what's coming.

Agree. This phase has been about transitioning the MCU to total comics madhouse! 

• Halal 1

It’s a little hard for me to really criticize the quirky camp that permeates so much of the movie when that is clearly the intent, but more often than not, the tone of the movie just didn’t work for me. I really don’t have any issue with weird per se, but it really felt that by and large, the movie’s reach exceeded its grasp. 

I was a little bummed. I really enjoyed the first two, so feeling somewhat underwhelmed or disappointed was really, well, disappointing. Part of that is almost certainly a failure to live up to some hype/hope/expectations that I had, so I can’t really fault the movie entirely for that. 

But on the whole, I think it was (aside from a brief couple moments) a lackluster start to the next phase, and a pretty underwhelming introduction to the next Big Bad. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GoldenTongue said:

a pretty underwhelming introduction to the next Big Bad. 

As i said in my spoiler

Spoiler

He's not the big bad of this phase. They're building to something bigger than him... the threat that he was talking about in the comics is the Beyonder and his race of omnipotent "Q-from-Star-Trek-like" beings. Shit they may retcon Galactus into being one of these beings or a Celestial. Kang and his various persona (Immortus, Rama Tut and the Scarlet Centurion, we saw a glimpse of them in the post credit scene, are all Red Herrings. The Beyonder is coming.

So this was fine. I liked it. It's not great. And as @sblfilms said, it's the least "fun" of the Ant-Man movies so far.

Spoilers below...

Is Disney punishing Evangilne Lilly for her anti vax bullshit? Because for an "Ant-Man and The Wasp" movie you could cut The Wasp and almost nothing would change. I feel like she barely had any lines.

Modok was uuuh... something? He gets one scene where he just mops the floor with everyone to set him up as deadly and then he's a punchline for the rest of the movie.

Almost the entire cast of the quantum realm gets short shrift. I appreciate that a lot of the microverse characters here have less history and clout than some of the other MCU side characters we've seen to date but still.

Majors was great, which isn't surprising. He's acting like he's in a better movie than he is. Also the least realistic thing to happen in the entire MCU to date is Paul Rudd managing to hang in a fist fight with Majors. :p But while Kang isn't going to be the ultimate baddie in this phase, it feels a BIT weird to set him up as his multiverse conquering menace then have him get KO'd by ants and the same trick Janet played on him 30 years ago. But again, put Majors in everything, he rules.

Also after the insufferable "Thanos was right" takes, if they make Kang have a salient point about nuking timelines, I'm going to lose my actual shit.

For as big as the alleged impact of this movie is supper to be on the MCU, so much of this feels low stakes. Scott has essentially no conflict in this movie. There's some halfhearted banter between him and Cassie about Ant-Man not doing more to help people but as soon as he's given the opportunity to help, he does. Everyone kept stuff about Cassie secret from Scott but that doesn't matter. Janet kept stuff from everyone, but that doesn't matter. People kept stuff from Janet, but that doesn't matter. Every possible point of friction is smoothed over immediately. Love and Thunder at least gets Thor ready for the next stage in his life and sends off Jane. Stuff like Iron Man 3 at least moved the needle for Tony within that movie, even if the larger MCU papered over that in Infinity War. This movie mainly feels like it exists solely to introduce Kang to people who haven't seen Loki.

So I dunno. Moment to moment it's not like it's unenjoyable, it's the MCU equivalent of filling up on bread. But as someone who still just appreciates superhero movies not being shit like they were when I was a kid, I can't get mad. :p

That said whoever decided that Michael Peña shouldn't be in this needs a talking to.

• Like 2

Yeah Michael Pena and the Russian dude not being in this was a huge missed oportunity and that might be why folks didn't think this one was as fun as the other two. Hopfully they bring those guys back at some point.

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

saw it today, enjoyed it. Has some very cool visuals, but didn't have the hilarious charm of the previous movies, and like others I blame that on the absence of Pena, though how they would have wedged him in there I'm not sure. 

Spoiler

Easy, he and the Russian guy could have been there when Cassie turned on the device. Maybe they were helping her build it or something and they get sucked down to the Quantum Realm with everyone else. Could have made for some fun comedy moments...

Although I suspect they were cut because the cast was pretty large already and they had to give Ms. Pfeifer more screen time... probably was home they managed to snag her in the first place. She still looks good for a woman pushing what, 70?

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

saw it today, enjoyed it. Has some very cool visuals, but didn't have the hilarious charm of the previous movies, and like others I blame that on the absence of Pena, though how they would have wedged him in there I'm not sure

My brother in Cthulhu, this movie features sentient nanoscopic jello made of potable goo whose juices act as a universal translator when consumed and you're wondering how they could have justified like... a normal guy being around and saying words?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

My brother in Cthulhu, this movie features sentient nanoscopic jello made of potable goo whose juices act as a universal translator when consumed and you're wondering how they could have justified like... a normal guy being around and saying words?

fair enough, but I don't see a reason for him to be there when the machine gets turned on as they were having a 'family' moment. 

57 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

fair enough, but I don't see a reason for him to be there when the machine gets turned on as they were having a 'family' moment. 

It's not a stretch that Luis and the Russian dude would be considered "Family" at this point in the story and could be Cassie's fake Uncles who helped look out for her while Scott was gone. They could have easily had those guys there but again, my guess is they cut them to make room for all of the other cast members because they really wouldn't have added anything BUT comic relief. I doubt we've seen the last of them though.

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah Michael Pena and the Russian dude not being in this was a huge missed oportunity and that might be why folks didn't think this one was as fun as the other two. Hopfully they bring those guys back at some point.

Reveal hidden contents

Although I suspect they were cut because the cast was pretty large already and they had to give Ms. Pfeifer more screen time... probably was home they managed to snag her in the first place. She still looks good for a woman pushing what, 70?

David Dastmalchian was in Quantumania however, just via voice work for a character.