Best Gaming Graphics of 2020, Best Games of 2020, and Best PC Games of 2020 (Digital Foundry) and Best Graphics/Technology of 2020 (NX Gamer)

crispy4000

Honestly I have no idea what the argument is in this thread just that there is an argument.

Anyway, hot take:

Take our enhanced versions of older games (like NMS, MK11, Destiny 2, etc) so say Miles counts but the original remastered doesn’t, and the ps5 launch lineup is still the best since Dreamcast. 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Honestly I have no idea what the argument is in this thread just that there is an argument.

Anyway, hot take:

Take our enhanced versions of older games (like NMS, MK11, Destiny 2, etc) so say Miles counts but the original remastered doesn’t, and the ps5 launch lineup is still the best since Dreamcast. 

Still gotta finish Astro but if Sackboy is even half as good as Demon's or Miles, I may agree. Hell, I can't wait to get into Planet Coaster. :p 

Props to the first two XBox's; they had a pretty decent lineup far as I remember.

XBox highlights were Halo, Project Gotham, Oddworld, Cel Damage, Fusion Frenzy, and their attempts at a sports franchise at a time when each company had their own sports game

360, I remember Geometry Wars, Kameo, Amped, and Project Gotham 3. Probably the first one was best, but Geometry Wars was pretty damned cool.

Might be worth a thread down the line!

7 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

That's not what they promised - they are marketing "Next-gen performance in the smallest Xbox ever"

spacer.png

Ses is also not delivering 1440p -- not anywhere close.

Guess I'm naive?

I think not, I never once thought that the white one on the right was only missing a disc drive! Did you? Next gen performance was to mean 1440p. I always got that, but the fact that it's not achieving that is troubling to be sure! The Series X in my eyes was always marketed as a 4k / 60 box, the fact that I do not own one is another story for another day. I was never ever interested in the white for this reason alone. It's had not a single thing about a disk drive or not... 

Sorry to those people out there that bought a Series S and thought they saved 200 bucks on a disk drive....

I never misunderstood Microsofts standing with the Series S. I fell they were very upfront at the beginning. A 1440p target all digital machine with the Series x being the next gen console. I didn't like the idea of developers having to make games for such different graphical power, but there wasnt any misunderstanding, and dont see how there could've been. 

I never misunderstood Microsofts standing with the Series S. I fell they were very upfront at the beginning. A 1440p target all digital machine with the Series x being the next gen console. I didn't like the idea of developers having to make games for such different graphical power, but there wasnt any misunderstanding, and dont see how there could've been. 

36 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Microsoft is touting Series S as a 1440p next-gen console.  But a number of prior gen games are running at 1080p after being patched for it, including some of their own, like Sea of Thieves and Forza Horizon 4.

If it's struggling to meet its 1440p target with last gen games, is it proper to market it as a 1440p next-gen machine? 

If you'd answer that no, they weren't being upfront enough.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Microsoft is touting Series S as a 1440p next-gen console.  But a number of prior gen games are running at 1080p after being patched for it, including some of their own, like Sea of Thieves and Forza Horizon 4.

If it's struggling to meet its 1440p target with last gen games, is it proper to market it as a 1440p next-gen machine? 

If you'd answer that no, they weren't being upfront enough.

It's probably a reach to call it a 1440p console - but it can do it on some games.  This isn't really a pearl clutching lie.  The last gen was sold pretty often as 4k.

Honestly for people buying the S -  1080 is going to be good enough most of the time.  1440 is an odd resolution for TV's, and I'm guessing that someone who cares enough about graphics to hook up a fancy monitor to their console is going to either want a PC or a higher end console. 

The S has its place, and that place is as a secondary console or a console for a kids room/dorm room etc.  It absolutely is next gen.  Same internal design as the X and not hard to lower the resolution so it can handle all the same games.  It was designed to run the same software as the X at a lower resolution, until that is proven false or shown to hold games back I'll trust it can do that.

6 hours ago, number305 said:

It's probably a reach to call it a 1440p console - but it can do it on some games.  This isn't really a pearl clutching lie.  The last gen was sold pretty often as 4k.

It was.  You had Microsoft come reasonably close most often, in the 1700p and up range.  Sony meanwhile was very transparent that you'd see their games perform to 4k with checkerboarding.  So 1440p (the next standard resolution down) was understandable when upscaling wasn't used.

But those were with current gen games at the time.  Not prior gen games patched up.  That's the bigger problem with marketing Series S the way they have.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

So what game had the best visuals from last year? Cyberpunk on a high end machine?

It’s Cyberpunk with a big * of only on a high end pc with honorable mention to Miles Morales for actually running on all its targeted platforms and being the best looking console game imo on ps5. 

47 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Better looking than Souls?

Yeah, imo it’s overall more impressive, as nice as Souls does look and it does some good stuff too. 

With Miles we got a console open world game running at 60fps, with heavy use of ray traced reflections, still looking sharp with a mostly 1440p base before temporal upscaling, stand based hair system, and all the other ps5 improvements on top of the already very nice looking Spider-man.

I feel like some people knock Miles back more specifically because “it’s just cross gen” but so is everything you would compare it against.

Put it this way, everyone expected games to look as good as Demon Souls does on these consoles. Not everyone expected 1440p (underselling it), 60fps, and ray tracing in an open world AAA game on these base systems.

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

PC gamers buy a whole PC for $1000 but Console gamers buy a TV for $2000 and then they frown at PC gamers somehow.

TV has never been factored into console gaming for some reason, despite gaming being one of the primary reasons a gamer would want a really nice display, I think.

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

PC gamers buy a whole PC for $1000 but Console gamers buy a TV for $2000 and then they frown at PC gamers somehow.

What the?

That's literally the ad nauseam argument we've had on this board 1000 times to dispute the claim that you're "hunched over your keyboard.

"LOL you don't have to sit hunched over your monitor dude I have my shit hooked up to my TV! What kind of dumb argument is that, hunched over the keyboard lolol?" 

TVs aren't video game exclusive. They're great to have for movies, sports... 

7 hours ago, Ominous said:

I know it's pretty crazy how expensive that thing is.  I think the PS5 has a bigger monitor too!

It comes with its own monitor? Next you will tell me it has keyboard included! 

My comment was on performance price comparison of the 2 since that literally the only thing can do with them . It’s a shit tier click bait headline comparing 2 items that should never be compared. The amount of consumers that would be swayed to purchase one over the other by this article is somewhere south of the writers IQ.

3 hours ago, SimpleG said:

It comes with its own monitor? Next you will tell me it has keyboard included! 

My comment was on performance price comparison of the 2 since that literally the only thing can do with them . It’s a shit tier click bait headline comparing 2 items that should never be compared. The amount of consumers that would be swayed to purchase one over the other by this article is somewhere south of the writers IQ.

Comparison to the PS5 is an easy way to quickly convey the GPU performance level to the layperson.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Comparison to the PS5 is an easy way to quickly convey the GPU performance level to the layperson.

And it does so by having exactly one sentence in the article . Also what does an unreleased laptop have to do with last years best graphics ?