What Are You Reading or Listening To?

Just finished Blindsight by Peter Watts. Wow.

It's a story about first contact, and human consciousness. It specifically deals with the issue that in most pieces of fiction, aliens are at worst just humans with weird bumps or colours...or at best, analogues of other Earth animals (insect-like, etc). But what if they are so different from us that we have no basis for communication and comprehension? No common ground for any shared experience, except that we both exist?

It heavily deals with themes of self-awareness (consciousness), psychopathy, and survival in a cruel universe. It is the best first contact story I have ever read.

Still reading War and Peace. 200 pages or so in (but with the thin paper, tiny writing and minuscule margins makes it feel like I’ve read 400 pages). So far, it’s really good and a fantastic historical fiction, though unlike all other ‘similar’ books - avoids any grim description of the nastiness of war - at least so far.

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

After this, I've got the King Arthur series to read. What else would you recommend from him?

The Arthur series is amazing and I hope it gets adapted as a tv show someday. I loved the Sharpe series when I was a kid, but there got to be so many that I think the quality dipped. I'd read the earlier ones (going by date of publication, not chronological).

• Thanks 1

finished the Shadow and Bone series and the first book in the second series Six of Crows, so I feel safe finally going back and watching the Netflix show, though I don't think the heist part of the show is actually based around the Six of Crows book but rather a prequel of sorts, since the Six of Crows storyline takers place after the Shadow and Bone series and revolves around a different heist I believe

Green Mile was fantastic. I'm glad I somehow remained largely unspoiled for that one.

Next up, I'm reading One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston. It's a new release and why not read a queer romance for Pride Month? I loved her prior book.

Getting back around to nonfiction, I'm also starting All the Shah's Men by Stephen Kinzer.

On 5/19/2021 at 8:34 PM, gamer.tv said:

Still reading War and Peace. 200 pages or so in (but with the thin paper, tiny writing and minuscule margins makes it feel like I’ve read 400 pages). So far, it’s really good and a fantastic historical fiction, though unlike all other ‘similar’ books - avoids any grim description of the nastiness of war - at least so far.

Change this to 400 pages but it feels like 800 pages. With working and life, this is going to be my book until July.

The Hail Mary Projector - Andy Weir

More scifi than his other works but he still has the "show your math" writing style that people either appreciate or loathe depending on how much explanation you want. There are few more "that sure is convenient" plot elements than I would prefer but it is still a very fun read. This one will be a lot harder to make into a movie without a serious rewrite than The Martian because of how the narrative is structured. 

@thewhyteboar - new Don Winslow novel this autumn:

Drawing structural and thematic inspiration from The Iliad, the new trilogy is set on Rhode Island, where two criminal empires, one Irish and one Italian have maintained a peaceful, lucrative co-existence until a modern-day Helen of Troy tears them apart and starts a brutal war. The main character here is Danny Ryan, is forced to grow from a street soldier into a ruthlessly efficient leader to protect his friends, his family and the home he loves. Fighting the Mafia, the local cops, the feds, Danny will build a dynasty or die trying.

46 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

What’s your favorite collection? 

I've got Different Seasons, Skeleton Crew, Everything’s Eventual, Full Dark No Stars, and If It Bleeds on my shelf. 

I can't honestly say, mostly because they're all muddled in my head. I read some of them so long ago that I can't remember what stories are in which book. I know he has another short story collection in Nightmares and Dreamscapes which is HUGE. I kind of figured you'd have jumped into If It Bleeds since you enjoyed The Outsider and the Bill Hodges trilogy so much. 

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

I can't honestly say, mostly because they're all muddled in my head. I read some of them so long ago that I can't remember what stories are in which book. I know he has another short story collection in Nightmares and Dreamscapes which is HUGE. I kind of figured you'd have jumped into If It Bleeds since you enjoyed The Outsider and the Bill Hodges trilogy so much. 

I like to bounce around, actually. But I’ll be getting to If It Bleeds before too long.