What Are You Reading or Listening To?

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Breathless by Amy McCulloch. It's a thriller, but it's in the setting of high altitude mountain climbing, so that was the draw for me. I love books about mountaineering and survival type stories.

Pretty sure I read that last year. Journalist that is somewhat inexperienced that is covering a guy trying to break the summiting record? 

I finished The Odyssey. It was enjoyable for what it was, though I can see about the debate of the ending. The final 6 pages were pretty awful and if a child in my class wrote a similar conclusion, I’d ask them to redraft it.

Now, onto Blood Meridian. Well, I say onto, I’ve read the first 21 pages and I think two people have already been murdered, so that’s nice. 

Just now, EternallDarkness said:

nope. great book though. he wrote it so his kids could actually read one of his stories

Thanks, I was just wondering, since it started out with characters named Roland and Flagg, lol. 

Yeah, I remember reading that he wrote it for his daughter who didn’t like horror. He dedicates it to her. 

Speaking of TDT, I was in a used bookshop yesterday and picked up a first edition of Song of Susannah. Guess I’m gonna have to buy the others and finally start the series sometime. :p 

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Thanks, I was just wondering, since it started out with characters named Roland and Flagg, lol. 

Yeah, I remember reading that he wrote it for his daughter who didn’t like horror. He dedicates it to her. 

Speaking of TDT, I was in a used bookshop yesterday and picked up a first edition of Song of Susannah. Guess I’m gonna have to buy the others and finally start the series sometime. :p 

Flagg is in a number of Kings books. Also I should clarify that while Eyes isn't technically part of TDT...the Kingdom it takes place in is a part of the worlds of TDT, but you don't need to have any knowledge of TDT series to read and enjoy it.

4 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Flagg is in a number of Kings books. Also I should clarify that while Eyes isn't technically part of TDT...the Kingdom it takes place in is a part of the worlds of TDT, but you don't need to have any knowledge of TDT series to read and enjoy it.

Yeah, I read and loved The Stand. 

I know he reuses some characters. It definitely threw me off when I encountered Patrick Hocksetter in Firestarter last month. 

I changed the thread title to reflect that many of us also listen to audiobooks :p

Reading:

9781541600355-1.jpg?fit=1677%2C2600&w=64
WWW.BASICBOOKS.COM

A stunning portrait of the magnificent splendor and enduring legacy of ancient Persia  The Achaemenid Persian kings ruled over the l...

Listening To:

WWW.HARPERCOLLINS.COM

A deeply textured dual biography and fascinating intellectual history that examines two of the greatest minds of European history—Desiderius Erasmus and Martin Luther—whose heated rivalry gave rise to two enduring, fundamental, and often colliding traditions of philosophical and religiou

Looking Forward To:

WWW.PENGUINRANDOMHOUSE.COM

An epic new account of the conflict that reshaped Eastern Europe and set the stage for the rest of the twentieth century. Between 1917 and 1921 a devastating struggle took place in Russia following...
  • Like 1
  • Sicko 1

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Oooh, I like Beevor. Definitely getting that one. 

Some reviews from the UK edition which was just published:

4488.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Personal testimonies humanise the Stalingrad author’s mesmerising study of the bloody battle for power after the collapse of the tsarist regime

2HK7735-lenin.jpg
WWW.THEWEEK.CO.UK

This is an ‘unceasingly agonising, yet always irresistible’ work

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F
WWW.THETIMES.CO.UK

This account of Russia’s civil war is easily the most horrifying tale of conflict I’ve read, says Gerard DeGroot

TELEMMGLPICT000295409181_trans_NvBQzQNjv
WWW.TELEGRAPH.CO.UK

The Russian Civil War killed 12 million people – but is often overlooked. This grimly magnificent study will leave you shocked

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-unbearable-brutality-of-the-bolsheviks

• Thanks 1