Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Final Fantasy XVI (Summer 2023) – Information Thread, update: advertisement kinda/sorta confirms 6 months of PS5 console exclusivity
18 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Honestly it feels weird playing a Square Japan RPG on a non Sony Console

I have played more on Nintendo Consoles and PC than I have on a Sony Console. I was hoping when the game was announced that I would be console exclusive, but also on PC. Sucks donkey dick that there is a 6 month delay even for PC. Sony needs to die. 

• Shocked 1
  • True 1

On 11/8/2022 at 1:46 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

I assumed it was exclusive. Honestly it feels weird playing a Square Japan RPG on a non Sony Console.

Except for 3D2D style stuff on Nintendo, which also just feels right. There's nostalgia to playing a game like Octopath on switch. 

It's a lost opportunity that there isn't a dock made to look exactly like an NES to sit in my entertainment system. Preferably the original size. There's just something I love about the look of that console (which im sure is just nostalgia).

On 11/8/2022 at 2:30 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Sony the company crying about the possibility of not getting a COD in 8 years are the ones still keeping FF7RE off of Xbox. 🥴

This is true (and Sony has tons of exclusives that kill their argument), but the scale is so much different.

A good FF sells 7-9 million copies lifetime on average. A good CoD sells that launch week.

On 11/4/2022 at 6:07 PM, Brian said:
finalfantasyxvi-blogroll-1667566676478.j
WWW.IGN.COM

In an exclusive interview with IGN, four members of Final Fantasy 16's development team come together to talk about topics ranging from being the first M-rated Final Fantasy to...

Finally finished reading this and I have to admit this interview made me go from wanting to buy this game dayone to I'll wait for a price drop or for it to be free. Whenever your answer to diversity is essentially "We wanted our made up bullshit fantasy world to be more realistic to the time period we are depicting so everybody has to be white." tells me that you don't really want MY money. I'm sure a bunch of folks will disagree with me but that was a very lame answer to that question... especially coming from a person of color (even though I know the Japanese don't think of themselves as being "people of color") Sigh...

• True 1

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Finally finished reading this and I have to admit this interview made me go from wanting to buy this game dayone to I'll wait for a price drop or for it to be free. Whenever your answer to diversity is essentially "We wanted our made up bullshit fantasy world to be more realistic to the time period we are depicting so everybody has to be white." tells me that you don't really want MY money. I'm sure a bunch of folks will disagree with me but that was a very lame answer to that question... especially coming from a person of color (even though I know the Japanese don't think of themselves as being "people of color") Sigh...

Not that it should be something anyone pays attention to but it bothers me in twitter comments for a lot of stories addressing diversity in media. Could these people be fake black people? Maybe. But you see a lot of comments saying, "I'm black it doesn't bother me, you don't need black people in everything" or something like that. But this is a thing that absolutely does matter. I mean how pumped were you to play Tekken 3 when you saw Eddie Gordo or FFVII when Barrett was in the game? Heck for me when I was growing up I was always bummed to see black people getting killed off in movies. I cried when SPOILERS Miles Dyson died in Terminator 2 :cry:

My dad said he never got into Cheers because there were no black people on the show.

So yeah these things absolutely do matter and saying, "this fictional world that we created has no people of color in it" is a bad excuse, maybe create a world that isn't just for whites only. 🤷‍♀️

• True 1

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Not that it should be something anyone pays attention to but it bothers me in twitter comments for a lot of stories addressing diversity in media. Could these people be fake black people? Maybe. But you see a lot of comments saying, "I'm black it doesn't bother me, you don't need black people in everything" or something like that. But this is a thing that absolutely does matter. I mean how pumped were you to play Tekken 3 when you saw Eddie Gordo or FFVII when Barrett was in the game? Heck for me when I was growing up I was always bummed to see black people getting killed off in movies. I cried when SPOILERS Miles Dyson died in Terminator 2 :cry:

My dad said he never got into Cheers because there were no black people on the show.

