The Game Awards 2020 (10 December 2020) OT (The Last of Us Part II wins GOTY!))

Pikachu

9 hours ago, The def star said:

Are these still good to watch? I haven't seen a game award since Deadmau5 played at one.

They are much better, and less cringey than the SpikeTV days. They're still kind of MTV Awards-y though, and way too much of a marketing stint with trailers premiering at it. 

3 minutes ago, Brick said:

They are much better, and less cringey than the SpikeTV days. They're still kind of MTV Awards-y though, and way too much of a marketing stint with trailers premiering at it. 

Every awards show is marketing though :p Also, I like game trailers anyway :blush:

34 minutes ago, legend said:

Every awards show is marketing though :p Also, I like game trailers anyway :blush:

Well yeah, and I like the trailers too, but I mean gaming doesn't have an awards ceremony like the Academy Awards, the Emmys, the Grammys, or the like yet. Sure those can be a bit pretentious, and snobby, but at least those are focused on awarding the art from the previous year, and aren't going, "Stay tuned for the new reveal trailer coming up in five minutes". 

I've found them to be pretty mindless quasi-entertainment that is mainly worth watching for a few announcements and for hoping for great memes like the Schick Moisturebot or whatever. But they usually happen when there's not much else going on so what else are you gonna do? Spend time with your family? Don't make me laugh.

• Thanks 1

• Pikachu changed the title to The Game Awards 2020 (10 December 2020) OT (Update: GOTY nominees announced!)
16 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I want Doom Eternal to win. Even thought I didn't play it, Hades is pretty deserving of the win and it would be cool to see it win. 

I'm playing through Pyre right now because I don't own Hades yet. 

Ori 2 and Demon's Souls are the most notable omission from the GOTY list

Had a discussion with someone where I said they should swap out Animal Crossing on the multiplayer list and put Phasmophobia instead.

But, even though he's never played it, was very adamant that it should be on there because if you put an enormous amount of effort in there you can "play games" with other people.