Invincible (Amazon Prime Video) - Season 2, Part 2 Official Trailer (14 March 2024)

Slug

On 7/25/2023 at 12:23 AM, ort said:

From the official twitter account of the show… they are splitting up the season…

What a week!!! To recap what we learned about the show…

- ATOM EVE special episode live NOW. Go watch it. Twice. Three times, maybe? 

- Atom Eve is the best. This is not new information, it just should be reiterated whenever possible. 

- First four episodes of Season 2 start Nov. 3, airing weekly through Nov. 24. 

- Then there will be a short break for you to take a breath, hug your family, and reflect on what you just experienced in Episode 204. 

- Next four episodes will arrive in early 2024. 

- Season 3 voice recording is complete and will help ensure there won’t be as long a gap again. 

- Sterling K. Brown is Angstrom Levy (!!!), Peter Cullen is Thaedus (!!!), and more legends like Rhea Seehorn, Tatiana Maslany and Josh Keaton are joining Season 2.

SORRY, POORLY WORDED. Posted JULY 25th, 8 posts up from that other post...

• Thanks 1

Great first episode as someone who has not read the comic series. It's great to have this show back, with the longer than normal for an animated show episode runtimes. I'm not a big fan of poor communication being the reason there's an issue between the hero and the villain depending on where they go with Angstrom Levy's story since what it looked like to me was that the Levy from one of the really bad dimensions (Levy #646 according to the subtitles) took over the hive mind from the pacifist Levy with portal powers and intends to kill every Invincible in every dimension, even though pacifist Levy did mention earlier there are "a few" other dimensions where Invincible goes against Omni-Man and does good, so maybe don't kill those ones? Other than that, show does everything right that season 1 did.

I also continue to really like the show. Personally, I'm much more interested in Invincible than all of The Boys stuff, even though I've enjoyed that all well enough. Invincible is just really good at being a thing and commenting on that thing, which is one of my favorite niches.

I started to get impatient and started reading some of the comics, and it's given me a greater appreciation for the adaptation. This was definitely not a "use the comics as a storyboard and just animate it" kind of thing. They really did a great job of editing, re-arranging, dropping, and re-writing where it would benefit the show, even though it has been what I would consider an extremely faithful adaptation.

• Hype 1

Could not make the wait for season 2 so ended up reading the whole series this summer. It's soo good, and can't wait to see stuff in the TV show.

As much as I love the comics, the show I think actually does a better job. Subtle changes here and there, but seems like so far they've simply been able to add more depth and flesh out some of the side characters more.

Angstrom Levy is a coll storyline. As we saw in episode one, he's essentially broken and gone insane due to the botched experiment.... it's more than miscommunication, that's just the tragedy of it all, that if they Mark would have done due diligence, it might never had happened.

• Hype 1

2 hours ago, Gavin King said:

Angstrom Levy is a coll storyline. As we saw in episode one, he's essentially broken and gone insane due to the botched experiment.... it's more than miscommunication, that's just the tragedy of it all, that if they Mark would have done due diligence, it might never had happened.

Miscommunication meaning they could have simply had a conversation explaining that they were on the same side long before implementation of the actual experiment - the fact someone as smart as the Armstrong Levy with portal powers signs up the Twins as henchmen out of prison, which he knows is morally dubious but necessary; you'd think he'd know given he says this dimension has an ostensibly good Invincible that there would be some response like what happens involved (aka a fight) And while Levy is definitely insane and broken, they cut to the one from the dimension that got truly fucked when Levy was explaining gathering all the Levys in flashback and it certainly sounded specifically like that Levy was holding the reigns of the Levys at the end wanting to kill all Invincibles, even though they know there are good ones. 

Should have called Invincible up first and explained this whole plan to him and Stern and got it done right. Instead it happens because Levy can't seem to yell loud enough to hear Invincible as he's understandably fucking shit up since the Twins are typically dangerous and involved in bad shit.

True... he could have also built his experiment in a dimension where no one was around to mess it up. In retrospect, he could have been smarter. Part of it is he's just cocky/full of himself and his backup plan was more Twins. He had no love for most dimension Invincibles, but instead of taking the blame himself, he's going to blame our Dimension's Invincible.

Ultimately, it's just the setup for how did a bad guy go bad, by a botched experiment. Though he meant well before, because he's all messed up now, he's gonna do some very evil things...

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Gavin King said:

True... he could have also built his experiment in a dimension where no one was around to mess it up. In retrospect, he could have been smarter. Part of it is he's just cocky/full of himself and his backup plan was more Twins. He had no love for most dimension Invincibles, but instead of taking the blame himself, he's going to blame our Dimension's Invincible.

