The Callisto Protocol - Information Thread, update: Glen Schofield (CEO), CFO, and COO all "voluntarily" depart from Striking Distance Studios

Commissar SFLUFAN

29 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That makes it a LITTLE better but it's STILL a stupid thing to lock behind a paywall.

The way they phrased it, the dev I mean, is more like "people liked it in Dead Space, asked for more but we were already done with the content so we're putting it into the DLC stuff". To summarize I mean not verbatim. There's a tweet about it.

I legit think this is a case of clickbait headlines framing it like this when in reality it seems more like them having DLC stuff already in the works, fans asked and they've added more animations to those packs. There was gonna be DLC either way is what I mean.

Not that I'm PRO DLC but I think this is essentially "more skins in skin pack".

I would be buying this on day one if you played as the cute Asian girl instead of the generic bald space marine dude. :] I was still thinking about buying it when it dropped to $40, but not after discovering that they’re going to charge for additional death animations. Now I won’t buy it until it’s $20.

I can't speak for anyone else but I actually worked at a couple of gaming companies (pretty big ones in fact) and while crunch was definitely a thing, when I worked at one company several years ago it was the closest I've ever come to being broken professionally and mentally because the hours were insane, it was my choice to work there. I haven't worked for that company since despite being asked to come back on a couple of projects and I refuse to do so. So personally I have taken a stand in other areas besides complaining about predatory business practices on a message board. The video game industry needs to unionize yesterday and I'm all for it. Until they do, the workers AND consumers will continue to be at the mercy priviledged sociopathic tech bros.

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I can't speak for anyone else but I actually worked at a couple of gaming companies (pretty big ones in fact) and while crunch was definitely a thing, when I worked at one company several years ago it was the closest I've ever come to being broken professionally and mentally because the hours were insane, it was my choice to work there. I haven't worked for that company since despite being asked to come back on a couple of projects and I refuse to do so. So personally I have taken a stand in other areas besides complaining about predatory business practices on a message board. The video game industry needs to unionize yesterday and I'm all for it. Until they do, the workers AND consumers will continue to be at the mercy priviledged sociopathic tech bros.

I mean, specifying tech bros makes it sound like abusing workers hasn't been a proud capitalist tradition since the dawn of time. Tech bros are just the newest version of a cigar chomping cocaine addict in a business suit. The way our economy and society is built rewards, to an absolutely insane and completely unwarranted degree, these degenerate psychopaths.

Also;

I swear to god people will turn the most minor bullshit into drama.

How many fuckin' times were you guys planning to die where this is even something worth commenting on, let alone making big drama over?

Jesus, we've got a company that made one of the best horror series of all times that got buttfucked by EA finally, almost a decade later, clawing back for a return to form, and the only thing people can talk about is that the season pass has some silly bullshit in it? Oh no! Not the death animations!

It's like I'm surrounded by cartoon characters.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Callisto Protocol (02 December 2022, PlayStation/Xbox/PC) - Information Thread, update: Live-Action TV Spot (Red Band)
17 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I mean, specifying tech bros makes it sound like abusing workers hasn't been a proud capitalist tradition since the dawn of time. Tech bros are just the newest version of a cigar chomping cocaine addict in a business suit. The way our economy and society is built rewards, to an absolutely insane and completely unwarranted degree, these degenerate psychopaths

I was specfically talking about the videogame industry. 

On 11/26/2022 at 9:27 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Some PS5 retail release gameplay videos were posted on YouTube earlier today before being taken down and let's just say that the DayOnePatch will be sorely needed because the framerate looked to hit low double-digits (if not actually high single-digits!) in some parts.

Eek. I want thus Day 1 but definitely checking if the d1p fixes things.

On 11/26/2022 at 6:27 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Some PS5 retail release gameplay videos were posted on YouTube earlier today before being taken down and let's just say that the DayOnePatch will be sorely needed because the framerate looked to hit low double-digits (if not actually high single-digits!) in some parts.

PS5's very own Pokemon Violet!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Callisto Protocol (02 December 2022, PlayStation/Xbox/PC) - Information Thread, update: PS5 gameplay videos posted
c3d6eba08f202aad973216f1df4c4b91d9461816
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

The studio also shares a behind the scenes look at its character creation process ahead of launch on December 2.

Welcome to Black Iron Prison, a maximum-security penitentiary located on the desolate surface of Jupiter’s moon, Callisto. Let’s dive into how The Callisto Protocol’s atmospheric environments, compelling characters and monstrous creatures make the fight to survive the horrors of Jupiter’s dead moon a terrifyingly immersive experience.

One of the most important aspects of any survival horror game is the setting – the place or places players either survive or die. The Callisto Protocol is full of fear-inducing locales, like Below, a series of long abandoned tunnels ‘below’ the prison that once serviced Arcas, the Callisto’s first human colony. For Aasim Zubair, director of environment art, the core concept started with a straightforward design philosophy: “make it dark, wet, and creepy.”

And it certainly is. However, Below’s environment stands out in the sci-fi survival horror game thanks to its grounded inspiration.

“[Below is unique] because the majority of it is based off real-world materials and shapes,” says Zubair. “Instead of the rugged sci-fi design cues that dominate many of the game’s other environments, Below allows the player to feel grounded in something familiar and relatable while also letting them look into the past of humanity’s first attempt to colonize the dead moon.”

In addition to grounding players in a recognizable environment, Zubair’s favorite part of the environment is the mood and storytelling. “Below provides a great opportunity for exploration, hidden areas, creepiness and a chance to use the space for compelling environmental storytelling,” he says. 

If you dare to explore the dark recesses of Below there’s plenty of secrets to discover and maybe even a glimpse of the original colony’s dark past.

19 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

That's actually a bad sign, but I guess we'll see.

I'm not sure if it is a bad sign, for Dead Space 1 I can find no review before it's October 13, 2008 release. In fact, the vast majority are from almost a full week later.

Official Xbox Magazine gave Dead Space 1 a 65, so you know that's a quality rag.

Also it's SUPER hard to find reviews this old because like 85% of the review sites have closed shop so it's a bunch of dead links. Now THAT'S some dead space!

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I dunno  you don't see a lot of day and date embargos any more. It was a lot more common and accepted pre'CP77

I mean we just saw one for Sonic Frontiers, and that game was way better than anyone expected. RE8's was just 2 days prior to launch. It's a bit odd but definitely not unheard of and rarely indicative of anything really.

4 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I dunno  you don't see a lot of day and date embargos any more. It was a lot more common and accepted pre'CP77

Depends on the developer. This team is under 200 people and they seem to be spending a shit load on marketing. I don’t follow the timing of reviews super closely but it felt like DOOM 2016 was perhaps a turning point in that suspicion. I remember the vibe was very much “uh oh they didn’t send out any early review code.” They had to know the game was great, right? Who knows, maybe they didn’t or the people who knew didn’t make the call. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They shared a picture on [redacted] that showed a side by side comparison of Josh Duhamel in Unreal and real life and it's very difficult to tell the difference.

spacer.png

I wouldn't be able to pick it out.

His eyes maybe look slightly off, but that is a biased opinion because I know which is which.

I have a very good feeling about this one.  Something tells me they're gonna deliver something pretty fantastic here.  The unfortunate crunch does indicate that it might be a little rough around the edges at launch, but this is day one for me thanks to our generous Commissar.  I feel the need to support a brand new, non-open-world, single player action horror game as a matter of principle.