Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

18 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Other than her race and gender, what does she bring to the table?

I genuinely don't know her accomplishments

Her only elected office is the Georgia House of Representatives. It seems like kind of a jump to go straight from that to the VP.

Also, is it unusual for potential VP picks to do this kind of aggressive behind the scenes campaigning to get picked, or do we just usually not hear about it?

29 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Other than her race and gender, what does she bring to the table?

I genuinely don't know her accomplishments

Yale Law grad, former minority leader of the House of Representatives in Georgia, created Fair Fight after losing her election in Georgia to fight for voting rights.

16 minutes ago, Jose said:

Yale Law grad, former minority leader of the House of Representatives in Georgia, created Fair Fight after losing her election in Georgia to fight for voting rights.

That's not too bad, very light for a VP pick though

On an unrealistic level, anyone from an ivy should be barred from holding public office but that's a point for another day

Any choice of VP should be open about the fact that....

1. There is a much higher liklihood than normal whoever he picks will be finishing out his first term.

2. The moment Biden names his VP pick that makes them the presumptive nominee in 2024 if Biden wins almost certainly.

I would prefer someone more experienced than Abrams, but that argument has lost most of it's teeth nowadays anyway. While the rightwing are disingenous with their attacks on him and using it to justify electing a gameshow host, it's not like Obama was that much more experienced than Abrams. The important thing was that Obama was intelligent, inquisitive, and humble enough to accept when he didn't know something and defer to experts. 

I was a big supporter of Warren and wish we had picked the right candidate, but she is also north of 70 now. She was a relatively sober pick in a primary led by two sundowning octogenarians, but picking her as VP with the hopes of her future runs seems like putting a down payment on the same oldie problem Dems can't seem to claw their way out of. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

:raisedbrow:

I find the recriminations on both sides of Biden and Bernie debate and their health to be tiresome.

Bernie fans who post mashed up videos of Biden "um'ing" a lot, and then see nothing the least bit problamatic with electing a guy who would be fucking 87 in the last year of his second term are not being intellectually honest.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That's not too bad, very light for a VP pick though

On an unrealistic level, anyone from an ivy should be barred from holding public office but that's a point for another day

You're right, she doesn't have the illustrious career of John Edwards or Tim Kaine. Let's stick with the status quo guys.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jose said:

You're right, she doesn't have the illustrious career of John Edwards or Tim Kaine. Let's stick with the status quo guys.

No they're dogshit too

Also you can be an "outsider" and still support the status quo. Changing the window dressing doesn't do anything to even mildly perturb the apple cart, let alone upset it.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

No they're dogshit too

The left: "Beto O'Rourke's an asshole! He lost his election for the Senate and now he's trying to run for POTUS instead of turning out the Texan vote!"

Also the left: " Wow Stacey Abrams is a community activist right now? Fighting voter suppression after losing her election for governor? Wow, I dunno. Light credentials, dude."

What a fucking joke.

7 minutes ago, Jose said:

The left: "Beto O'Rourke's an asshole! He lost his election for the Senate and now he's trying to run for POTUS instead of turning out the Texan vote!"

Also the left: " Wow Stacey Abrams is a community activist right now? Fighting voter suppression after losing her election for governor? Wow, I dunno. Light credentials, dude."

What a fucking joke.

Yes, your absurdly dishonest representation of the objection here is definitely a joke. 

6 minutes ago, Jose said:

What a fucking joke.

I also win all the arguments with myself that I make up

4 minutes ago, Jose said:

So Beto was not widely criticized here for running for POTUS after losing his Senate election?

He was, but I don't see what's so inconsistent with that and not wanting Stacey Abrams, who also lost her election for statewide office, to be a VP candidate. Unless people actually said "The only thing Beto should do is spend the next few years organizing the vote, and he'd be a terrific candidate for president in the future." As I recall, the suggestion was he should have tried running for senate again. 

21 minutes ago, Jose said:

So Beto was not widely criticized here for running for POTUS after losing his Senate election?

Who gives a shit about Beto? His resume is light, far lighter than Abrams and for a higher position in government. He clearly lost his election to the single worst senator in office, and should have retired from politics after that, and she had her election stolen from her by her opponent in his official capacity. In 2019, while he was standing on tables shouting obscenities, she was standing up for disenfranchised voters. 

The case for her as VP is stronger than his was for POTUS. Doesn't mean there aren't better candidates for VP (like Kamala before she spelled out her insane student debt forgiveness plan and backing off M4A)

11 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

He was, but I don't see what's so inconsistent with that and not wanting Stacey Abrams, who also lost her election for statewide office, to be a VP candidate. Unless people actually said "The only thing Beto should do is spend the next few years organizing the vote, and he'd be a terrific candidate for president in the future." As I recall, the suggestion was he should have tried running for senate again. 

She barely lost an election rife with suppression and fraud for governor as a black woman in the Deep South. 

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Who gives a shit about Beto? His resume is light, far lighter than Abrams and for a higher position in government. He clearly lost his election to the single worst senator in office, and should have retired from politics after that, and she had her election stolen from her by her opponent in his official capacity. In 2019, while he was standing on tables shouting obscenities, she was standing up for disenfranchised voters. 

The case for her as VP is stronger than his was for POTUS. Doesn't mean there aren't better candidates for VP (like Kamala before she spelled out her insane student debt forgiveness plan and backing off M4A)

So who do you suggest then that both somehow passes your purity test and has an acceptable level of experience? That candidate does not even exist. 

Whoever Biden picks will almost certainly have more experience and be less left-leaning than Abrams. You guys will complain about it. Self-defeatism ftw.