Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: "The Last Chapter" trailer - free update that ties up the loose ends of Eivor's story

Commissar SFLUFAN

47 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm only 11 hours in and for some reason this game isn't grabbing me like I hoped it would, but there isn't anything in particular that I can point to that is off putting. Instead it almost feels like the game is less than the sum of its parts.

I do think that progression in this game is poorly done, and I'm not just talking about the skill tree. At power 50 I don't have a dominant skill tree direction, so I'm hesitant to upgrade my armor. There really isn't that much gear overall it seems, so I've hardly changed gear at all so far. My settlement is only level 3, but it doesn't seem like there's a huge impetus to upgrade it. Most buildings just increase the feast buff, and the others are probably more interesting for their quest lines than for the building function.

Earlier this year I played through Far Cry New Dawn, which also had a settlement mechanic, and that really motivated me to do everything I could to upgrade it. Settlement progress gated new weapons, vehicles, maps, healing, health, and mission types. If I remember correctly, there were also a whole bunch of things that would help upgrade, so most of what you were doing would help in that regard. In Valhalla, you need to be looting specific things, which makes sense, but also limits choices and ability to progress the settlement.

I have also gotten a lot of bugs. A couple crashes, but much more frequently issues with enemy AI. They'll just stand around or not react to my presence even in red zones. Couple visual hiccups, but nothing too serious.

So far it's probably my least favorite of the three most recent AC games. Hopefully that will change as I get further in.

You pick gear for your playstyle, and upgrade it. You won’t just find better gear, you’ll find adjacent gear. You have to choose which stats and perks you want, and upgrade that armor. Bear/Raven/Wolf. At level 309 I have maybe 10 sets of armor. Only two are fully upgraded 

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

Boy. Going from playing Cyberpunk on my Xbox one x to booting up Assassin's Creed Valhalla was eye opening. Both visually and gameplay wise. This is a great game.

Yeah, but you should see cyberpunk on pc. It looks incredible. And When raytracing is on, its the nicest game ive ever seen. The framerate isn’t worth the trouble, but wow. Eivor never looked this good.

Very large patch coming today!

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla – Title Update 1.1.0 December 15, 2020, 12:00 AM

We will be deploying Title Update 1.1.0 on December 15, 2020.

Patch Sizes and Deployment Timing:

· PC: ~5.6 GB

Deployment timing for all platforms: 1 pm CET | 7 am ET | 4 am PT | 11 pm AEDT

Please note that these timings are estimates and subject to change.

Check out the most notable changes with 1.1.0 below.

CONTENT

Added in-game support for the Settlement expansion and Yule Festival

· The Yule Festival is a time-limited event with several festivities to enjoy and rewards to obtain. To bring this and future festivals to life, you'll see the arrival of the revellers just east of the current settlement.

· We’ll provide more details about the Settlement expansion and the Yule Festival in our upcoming Yule Season Preview article. Stay tuned. 😊

Miscellaneous

· - Legendary animal trophies will now correctly appear in the Longhouse.

Balancing

· Tweaked the NPC power level behaviour.

o - NPCs power will now be at a maximum difference of 51 below the player.

o - NPCs that are 51 power below the player will be highlighted in green.

o World bosses will match the player's power level when the power exceeds the world bosses’ base level. (also applies to: Alpha animals, Zealots)

o This change applies to all difficulties.

· Added loot-able chests to the Grand Magaester's hideout.

o Note: This hideout is only available from a very specific moment in the game. Spoilers. :)

· Addressed an issue where the Crit. Spark rune would not work when slotted into bows.

· Addressed an issue where wrong weapon stats were displayed for specific items.

o Royal Guard

o Viper Bow

o Death-Speaker

o The Mark of Sol

o Doppelhander

o Hundtoth

Game improvements
Performance and Stability

· Improved stability and performance.

· (PC) Addressed some freezes when performing specific actions for the first time.

· (PC) Addressed an issue that could cause freezes during Splash Screen.

Graphics, Audio, Animation

· Addressed various graphics issues.

· Addressed various character or NPC animation issues.

· Addressed various clipping issues.

· Addressed an issue where fish may lay on its side during the fishing animation.

· Addressed an issue where some NPCs would cut the air instead of wheat. *practice doesn’t always make perfect.*

· Addressed an issue where NPCs that are being assassinated while being unconscious would sometimes get up during the animation.

· Tattooed Mimir’s head. *¯\_(ツ)_/¯*

· Addressed an issue with jagged sea foam.

