Why did the Wii's pointer controls not become more widely implemented?

ShreddieMercury

After digging through some of the Wii catalogue, I've come to two realizations: this console has outrageously underrated software, and the Wii-mote is superior to any other console controller for shooters.  I bought a Wii at launch and enjoyed my time with it, but it wasn't until I really started exploring its deep catalogue of games that I've come to have an appreciation for the pointer controls.  It's crazy how much better it feels to aim in shooters and action games on Wii than it does on any other console.  Gyro aiming is also great, but it's super rare and still nowhere near as precise as the control offered by the Wii-mote.  Why did this style of control die with the Wii?  Will it ever return?

I suspect the actual answer is that the "controller" is so ubiquitous at this point, with essentially all models representing the same basic feel, that it would be a big gamble for any hardware or software developer to stray from that accepted form of control. 

I also don't think it's fitting for a lot of games I personally want to play. I loved it for Resident Evil 4, but wouldn't want to play Call of Duty with it, for example.  There's an additional level of immersion that it allows, but to me it doesn't always make for a better experience. 

57 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I find that gyro enhanced aiming is generally less cumbersome than the pointer set-up, especially in FPSs.  But it's still a fun control scheme.  I really enjoyed my time with the new Goldeneye 007 game.

One of these days I'll get around to Red Steel 2.

The issue with gyro for me is that it's more about fine tuning the aim, so you're still using it in conjunction with the thumb stick.  I prefer that to pure stick aiming, but it still falls short of pointer controls in my eyes.  The Last of Us Part II just implemented gyro aiming with a patch, so I'm excited to try that.  Since most controllers have this capability I don't know why it's not at least an option in most games.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I wasn't against motion controls as a thing, I was against motion controls being forced into game types that already worked fine without them. To this day I'd love to play a version of Skyward  Sword that I could just play with a controller.

To the contrary, I’d love to see Skyward Sword remastered with a more responsive, modern motion controller.  

BoTW still can’t touch its combat.  Take the gyro swimming away though.

5 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

The Last of Us Part II just implemented gyro aiming with a patch, so I'm excited to try that. 

Shit they did?! So many times while playing there were moments that I would miss a headshot and wish I had gyro aiming to have helped out when I can't quite keep the thumbsticks on target.

12 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

To the contrary, I’d love to see Skyward Sword remastered with a more responsive, modern motion controller.  

BoTW still can’t touch its combat.  Take the gyro swimming away though.

I liked the combat. Having to see where the monster was holding its shield to know whether to swing high or low or from the left or right was cool. Where they lost me was the swimming, rolling, etc. that was holding one or two buttons and waggling to get Link to do a specific thing. Maybe it would've grown on me after a while, but I played through the first dungeon or so and I was done.

14 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I liked the combat. Having to see where the monster was holding its shield to know whether to swing high or low or from the left or right was cool. Where they lost me was the swimming, rolling, etc. that was holding one or two buttons and waggling to get Link to do a specific thing. Maybe it would've grown on me after a while, but I played through the first dungeon or so and I was done.

Flying was also very confusing at first.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Its worth powering through.  Best bosses in the 3D series, arguably so with the dungeons too.  First one is bad though, and there is some padding in places elsewhere.  But the creativity in SS is just wild when it’s at its best.

8 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

This was how I reacted on launch day when I was doing 360 no scope flick shot arrow kills in Twilight Princess.

The closest implementation we'll see going forward, in "mainstream" is VR with more advanced tracking.  I doubt we'll see controller tracking in "2D" games.

Yeah, that was my reaction as well. It just clicked in a way that made the most sense since most and keyboard for a FPS. Gyro controls aren't as quick and fluid as the Wii Pointer method. I was very disappointed when I learned that the Switch's IR camera was going to be pointing in the wrong direction.

21 hours ago, Brick said:

Shit they did?! So many times while playing there were moments that I would miss a headshot and wish I had gyro aiming to have helped out when I can't quite keep the thumbsticks on target.

Yeah!  A pretty significant patch for the game went live yesterday.  Grounded mode, tons of gameplay and visual modifiers, and gyro controls.  I tried them out and it's awesome - just be sure to crank the sensitivity to 10 on both axis, I found it too slow on the default of 5.

@Keyser_Soze I cannot get use to KB/M.  I've tried to get a hang of that control scheme and it always makes me wish I was playing with a controller.  I don't really play online stuff though, so I'm sure it's more of a necessity in those twitchy games.

On 8/13/2020 at 2:16 PM, crispy4000 said:

I find that gyro enhanced aiming is generally less cumbersome than the pointer set-up, especially in FPSs.  But it's still a fun control scheme.  I really enjoyed my time with the new Goldeneye 007 game.

One of these days I'll get around to Red Steel 2.

I never understood why the Motion+ didn't use the sensor bar to keep itself oriented instead of making you constantly re-center it.