The editor and publisher of "The Kingkiller Chronicle" doesn't believe Patrick Rothfuss has "written anything for six years"

Betsy Wollheim isn't only Rothfuss's editor - she's the president of DAW Books, his publisher!

Wollheim was initially responding to an article on the publishing news and book recommendation site Book Riot, which pushed back against the widespread discontent from fans at the long wait for The Doors of Stone after the 2011 publication of the second book in the trilogy, The Wise Man's Fear. While that article didn't mention Wollheim by name, the editor objected to several points raised in it, including a portion that speculated Kingkiller Chronicle delays may be due to a lengthy editorial process.

"I've never seen a word of book three," Wollheim wrote in the initial post, which was first highlighted by the science-fiction and fantasy blog The Wertzone on Sunday.

Hey, at least GRRM posts chapters from The Winds of Winter on his blog!

While Rothfuss and GRRM do whatever the hell it is they do with their time that DEFINITELY involves not actually writing the books that they've been paid to write, Brandon Sanderson keeps cranking out 1,000+ page tomes!

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Was he winging it and just ran out of "it"? I don't think I'll read the third book anyway if it ever comes out. I'll just read the spoilers. 

I seem to recall him saying at one point that the first book was kind of a "happy accident" in how it turned out, or something to that effect.

It's just my luck that the last two series I read back to back, was A Song of Fire and Ice and then The Kingkiller Chronicles.

All I know is, I'm reading something from Sanderson next. That guy is a machine that always delivers.

In any case, if book 3 comes out, I'll definitely read it. I enjoyed the first two. But there's no way he wraps up the intended story in 3 books. There would have to be a second trilogy for all of the present day stuff.

10 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I have the first two books sitting on my shelf. I haven't touched either of them because I know if I finish them that's just another series I'll be waiting for the end of that might never come. When I get a release date for the third book I'll read them.

The third book is never coming out. The author has even indicated that he may never write again, and is now happier spending time as a father at home. On the one hand, that sucks because the first book is the best fantasy novel I've ever read (I just bought the second but haven't read it) and he clearly has enormous skill with words. On the other hand, it's his life, and artists don't owe their audience anything.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The third book is never coming out. The author has even indicated that he may never write again, and is now happier spending time as a father at home. On the one hand, that sucks because the first book is the best fantasy novel I've ever read (I just bought the second but haven't read it) and he clearly has enormous skill with words. On the other hand, it's his life, and artists don't owe their audience anything.

In general I agree with this. I don't know if it's the case for the Kingkiller Chronicle specifically, but when you start a planned book series and people buy into it I think you do owe your audience an effort at an ending.

On 7/27/2020 at 7:30 PM, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I'm pretty sure that one of Sanderson's daily goals to is to write at least 250 pages before lunch!

Reminds me of that panel where GRRM asks Stephen King “how do you write so fast?” and King basically says “...it’s my job. I sit down and I do it”

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2020 at 8:21 PM, CitizenVectron said:

I don’t really agree. I think there is a social contract between an author and the people who people who buy their books to give them what they promised. Obviously a social contract isn’t worth its weight in salt, but it goes to show what they think of the fans who made them rich. 

Especially when he used to say Doors of Stone was complete, and just needed to go through rewrites. 

Basically I think he is a dick for refusing to even update his fans on the book, and his constant whining about fans asking about it.

12 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I don’t really agree. I think there is a social contract between an author and the people who people who buy their books to give them what they promised. Obviously a social contract isn’t worth its weight in salt, but it goes to show what they think of the fans who made them rich. 

Especially when he used to say Doors of Stone was complete, and just needed to go through rewrites. 

Basically I think he is a dick for refusing to even update his fans on the book, and his constant whining about fans asking about it.

I do believe that he wrote all three books originally. In the editing process he changed the first book heavily, and that rippled out to the point where the second and third needed total rewrites as well. The publisher even made mention that they delayed the second book to push for more editing.