Quests, World Events, Side Activities
· Addressed an issue in A Sword-Shower in Anecastre where Aelfgar didn't move to the assault location.

· Addressed an issue where players cannot complete Honor's Hubris.

o Note: This fix will spawn Ljufvina again, reset her position, and restart the quest.

· Addressed an issue that caused Tarben to follow Eivor everywhere when The Baker's Plaint wasn't completed. *Your watch has ended, Tarben.*

· Addressed an issue where Fast Travel wouldn't be available under certain conditions when returning to England after completing the Hordafylke arc.

· Addressed an issue where Allies would not help Eivor opening doors at the Isle of Ely Monastery. *Team work makes the dream work!*

· Addressed an issue with the Settlement Anomaly's light beams that prevented players from completing the anomaly.

· Addressed an issue in Well-Traveled where the objective would not update under certain circumstances.

· Addressed an issue where Fenrir could get stuck underground.

· Addressed an issue where Eivor would sometimes be levitating during Assault outros. *No more Wingardium Leviosa for this one.*

· Addressed an issue in Defensive Measures where Jotuns would be able to pass through the shield after the Bring the Invaders into the Shield objective was completed. *You shall not pass!*

· Addressed an issue in Brewing Rebellion where the cutscene wouldn't trigger when the door was opened by an NPC by accident.

· Addressed an issue in The False Ealdormancy that prevented players from completing it under certain conditions. *This Hunwald ain’t loyal...*

· Addressed an issue in Kingdom’s End where Guthrum doesn't leave the Hamptun Blockade area after releasing the prisoners or could randomly become inactive.

· Addressed an issue in A Sword-Shower in Anecastre that prevented players from completing the quest.

· Addressed an issue in The Goddess of Birth that prevented players from completing the event.

· Addressed an issue in Glory Regained where players could become stuck on the platform with the horn.

· Addressed an issue in View Above All where the quest objective would sometimes not update after closing the gates.

· Addressed an issue in A Rivalry for the Ages where players couldn't complete the quest under certain circumstances.

· Addressed an issue in The Boar with the Golden Nose where players couldn't complete a world event due to Lady Trotters not spawning.

· Addressed an issue in Defensive Measures where players would die when returning to Asgard.

· Addressed an issue in Cruel Destiny that prevented players from proceeding to the second phase of the boss fight. *Quest name checks out.*

· Addressed an issue in Madness of the Stones that prevented players from proceeding with the quest.

· Addressed an issue in Bleeding the Leech that prevented players from completing the quest.

· Addressed an issue where Petra would run into the opposite direction of the Elk. *See this, Petra?*

· Addressed an issue where players could sometimes not get back into the room with the Norns.

· Addressed an issue in Giants of Fimbulwinter where Eivor could get stuck inside the quest area.

· Addressed an issue in Smashing the Compass that prevented players from completing the quest.

· Addressed an issue in War Weary where players couldn't re-enter the church under certain circumstances.

· Addressed an issue in War of the Collectors where the world event wouldn't be completed under certain circumstances.

· Addressed an issue in The Big Finish where the quest objective wouldn't update further.

· Addressed an issue that prevented players from entering Skyrmir's Mitten in The Lost Cauldron.

· Addressed an issue in Firing the Arrow where the quest objective would sometimes not update.

· Addressed an issue where some players couldn't progress the game anymore upon reaching England after Title Update 1.0.4.

· Addressed an issue with the SteinnBjorn encounter.

World

· Addressed various object or texture placement issues.

· Addressed various instances where the player could become stuck on objects.

Gameplay, Combat, AI

· Addressed various NPC behavior/animation issues.

· Addressed an issue that allowed players to shoot targets through walls (without using Piercing Shot).

· Addressed an issue with spears not being effective to destroy windows.

· Addressed an issue where the fishing hut kid was roaming Ravensthorpe instead of being at their house. *You’re officially grounded.*

· Horses will now run away when being hurt with a torch.

· Addressed an issue where Jotuns could sometimes warp into walls when shape shifting. *Gidgud*

· Addressed an issue where monks would sometimes stand still and not perform their tasks.

· Addressed an issue where hitting a horse with a Saxon boat will cause it to disappear when mounting it. *Insert what.gif here*

· Sprint will now be interrupted by actions other than dodging.

· Addressed an issue where Eivor would become invisible to AI detection when fast travelling during a dice game.

· Addressed an issue where NPCs may randomly start pirouetting on a Saxon boat. *Whatever floats your boat I guess.*

Abilities, Perks, Skills
· Addressed an issue where players couldn't perform heavy attacks with Frostruin or Sinner Skull.