Ultimately, it's just the setup for how did a bad guy go bad, by a botched experiment. Though he meant well before, because he's all messed up now, he's gonna do some very evil things...

Yeah - I mean, it's pretty clear the show wanted to get Levy to that dark place where he wants to almost irrationally kill all Invincibles now, I just felt the process to get there was incredibly inelegant. The: "don't listen to the scientist as he's yelling last minute to STOP because the hero can't hear you and all evidence points to something bad and calamitous happening" just isn't good writing in terms of creating a motivation for Levy.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

That was a pretty great mid-season finale. I'm not sure about being so casual about Omni-Man's redemption given what he did but it's a show so we're going to have to move on from it somehow. Show is as good as it was in season one, definitely looking forward to more.

It's a big problem in the comic too and I don't think it ever really works. Kinda funny that Omni-Man ends up getting exactly what the worst kind of viewer wants Homelander to get.

No specific spoilers for the comic, just general overall impressions of the whole thing.

Spoiler

The comic remains pretty consistently entertaining but I think it generally peaks early and this as well as your other post are kind of a good example as to why. We get to the point where more and more shit just sort of... happens. It's always pretty fun and cool, it just takes a lot of big swings that rarely hit the sweet spot, especially compared to some of the earlier bits.

• True 1

Funny, I found myself thinking "this is such a blatant mid-season episode" and I'd forgotten while I was watching that we have to wait until next year for the remainder of the episodes.

The pacing here feels pretty weird. On the one hand I can accept the suddenness of opening this up to the interstellar stuff as a good tradeoff for at least not dragging out the buildup to it. On the other hand it's at the expense of hitting the pause button on the interdimensional guy from the first episode so it's inevitably gonna feel weird and rushed when they eventually go back to him. And this mid-season finale was mostly just shuffling pieces around without much actually happening.

• True 1

I honestly don't think there's really any good way to "redeem" a character like Omni-Man so it's probably just as well that we're just pushed forward through it quickly enough so that we're not forced to think about it too hard (though in the show it's laughably clumsy).

This half-season has been "good" but it's very much a step downwards from the first season in terms of being a cohesive narrative.

29 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I honestly don't think there's really any good way to "redeem" a character like Omni-Man so it's probably just as well that we're just pushed forward through it quickly enough so that we're not forced to think about it too hard (though in the show it's laughably clumsy).

This half-season has been "good" but it's very much a step downwards from the first season in terms of being a cohesive narrative.

It felt kind of like trying pull a Vegeta with Omni-Man, except Vegeta has the benefit of it being a much more gradual transition from bad guy to good guy. Plus one of Goku's main shticks is getting his enemies to ally with him. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

It felt kind of like trying pull a Vegeta with Omni-Man, except Vegeta has the benefit of it being a much more gradual transition from bad guy to good guy. Plus one of Goku's main shticks is getting his enemies to ally with him. 

I have absolutely no bloody idea who those people are :p

5 hours ago, Jason said:

You've definitely seen Dragon Ball at least in passing on TV. :p

Dragon Ball Fighting GIF by Toei Animation

Funnily enough, I would wager 100% of the Dragonball content I have consumed has been via memes. I don't think I've ever seen it in passing on TV unless we're being super literal and I happened to be passing a TV in which it was on and not actively watching it, in which case... yeah probably. :p

There's still a lot more of the Omniman Arc.... and even bigger things for them to get through with the viewer. Mark has not forgiven him here, and he is not redeemed... on the road to give him more depth and nuance.

So many cool things for this show to get too. Highly recommend the comics, can get all the issues in just 3 compendium books. Kind of feel like ree reading it after just these 4 episodes.

I didn’t mind the first half but I’m with @Commissar SFLUFANabout this season not being a cohesive storyline like last year. Sometimes I feel like we aren’t even in the correct universe with the reveal of our bad guy at the beginning there and his abilities. The last episode was easily the best of the season and hope that things just keep ramping up from there. 

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

How accurate has this been to the comic?

In terms of vibes, fairly accurate. The beats are the same in broad strokes but a lot has been sped up (the Omni-Man swerve doesn’t happen until something like the 10th issue), there are fewer side characters on the show, there’s been some changes to the races of some of the characters (Mark and his mom, Amber), etc. 

9 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

How accurate has this been to the comic?

It's very true to the comic. Very few deviations, a few nice additions, and nothing major has been cut. A few things have been reshuffled as the timeline has been cut down and a few major character beats have been jettisoned, but all in all I'd say it's trying very hard to be comic accurate. Also helps that it looks extremely similar.

• 1 month later...