So yeah these things absolutely do matter and saying, "this fictional world that we created has no people of color in it" is a bad excuse, maybe create a world that isn't just for whites only. 🤷‍♀️

Dude I TOTALLY understand why you cried when Dyson died in Terminator 2... the only black man of prominence in the franchise was not only responsible for Skynet and the doom of humanity in the first place, but he was an intellectual, not very heroic nerd who died and left his wife and son behind. There was a lot to unpack there and the older brothers I grew up around made sure I knew it :p. Nothing makes me sadder than seeing black nerds complain about diversity in fiction. I'm friends with a well known black creative whose Facebook feed (he's older) is full of complaining about "pandering race casting in movies" He bitched about Namor not being white ( I guess his Latino in Wakanda, gonna see it tomorrow), He bitched about Wonderman potentially being black in the MCU moving forward (Nobody outside of comic book nerds knows who Wonderman is and thus, they don't give a shit) and he bitched about a whole host of other shit. It's sad because 1, he's a nice guy and 2, he's a pretty influential voice in the industry and he legitimizes all of the racists who don't want to see people of color on screen in ANY capacity. I grew up reading comics and not having a lot of black role models in genre fiction was definitely something that affected you whether it was conscious or unconscious. What sad about THIS instance is that The Japanese have a LOOOOOONG history of marginalizing THEMSELVES in their own fiction for whatever reason which is weird. I remember me and my friends joking about Terry and Andy Bogard being the main protagonists in Fatal Fury... that never made sense to us. I can go on and on but this isn't the forum or place for that... one day if you and I or anyone else on this forum are lucky enough to have a couple of beers, you'll definitely hear my thoughts on this type of shit. But yeah, I still want to play this game and probably will... just not for full price if any money :p

• Hugs 1

I will say that certain Japanese devs are getting better about it. Capcom for instance, SFV Birdie was a disgrace, he's a damn cartoon character and they turned him from a cool guy to a fat slob, and the story expansion didn't do him any favors either.

But with SFVI it looks like they are actually respecting black people (even having "consultants" to help) and I gotta say Kimberly looks like an awesome character treated with respect. Nakama and Matsumoto (the directors of street fighter) are relatively young so hopefully it's a new trend among younger developers to look out for diversity in the future.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I will say that certain Japanese devs are getting better about it. Capcom for instance, SFV Birdie was a disgrace, he's a damn cartoon character and they turned him from a cool guy to a fat slob, and the story expansion didn't do him any favors either.

But with SFVI it looks like they are actually respecting black people (even having "consultants" to help) and I gotta say Kimberly looks like an awesome character treated with respect. Nakama and Matsumoto (the directors of street fighter) are relatively young so hopefully it's a new trend among younger developers to look out for diversity in the future.

Oh yeah, some Japanese devs and animators are DEFINTELY getting it... I think it's the younger generation. Japan has been HEAVILY influenced by Black culture just like a bunch of other places and it's starting to shine through in the creative work.

• True 1

I was thinking, if there is a CE the comes out, I'd get it. But now I was thinking, I don't really care about character statues anymore. And you know that will be part of the CE, a Clive or Ifrit statue. Unless it is of some big booba chick, I don't think I'll care. I love when CEs have a bunch of unique stuff. Like, one I got game with a titty mouse pad, an anime pillow case, an erotic selection of the sound track, and a wash cloth totally no meant to clean up splooge. The persona 4 golden came with a case and vita decals and other stuff. Persona 5 came with a school bag, a plush toy and some other stuff.

I like that kind of stuff. I'd actually love a plushie over any kind of boring plastic statue. No, not of the dog. That's boring. A plush of Ifrit would be cool. I loved plushies when I was a kid. I still own a plush Tonberry, Cactuar, Shy guy, Rathalos, Scumbag (Bastion), Vash the Stampede, Morgana, and maybe other I am forgetting.

• True 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Final Fantasy XVI (22 June 2023) – Information Thread, update:
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Final Fantasy XVI (22 June 2023) – Information Thread, update: "Revenge" trailer, 22 June 2023 release announced
3 minutes ago, legend said:

Is it? I mean, relative to other collections editions is that actually bad? It looks like the same kind of collectors edition useless trinkets you get anywhere :p 

I mean, aside from the statue it has really nothing. And pretty much every modern CE is shit and this one is no different. It had a chance of being good by being different but is is literally the most basic they could get away.