Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

The media's amplification of Buttigieg is really journalism malpractice. Unless he massively turns his numbers around with minorities, which is very unlikely, he's not a viable candidate. Every time the media fails to mention that, they are encouraging voters to unknowingly throw their vote away. This isn't ideology or opinion even, it's just a reality the media all know. 

Just now, osxmatt said:

Anyone have thoughts on why the steep drop off for Biden?

My best guess is people showed up ready to support the “likely nominee” and then when they realized the enthusiasm was everywhere else, were ready to split.

Probably the same reason overall turnout was down; lack of excitement for a specific candidate .. Both because there's a lack of excitement from our candidates (unless you're already on board with Bernie) and because so many of them have the numbers to beat trump. It's the downside of voluntary democracy, complacency. The people who support Biden are just most likely to say "fuck it" and stay home.

30 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Did any polls have Pete Buttigieg doing this well? I really hope the nominee isn't so centrist, but I'd be happy about the fact that he's somewhat young blood.

This performance is more than likely due to Biden and Klobuchar supporters who went over to him in the second round after those candidates were declared non-viable after the first round.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jwheel86 said:

The media's amplification of Buttigieg is really journalism malpractice. Unless he massively turns his numbers around with minorities, which is very unlikely, he's not a viable candidate. Every time the media fails to mention that, they are encouraging voters to unknowingly throw their vote away. This isn't ideology or opinion even, it's just a reality the media all know. 

What are you even talking about? Bernie is splashed all over the place. 

If Bernie doesn’t get more older people on board, he isn’t viable either. 

1 minute ago, Massdriver said:

What are you even talking about? Bernie is splashed all over the place. 

If Bernie doesn’t get more older people on board, he isn’t viable either. 

I've got CNN on, it's all about Buttigieg. Bernie has a viable path to the nomination, especially if Biden implodes and he gets a healthy share of the minority vote them. 

3 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

I've got CNN on, it's all about Buttigieg. Bernie has a viable path to the nomination, especially if Biden implodes and he gets a healthy share of the minority vote them. 

Fair enough. I don't have any live TV, but just looking around google news, Bernie is getting plenty of attention from mainstream outlets.

Edit: As an example Politico's headline is Bernie & Butti are locked in a close race and Fox News has a pic of both of them with the title of "Front Runners". 

34 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

He could, but the internal data the Buttigieg campaign collected (which covers more than the 62% officially released) goes right in line with what’s been released so far and that’s why they felt good about declaring victory. Will certainly be interesting to see how it shakes out though!

4 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Where will Biden and Klobuchar supporters go if their candidacies fizzle out? Will they go to Bloomberg or Buttigieg?

Edit:  I think Warren has a good chance of picking some of them up too. I'm really skeptical that they will jump to Sanders.

The biggest #2 for Biden voters is bernie per the polls

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

Booty is a more viable candidate than Bloomberg and the media won't stfu about him.

They're looking out for their future careers

25 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I'm having a hard time believing Iowa is going to matter much. I bet Biden does really well Super Tuesday.

It's not just Iowa. His performance in these next 3 states is key. If he does poorly in SC, he's basically done.

21 minutes ago, Jose said:

It's not just Iowa. His performance in these next 3 states is key. If he does poorly in SC, he's basically done.

I can agree with that. 

46 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The biggest #2 for Biden voters is bernie per the polls

I recall seeing some polls showing that. I don’t believe that will be what people end up doing, but that’s just baseless speculation on my part. 

56 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I can agree with that. 

I recall seeing some polls showing that. I don’t believe that will be what people end up doing, but that’s just baseless speculation on my part. 

I mean, we tend to think that people have specific ideologies, but by and large... They don't.

25 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I mean, we tend to think that people have specific ideologies, but by and large... They don't.

Yeah, I think I can agree with that. Most voters are pretty inconsistent and personality and popularity seem to matter more to a lot of people than ideology. I personally believe Biden is going to end up being the nominee, so I don't think we'll find out what people actually end up doing if Biden falls off early.

3 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Butti's positions are clearly to the left of Biden or Klobuchar on several issues. You often complain about Biden's marijuana position. Butti supports national descheduling. He also supports decriminalizing the possession of all drugs. I know people hate him here, but he is much better on criminal justice than the other centrist candidates.

Yup, true true. That's part of what I mean by decades of questionable votes, and why his current position hasn't evolved at all.

3 hours ago, osxmatt said:

Anyone have thoughts on why the steep drop off for Biden?

My best guess is people showed up ready to support the “likely nominee” and then when they realized the enthusiasm was everywhere else, were ready to split.

It's because he didn't crack 15% of the vote in many precincts, so the people who supported him in the first round of voting had to choose another candidate in the second round.

25 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

It's because he didn't crack 15% of the vote in many precincts, so the people who supported him in the first round of voting had to choose another candidate in the second round.

Well la de da I guess your name is Mr. Caucus, understanding shit like that. 

• Haha 3