· Addressed an issue where Frostruin's perk wouldn't activate even when conditions are met.

· Addressed instances where players were able to open barred doors with the Dive of the Valkyries ability.

· Addressed an issue where the Level 2 Incendiary Power Trap couldn't be detonated a second time when the first trap was set off by an NPC.

· Addressed an issue where Man's Best Friend wouldn't deal any damage to Zealots in some instances. *Good boi.*

· Largely increased Mastery Points cap.

User Interface / HUD

· Addressed various UI/HUD issues.

· Addressed various localization issues.

· Items that are part of a bundle in the Animus Store will now show the corresponding items in the Details Page.

· Addressed an issue where players could sometimes lose weapons when performing a dual weapon swap.

· Tweaked Reda's Informer icon to make it appear smaller.

· Changed Adrenaline Fiend icon to make it more distinguishable from Adrenaline upgrades.

· Torches/oil jars can now be dropped/put on the ground with Y/Triangle.

· Addressed an issue that allowed players to get the beggar reward several times.

· Addressed an issue where stats wouldn't update after leaving offline mode.

· Addressed an issue where players couldn't interact with Reda anymore.

· Added "OFF" to Quick-Time-Event Input type in the menu. (Turning this option off will allow the game to bypass mashing actions during some boss encounters)

· Addressed an issue with Alpha Animals where players wouldn't be awarded the skill point when animals were not killed by the player.

· Addressed an issue where Opals would not disappear from the map under certain conditions after collection.

· Addressed an issue where Experienced Travelers would unlock locations for the wrong territory.

· Addressed an issue where players wouldn't be able to create or load a manual save anymore.

· Addressed an issue where Layla's laptop couldn't be navigated with Focused navigation.

· Named Cloud saves appropriately.

· Cloud saves will now be named Autosave/Manual/Episode Save CLOUD

· Addressed an issue where Saves could be displayed as corrupt when saving when the internet connection is lost.

· Addressed an issue on where the pathfinder setting resets to Custom after rebooting the game.

· Addressed an issue on where cloud saves could disappear under certain conditions.

Photo Mode

· Addressed an issue where filters reset to no filter when adjusting other values in Photo Mode.

· Addressed an issue where the Photo Mode camera could get stuck in objects.

· Photo Mode Frames will now function correctly.

System

· (PC) Addressed an issue with the benchmark tool that caused the tool not to collect data for a moment after unpausing the session.

· (PC) Addressed an issue where VRAM indicators did not correspond with actual VRAM consumption.

· Reduced intensity and duration of the parry rumble. *Controllers go brrrr.*

· (PS5) Addressed an issue on PlayStation®5 where the Season Pass wouldn’t be displayed as OWNED after purchase.

5 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Getting really tired of trying to chase down tattoos. Why did they take the absolute worst part of Ass Creed III and put it in Valhalla?

So stop doing them! Good lord people, stop forcing yourself to do content you don't like! A trophy isn't a real thing! It doesn't matter! Having fun in a video game matters a lot more than "beating" it!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

So stop doing them! Good lord people, stop forcing yourself to do content you don't like! A trophy isn't a real thing! It doesn't matter! Having fun in a video game matters a lot more than "beating" it!

Yuuuup. I basically stopped doing side stuff unless it’s on the way to my next objective (except for hunting for tungsten and books of knowledge) and it’s a better experience.

HOWEVER, I get it - the want to hit every little thing on the map is something that usually affects me in games like this. I’m a recovering mini-map dot addict.

8 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Yeah, but you should see cyberpunk on pc. It looks incredible. And When raytracing is on, its the nicest game ive ever seen. The framerate isn’t worth the trouble, but wow. Eivor never looked this good.

I'm only comparing these games on Xbox one x. I seen what Cyberpunk looks like on high end machines. It looks beautiful.

@Xbob42 is that patch for consoles, too?

6 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

If I don't get them in a few tries I'll move on but it just amazes me that anyone thought chasing the Ben Franklin pages in AssCreed III was actually fun enough to bring it back. Thank God they're only tattoos or else I'd really be annoyed.

But it is a little irritating running across the countryside to a white sparkle only to realize it's a fucking tattoo lol.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

If I don't get them in a few tries I'll move on but it just amazes me that anyone thought chasing the Ben Franklin pages in AssCreed III was actually fun enough to bring it back. Thank God they're only tattoos or else I'd really be annoyed.

But it is a little irritating running across the countryside to a white sparkle only to realize it's a fucking tattoo lol.

