What Are You Reading or Listening To?

11 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Halfway through Caste and starting Razorblade Tears by SA Cosby for my fiction.

When you finish, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Caste, if you don't mind sharing. It's been on my to-read list for a while. :D 

3 hours ago, Nokra said:

When you finish, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Caste, if you don't mind sharing. It's been on my to-read list for a while. :D 

Yeah, I’ve had it for a year and just now got to it. At this point, definitely read it. A lot I knew, but it buts it together in a way I hadn’t thought about before. 

• Thanks 1

Finally started on The Wise Man's Fear, the second book (following The Name of the Wind) by Patrick Rothfuss. I hesitated in starting it since the third book is nowhere on the horizon...but I am glad I did start. About 90% of the way through and it's been fantastic. It's basically a high fantasty book...that is the day-to-day life of the greatest hero to ever live (according to the tales told about him). In reality he does live a fantastical life, but told through his own eyes it's less than the histories about him. It's really, really strong writing, and I am very sad that the third book may never be published. Crazy that the guy has only ever written two novels, and that they are possibly some of the best genre fiction of all time. It's not that he deconstructs or subverts fantasy tropes (like The First Law trilogy, etc), it's that so much of the hero's life story is just him worrying about having enough money, losing the items he cares about the most, holding grudges, etc.

I really hope Rothfuss completes The Doors of Stone (the planned final book), but it's been 10 years since TWMF. However, he's only 48 so there is still time!

57 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Finally started on The Wise Man's Fear, the second book (following The Name of the Wind) by Patrick Rothfuss. I hesitated in starting it since the third book is nowhere on the horizon...but I am glad I did start. About 90% of the way through and it's been fantastic. It's basically a high fantasty book...that is the day-to-day life of the greatest hero to ever live (according to the tales told about him). In reality he does live a fantastical life, but told through his own eyes it's less than the histories about him. It's really, really strong writing, and I am very sad that the third book may never be published. Crazy that the guy has only ever written two novels, and that they are possibly some of the best genre fiction of all time. It's not that he deconstructs or subverts fantasy tropes (like The First Law trilogy, etc), it's that so much of the hero's life story is just him worrying about having enough money, losing the items he cares about the most, holding grudges, etc.

I really hope Rothfuss completes The Doors of Stone (the planned final book), but it's been 10 years since TWMF. However, he's only 48 so there is still time!

I've been waiting forever for book 3 ...and that's just the opening trilogy. Dude make George Martin look like Speedy Gonzales!

21 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

while a section or two tended to feel a little too long, I loved King's take on time travel and have actually read through this one a number of times

Great book. The TV adaptation wasn't bad either and was pretty spot on with following the book.

16 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

I'd watch it but I don't have Hulu 

I'd like to be there are just too many damn streaming services. I have prime/d+, apple (free with my new phone last year) Netflix. I can't keep up with all that gets released as is, though there are definitely times I wish I had some of the others 

• 2 weeks later...

At the 1200 page mark in War and Peace. I haven’t consistently read it, but it’s still ticking along nicely. Aiming to finish it before Christmas so I can read one of the other 5 books I have lined up. 

Work related, my school purchased a book called I Don’t Give a Sh*t, Miss - so far it’s great. It’s focused on how to work with children with significant social and emotional issues - which is both interesting and hopefully really beneficial.