The internet of things sure is a great idea.

I've just begun planning out and developing my own smart home devices using Raspberry Pis. This means my devices will be backed by Linux and I'll be able to establish my own security as needed. It also means I can fully customize how I want my smart devices to work. And it will all just be plain fun.

If anyone is curious, my first project that's starting to get off the ground is building a "smart clock" which uses a very different way of presenting time, calendar, etc. information. Long-term, I'll be evolving it into my own kind of Amazon Echo, and if I can manage it, I'll give it a personality closer to GLaDOS because that's way more fun. I'll be open sourcing it and sharing it if anyone else cares.

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, legend said:

I've just begun planning out and developing my own smart home devices using Raspberry Pis. This means my devices will be backed by Linux and I'll be able to establish my own security as needed. It also means I can fully customize how I want my smart devices to work. And it will all just be plain fun.

If anyone is curious, my first project that's starting to get off the ground is building a "smart clock" which uses a very different way of presenting time, calendar, etc. information. Long-term, I'll be evolving it into my own kind of Amazon Echo, and if I can manage it, I'll give it a personality closer to GLaDOS because that's way more fun. I'll be open sourcing it and sharing it if anyone else cares.

Halfway through this post, @legend was acquired by @Amazon

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, legend said:

I have no fucking clue half of what you just said, and I thought I understood technology. I need to get up on this before I get even older. :p 

2 hours ago, legend said:

I got a Raspberry Pi and am using it to share an external hard drive on my local network. But I know fuck all about setting up the security side and had to turn on SMB 1.1 to get my Windows machine to be able to connect to the samba server, which is also a security no-no apparently. I want to set up a pi hole but I feel like I'd fuck up the security somehow for enabling my phone to use it from anywhere.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I got a Raspberry Pi and am using it to share an external hard drive on my local network. But I know fuck all about setting up the security side and had to turn on SMB 1.1 to get my Windows machine to be able to connect to the samba server, which is also a security no-no apparently. I want to set up a pi hole but I feel like I'd fuck up the security somehow for enabling my phone to use it from anywhere.

I'm not a security guy either, but when you control the networking software *and* the network, you can customize exactly what is allowed and on what channels. You can even encrypt your data transfer directly to other known systems with only locally stored credentials.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I want to set up a pi hole but I feel like I'd fuck up the security somehow for enabling my phone to use it from anywhere.

I set up one using the pi zero, it was less then impressive. Most sites are on to it so you end spending a lot of time constantly updating it.

4 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I set up one using the pi zero, it was less then impressive. Most sites are on to it so you end spending a lot of time constantly updating it.

That sucks. The other thing I'm considering setting up is a Plex server but I have the same concern about how to access it securely while away from home.