Sign in to follow this  
BlackPrince

A Serious Question Lies Within...

What if there was a Bad Cartridge website and the author (whom you know personally from the boards) reviewed a game you were super excited about but gave it a low score for stupid reasons. Would you be pissed and flame the author(s) even though you probably know them? What would you do if BC gave Uncharted 3 a 7/10 or Gears 3 a 5/10 but the reasons were highly subjective and pretty pointless? Would you ever come to hate one of your own as much as Hilary?

This is serious guys.

There would be very bad blood if a user became a writer for the site. It's just an inevitable part of being someone who reviews things.

In my day we exiled such scoundrels.

And then we complained loudly, when they returned, some years later, at the head of a conquering army, and burned the village commons, and our crops, and made off with the riddle of steel during the confusion.

Yes we complained loudly, but we still pushed the wheel of pain round and round, because it needed to be done, and we took our mutually negotiated, professional, post-conquest, obligations to our esteemed Vanir masters VERY seriously.

That's how things were done in my day.

In my day we exiled such scoundrels.

And then we complained loudly, when they returned, some years later, at the head of a conquering army, and burned the village commons, and our crops, and made off with the riddle of steel during the confusion.

Yes we complained loudly, but we still pushed the wheel of pain round and round, because it needed to be done, and we took our mutually negotiated, professional, post-conquest, obligations to our esteemed Vanir masters VERY seriously.

That's how things were done in my day.

in the 1600's?

Know, O prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west.

In other words, yeah. It was the 1600's.

I wouldn't really care since I don't pay much attention to reviews as it is these days. As for the site as a whole I could see something like that having an overall negative effect, which is partly why I don't want to see BC turn into another news/reviews site.

I could care less what someone posts in a review. I have always understood them as being subjective and the opinion of the critic. I actually like hearing what people have to say about certain games, so I can get an idea of what is out there. Ultimately, my own opinion is not swayed by someone else.

Ex.

Review excerpt #1:

SOCOM 4 blows, there are no killstreaks and I can't quickscope. Screw this game it was made for 40 year olds with no lives.

I see something like that. I laugh. Maybe post a response, and move on with my life. If the game looks like something I want, I get it and try it out for myself. If the game truly does blow, I post on here my own experience with the game.

Review excerpt #2:

SOCOM 4 has some of the best tactical gameplay I have ever seen. The pace can be slow at times but once you learn your way around the controller, the game really picks up.

I look at that and go hmm... interesting.

People who take reviews super cereal or get offended by them need to just relax and realize there are more pressing issues. If one feels that an unfair or bias review has been posted, they should post their own review or an honest and mature rebuttal.

Wasn't this place created because a bunch of people got pissed off and didn't agree with the reviews at IGN?

I believe the shitty boards system and Insider was the main catalyst. People haven't been reading IGN's awful reviews for years. Although some schlubs who post here still like to bring them up when they come out.

I've always been partial to the idea that you could create a great community reviewing system by having several esteemed members of the community, who represent different views in gaming, and have them each do a review of each game that releases.

Then you could publish a review with each individual score, the average score, and about a paragraph or so form each contributor. I believe that may help people decide on games while not drawing hatred for a single review source being biased as some are.

I believe the shitty boards system and Insider was the main catalyst. People haven't been reading IGN's awful reviews for years. Although some schlubs who post here still like to bring them up when they come out.

Thank you for reinforcing my point.

I've always been partial to the idea that you could create a great community reviewing system by having several esteemed members of the community, who represent different views in gaming, and have them each do a review of each game that releases.

Then you could publish a review with each individual score, the average score, and about a paragraph or so form each contributor. I believe that may help people decide on games while not drawing hatred for a single review source being biased as some are.

That's actually not a bad idea.

Wasn't this place created because a bunch of people got pissed off and didn't agree with the reviews at IGN?

I never went to IGN for gaming news or reviews.

This is a seriously GREAT idea.

What if there was a Bad Cartridge website and the author (whom you know personally from the boards) reviewed a game you were super excited about but gave it a low score for stupid reasons. Would you be pissed and flame the author(s) even though you probably know them? What would you do if BC gave Uncharted 3 a 7/10 or Gears 3 a 5/10 but the reasons were highly subjective and pretty pointless? Would you ever come to hate one of your own as much as Hilary?

This is serious guys.

Id probably love them, as I think Gears of War is one of the worst franchises to come out of this generation and shows us EVERYTHING that is wrong with modern game design. And Uncharted never deserved the praise it got, 2 was good but still not the holy grail people make it out to be. Too linear, too on rails, too "run and gun" with no sense of actuall exploration. Ancient puzzles lose there appeal quickly and destroy the sense of wonder and engagement (not to mention create massive plot holes). Just because both games are pretty and have high production values does not make them worthy of 9/10 or 10/10. On a fun scale they rank pretty damn low with me.

fourfour44, on 13 April 2011 - 10:44 PM, said: Wasn't this place created because a bunch of people got pissed off and didn't agree with the reviews at IGN?

No, its because they charged people for content that they NEVER provided. All people paid for from IGN were their boards, so Bad Cartridge was created so people could have a great gaming community and not be charged for it.

Agreed. In fact, make all content submittable by any member of the community and sort the cream of the crop up through user reviews. This has actually been an idea I've had for a while, I've just lacked the know how and time to get it functioning properly.

I have been playing around at doing my Indie Games thing again. I didn't review them, but I chose ones I thought were really good every now and again and wrote about them with pics and a video, this was on IGN's 360 board. I think if I had more time I would do this regularly again, was great to show people some fun things they wouldn't normally know of.

Personally, I pay 10x more attention to posts made by users then I do reviews. Select users most of the time of course :D

Personally, I pay 10x more attention to posts made by users then I do reviews. Select users most of the time of course :D

But what if the "reviews" section was made up of content by your favorite posters, and as a site user you were given the opportunity to "like" said content to increase it's popularity/publication?

For example, the review for a particular game with the most "like"s would be featured predominantly on the page (and I'd image each item would have a chat thread attached below), while the 3-5 other top reviews were linked on a side bar for the user to also click. Under that would be a link to expand the remaining content as well, with a search tool.

A completely community driven gaming site. [face_thinking]

Who takes review scores seriously?

Given the ruckus over the board descriptions, I think it's safe to say that there are at least a few people that take everything too seriously.