What Are You Reading or Listening To?

I read The Cold Millions, by Jess Walter. It centers on the IWW and free speech fights in Spokane, Washington in 1909. It's a topic that's pretty near and dear to me; Spokane is my dad's hometown and so we would always visit my grandparents there, and I actually wrote my senior thesis on the IWW and a free speech fight (not this one, one in 1917). Anyways, it's a pretty good historical fiction novel. I think it might be right up @Commissar SFLUFAN's alley.

Just finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.

Then a friend of mine told me I should check out the Dresden Files books, and a week later I've knocked out the first 3 of them.  They are fun, quick reads.  Hardboiled private detective meets D&D. Even though the author kind of gives off an, "I am very badass *tips fedora* m'lady" kind of vibe that gives me douchechills at times, it's a good light, action-heavy series.  Good when you need something to burn a few hours.

37 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Thinking I'm gonna start Thinner by Stephen King(as Richard Bachman) tonight.

Great book. I read it back when it was just a Richard Bachman book, and I suspected there was something weird about it while reading it (there were a lot of clues that I kept catching that just seemed too obvious). Right after I read it, it was revealed that it was Stephen King who wrote it. It was still a great book.

1 hour ago, brucoe said:

Great book. I read it back when it was just a Richard Bachman book, and I suspected there was something weird about it while reading it (there were a lot of clues that I kept catching that just seemed too obvious). Right after I read it, it was revealed that it was Stephen King who wrote it. It was still a great book.

It’s only me second Bachman book. First was The Long Walk and I loved it. Looking forward to this one. 

Finished All the Light We Cannot See. Fantastic book that could have carried on for another thousand pages and I’d have been happy. I then read The Cursed Child and it was good, now onto Fevre Dream (a G.R.R Martin novel pre-thrones) which has started really well. I want to read a teaching book I’ve had for a while as well this week.

@thewhyteboar

Just a reminder that Don Winslow's "City on Fire" releases today!

However, it is accompanied by some sad news :(

Ciy-On-Fire.jpg?w=1000
DEADLINE.COM

Bestselling author Don Winslow has announced that the two already-written sequels to his current novel City On Fire will be his last books. Winslow says he will devote his time to launching digital…

7 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@thewhyteboar

Just a reminder that Don Winslow's "City on Fire" releases today!

However, it is accompanied by some sad news :(

Ciy-On-Fire.jpg?w=1000
DEADLINE.COM

Bestselling author Don Winslow has announced that the two already-written sequels to his current novel City On Fire will be his last books. Winslow says he will devote his time to launching digital…

My copy is on the way. I'm kinda liking The Force, so I decided to continue reading him.

I’m trying to decide if I like Fevre Dream or not. The story premise is neat, but the choice of racial language permeates the whole of the story, not just during character interactions, plus as a parent with a 19 month old, there was a part that was a bit much to stomach. 

So, I finished Fevre Dream. It was good, not great. Though it does make me want to read some more George RR Martin works.

Started to read Homer’s Odyssey for the first time. Now this may be the first ever work of literature, but so far it holds up. 

7 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

So, I finished Fevre Dream. It was good, not great. Though it does make me want to read some more George RR Martin works.

Started to read Homer’s Odyssey for the first time. Now this may be the first ever work of literature, but so far it holds up. 

What translation?

Still reading my Washington bio, but that's going to be a slow burn.

Started Beautiful Country by Qian Julie Wang last night. It's a memoir from a Chinese immigrant.

Also gonna start reading 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill. I'm interested in seeing this Black Phone movie next month, so I'll read the story first.

Do Audiobooks count in this thread? So I've been "reading" Rogue Angel 4

ra004.jpg
WWW.GRAPHICAUDIO.NET

Rogue Angel 4: The Chosen

They gave these away on fanatical some time ago and I decided to give it a listen, well I thought it would be short (and I guess it is in the long run) but it's like six hours long.

A couple of things I found strange:

The tagline is, "A movie in your mind" which I think is silly. But maybe this goes beyond regular audio books because it's got like music and sound effects.

The author's name is a shared house name under the publisher. The actual name of the author is Victor Milán who actually passed away in 2018 from cancer :rose:

As for the story it's alright I suppose. Since the author is from New Mexico he certainly puts a lot of detail into describing the goings on in New Mexico. :p

And maybe it's just me but I kind of feel like some of the descriptions to be a bit long-winded. Like, "here's a guy who looks like this and he sounds like this and this is how it felt when he did this," It's like okay yeah, but then there is so much other story stuff with Jesuits and this and that, maybe he could have toned it down a bit.

Also, hate to say it but the narrator kind of has a bitch voice. (Sorry ladies :( ) Nanette Savard, is she well known?

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Do Audiobooks count in this thread? So I've been "reading" Rogue Angel 4

ra004.jpg
WWW.GRAPHICAUDIO.NET

Rogue Angel 4: The Chosen

They gave these away on fanatical some time ago and I decided to give it a listen, well I thought it would be short (and I guess it is in the long run) but it's like six hours long.

A couple of things I found strange:

The tagline is, "A movie in your mind" which I think is silly. But maybe this goes beyond regular audio books because it's got like music and sound effects.

The author's name is a shared house name under the publisher. The actual name of the author is Victor Milán who actually passed away in 2018 from cancer :rose:

As for the story it's alright I suppose. Since the author is from New Mexico he certainly puts a lot of detail into describing the goings on in New Mexico. :p

And maybe it's just me but I kind of feel like some of the descriptions to be a bit long-winded. Like, "here's a guy who looks like this and he sounds like this and this is how it felt when he did this," It's like okay yeah, but then there is so much other story stuff with Jesuits and this and that, maybe he could have toned it down a bit.

Also, hate to say it but the narrator kind of has a bitch voice. (Sorry ladies :( ) Nanette Savard, is she well known?

Yes, audiobooks definitely count. I made the mistake of introducing my sister to audiobooks about a year ago. She loves to read but never seemed to have the time anymore. She now blows through 3 -4 a week. 

5 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Yes, audiobooks definitely count. I made the mistake of introducing my sister to audiobooks about a year ago. She loves to read but never seemed to have the time anymore. She now blows through 3 -4 a week. 

Ah well they gave away two other books too, Deathlands 4 & 5, so perhaps I'll get into those after this one. :p