Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

That's cool. I am downloading it now and most likely will play it immediately following 16. I hope the music is close to being as magical as 16. 

FF7R has one of the best soundtracks in gaming. They took the already excellent compositions from the original game and made them everything they should be in the modern age. Their cover of the AIrbuster theme just keeps getting better as it goes and it makes the fight so fucking epic. FFXVI has a good soundtrack for sure, but it still hasn't hit the highs of the FF7R soundtrack. (Though I suppose there is time for that to change!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

8 hours ago, best3444 said:

How many hours are you in? Where would you rank this compared to other FF games?

I'm not sure how far I'm in. I have just arrived in the desert zone. As for other FF games, while I haven't played all of them, outside of 14, I'd guess It might be my favorite so far. The FF series has so many dumb writing choices that even FF16's tropey story is well-told enough for me to rank it among the best. I am definitely having the most fun with the gameplay while still being disappointed by it.

FF16 being the best FF outside of 14 really isn't a hard task as my most recent play-thrus of older FFs has left me feeling like the FF series as a whole is kinda mid tbh. And it's been so long since I have played FF7 that I couldn't say which is exactly better. I have never been a massive FF fan. I'm a massive 14 fan, but it wasn't until 14 that I started to go back and play the FF games I skipped.

9 hours ago, best3444 said:

Should I play FF7 remake?

No.

8 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

I know @Bacon is disappointed in me but this and TotK are the only CE's I've ever bought. My 2 favorite series, had to do it.

Nah, I get wanting to own merch of shit you like. I think the FF16 merch is overpriced and not very good, but I get it. If the CE came with a plushy or items that I could use practically, I might have been inclined to get it, but I am just so over statues. At least statues that are of just people or monsters. Like, if it was a whole mini-set piece, think like those Christmas displays of baby Jesus being born with the 3 wise kings and animals and shit, and I could be down with that if it was a scene from the game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Nah, I get wanting to own merch of shit you like. I think the FF16 merch is overpriced and not very good, but I get it. If the CE came with a plushy or items that I could use practically, I might have been inclined to get it, but I am just so over statues. At least statues that are of just people or monsters. Like, if it was a whole mini-set piece, think like those Christmas displays of baby Jesus being born with the 3 wise kings and animals and shit, and I could be down with that if it was a scene from the game.

It's definitely overpriced I think all CE's are, it's why I never buy them. I actually like the statue because Ifrit has been in every game since FF3 & Phoenix since FF5. I don't own any other statues unless you count amiibo.

The only CE I slightly regret not buying is Elden Ring.

• Hugs 1

9 hours ago, Biggie said:

Why would you want to? His name isn’t dog it’s Torgal and you will call him as such. You’re dead to me. 

Omg I laugh everytime you say someone is dead to you. That's why I stole it from you. Fuckin hilarious. 🤣 

9 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

His assistance is minimal in any important fight, but I’ve never had any problems with him.

Yeah.  In big monster/boss fights he can't launch things, so effectively he's just a DoT spell.  I just don't want him there.  Hell I'd also leave behind Cid/Jill/whoever if I could.  I'm the guy that never brings his palico along in Monster Hunter.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Slug said:

Yeah.  In big monster/boss fights he can't launch things, so effectively he's just a DoT spell.  I just don't want him there.  Hell I'd also leave behind Cid/Jill/whoever if I could.  I'm the guy that never brings his palico along in Monster Hunter.

The Office No GIF

9 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Is both incredibly exciting, too easy, and a way too long.

I mean, yeah, but like, it was still hype AF the whole time. Really, it was that the "giga" mode and the part after had 1 phase too many. Like if you were to say each form had 3 phases then it just needed to be brought down by one phase per form imo. The only actual bad part of the whole fight was

Spoiler

the on-rails shooter shit again. At least with Firebird, it was new and fresh, but it was already old and busted by the end of that fight. Had no place in the Titan fight.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I mean, yeah, but like, it was still hype AF the whole time. Really, it was that the "giga" mode and the part after had 1 phase too many. Like if you were to say each form had 3 phases then it just needed to be brought down by one phase per form imo. The only actual bad part of the whole fight was

Hide contents

the on-rails shooter shit again. At least with Firebird, it was new and fresh, but it was already old and busted by the end of that fight. Had no place in the Titan fight.

Yeah, it was in no way bad, I thoroughly enjoyed it, I just felt it was a bit too long. 

agreed on the shooter too, definitely the worst part of it. 

overall though, It’s probably one of the most epic moments in the game. The music throughout was absolutely amazing as well. 

im pissed all the hideout songs are so expensive.

26 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I gotta say though, this may be the best story in a game in a very long time.

I love it but currently not exactly sure what will happen because things got a bit confusing. I know it will all be explained so I look forward to getting further today. I love Cid. 

While just a guess, I am pretty sure I know who will be one of the final 3 Eikons we face off with. Actual spoilers.

Spoiler

Phoenix controlled by Ultima. One of the last fights will have you redoing the first Eikon battle but while in control of Clive. 

Also, not spoilers, but there are 8 elements, right?

1. Fire
  2. Ice
  3. Wind
  4. Earth
  5. Lightning
  6. Light
  7. Dark
  8. Water

So, in that case, WHO and WHERE IN THE FUCK is Leviathan?! I have four guesses so far but I am waiting with bated breath to find out who it is. This is actually the game's biggest mystery. The game hasn't even brought up the subject.

• Halal 1

18 minutes ago, Bacon said:

While just a guess, I am pretty sure I know who will be one of the final 3 Eikons we face off with. Actual spoilers.

Reveal hidden contents

Also, not spoilers, but there are 8 elements, right?

1. Fire
  2. Ice
  3. Wind
  4. Earth
  5. Lightning
  6. Light
  7. Dark
  8. Water

So, in that case, WHO and WHERE IN THE FUCK is Leviathan?! I have four guesses so far but I am waiting with bated breath to find out who it is. This is actually the game's biggest mystery. The game hasn't even brought up the subject.

I’ve been wondering that for quite a while.

And since im building a

Spoiler

A ship named ENTERPRISE

Im guessing I’ll find out soon.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I gotta say though, this may be the best story in a game in a very long time.

The writing is very good I agree

42 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I love it but currently not exactly sure what will happen because things got a bit confusing. I know it will all be explained so I look forward to getting further today. I love Cid. 

Cid is cool as fuck

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

Is it just me or is this game insanely easy so far? I feel like I’ve barely take any damage is fights.

Some boss fights and B-rank and above hunt targets can be tough. Your normal enemy fights are not difficult.

I'd say the combat isn't "hard." I've died a few times, but generally because I decide in those fights to refuse to use a potion (which is a matter of principle more than actual cost and abundance of potions :p ). I've beat almost all boss fights themselves on the first try. The last boss I did gave me some trouble (though I did still win on the first try), but that's mostly because I was using the generally more fun Berserker ring, but which has the downside of zooming the camera so close you can't see anything but Clive's head, and since the boss (like many others) continues unimpeded through many uninterruptible attacks, the close zoom ins sometimes left me unable to see where they were to time the next dodge :p 

And that's mostly okay. The game doesn't need to be "hard" to be engaging. My main issue is I dislike how long unresponsive boss attacks are. One unresponsive attack at a time... okay fine I guess. Five in a row and you're getting me to roll my eyes.

18 hours ago, legend said:

FF7R has one of the best soundtracks in gaming. They took the already excellent compositions from the original game and made them everything they should be in the modern age. Their cover of the AIrbuster theme just keeps getting better as it goes and it makes the fight so fucking epic. FFXVI has a good soundtrack for sure, but it still hasn't hit the highs of the FF7R soundtrack. (Though I suppose there is time for that to change!)

For me, Find the Flame has been the best tune so far. The others have been real good but nothing approaching Find the Flame for me personally. FF7R did have a lot of great tracks, but it's hard for anything in all of gaming to come close to 10 years of FF14 music where Soken's just been jizzing all over us every few months.

Some of you know I suck at games in general and yes, FF16 is easy. I died maybe two times with bosses but then they respawn you with all your potions and the bosses health is critically low.

I for for love this because I can just enjoy the combat and game. But I know a lot of you prefer a challenge and you do not get that with this game. 

27 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Some of you know I suck at games in general and yes, FF16 is easy. I died maybe two times with bosses but then they respawn you with all your potions and the bosses health is critically low.

I for for love this because I can just enjoy the combat and game. But I know a lot of you prefer a challenge and you do not get that with this game. 

IMO it's not important that a game is hard so long as it's engaging. When a game is too easy it often means you don't really have to think about what you're doing. But that's not always the case. I think FFXVI actually does fine in this regard: it's easy, but I do have to stay engaged and that's good. (Well, at least I stay engaged if I stop myself from just doing magic blasts from a distance which is far more effective than it ought to be :p ) I have other issues with it -- i.e., the unresponsive enemies is unsatisfying -- but all in all it's still fun.

• Halal 1

My one big complaint about the combat generally is visibility.  Too many of my moves obscure the enemy which makes it a lot harder when fighting a stagger-bar enemy/boss that still does their attacks while getting hit. I get hit a lot during my own moves because I flat out can't see the enemy winding up for an attack.

Also @legend the Beszerker Ring is great. :D It lunges so much further than a regular perfect dodge. 

13 minutes ago, legend said:

(Well, at least I stay engaged if I stop myself from just doing magic blasts from a distance which is far more effective than it ought to be :p )

Oh I meant to ask you about this before. Are you using an accessory or something that enhances your magic? Because my magic blasts barely even do chip damage. Even charged. As a result I almost never use them. The only time I magic blast is if I'm too far away for one of my gap closing abilities; I fire as I'm running at an enemy to get in range. That's literally the only time.