It was actually pretty fun in Black Flag, because the parkour was simpler/faster, I guess, in that game, at least for something like this. The current parkour system isn't really for quickly getting around a city, it's for more methodically exploring the world, or maybe it's just not quite as nimble.

In any case, if you really want to just get these done, you can just watch where the paper goes and wait for it to reset, then beeline to that spot on your second activation. To remember the exact spot, you can just track the paper with your bird and mark where it stops. You can also catch it any time along its path if you cut it off. Pretty sure there's a trick to pick them up without chasing them too, but I don't know it off the top of my head.

33 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

It was actually pretty fun in Black Flag, because the parkour was simpler/faster, I guess, in that game, at least for something like this. The current parkour system isn't really for quickly getting around a city, it's for more methodically exploring the world, or maybe it's just not quite as nimble.

In any case, if you really want to just get these done, you can just watch where the paper goes and wait for it to reset, then beeline to that spot on your second activation. To remember the exact spot, you can just track the paper with your bird and mark where it stops. You can also catch it any time along its path if you cut it off. Pretty sure there's a trick to pick them up without chasing them too, but I don't know it off the top of my head.

You ignored me above. :(

35 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

That's not a bad idea. Just watch where it ends up and make sure I get there in time. It wouldn't be so bad if the traversal in Valhalla wasn't so wonky. Like you said, it's not nearly as nimble as it has been in the past. Eivor's pretty fucking clumsy by comparison. Perhaps that's intentional since he/she is a built like a brick shitter. Who knows.

Finished the game last night. Clocked in at 80 hours. Did all of the main quests, hunted all of the order, and most of the wealth markers.

Overall, a very good game, though it overstays its welcome quite a bit in that the raids, castle sieges, and combat all start to get a bit stale. Some of the quests at the higher levels start to feel like the game length is being padded by sending you on long trips away from fast travel points which got annoying. Started to get tired of the same puzzles over and over again (find the oil jar to blow up the wall or find the obtuse way to enter a building). I still got annoyed by some of the power/level gating of some of the quests and zones, which is a concept I think needs to just go away in games period. Those are my gripes. 

I know it may sound as if I'm knocking the game, but it has a very good main story and interesting characters. Major improvements there when compared to Origins/Odyssey but also still a ways to go to get to classic Bioware/CDPR levels. Definitely trending in the right direction.

On to Immortals while I hold out for a 3080 so I can play Cyberpunk with all the stuff turned on/up. 

9 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

Started to get tired of the same puzzles over and over again (find the oil jar to blow up the wall)

So I assume that means you didn't pick this up?

TLMfPIf.png

You can just shoot those at breakable walls instead of finding the oil jars. Suck it, puzzles!

8 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

Finished the game last night. Clocked in at 80 hours. Did all of the main quests, hunted all of the order, and most of the wealth markers.

Overall, a very good game, though it overstays its welcome quite a bit in that the raids, castle sieges, and combat all start to get a bit stale. Some of the quests at the higher levels start to feel like the game length is being padded by sending you on long trips away from fast travel points which got annoying. Started to get tired of the same puzzles over and over again (find the oil jar to blow up the wall or find the obtuse way to enter a building). I still got annoyed by some of the power/level gating of some of the quests and zones, which is a concept I think needs to just go away in games period. Those are my gripes. 

I know it may sound as if I'm knocking the game, but it has a very good main story and interesting characters. Major improvements there when compared to Origins/Odyssey but also still a ways to go to get to classic Bioware/CDPR levels. Definitely trending in the right direction.

On to Immortals while I hold out for a 3080 so I can play Cyberpunk with all the stuff turned on/up. 

I'm 50ish hours in, and I suspect this is how I'll feel at the end. A couple more ways to break into places to make the exploration a bit more engaging, making the combat a bit more challenging, and a little more incentives around the homestead and the game would have been really exceptional. As it stands, it's still very good.

okay, dumb question.. can you raid monasteries you've already raided?

I reached the level barrier for places I've raided, but I don't have enough supplies to build the cattle farm and brewery for the yule festival. Just kinda curious if I can hit up places I've already hit in order to not have to grind.

Also, every time I load my save, Eivor's drunk. Even if she's not drunk at the time of saving.

On 12/15/2020 at 5:59 PM, Kal-El814 said:

I'm 50ish hours in, and I suspect this is how I'll feel at the end. A couple more ways to break into places to make the exploration a bit more engaging, making the combat a bit more challenging, and a little more incentives around the homestead and the game would have been really exceptional. As it stands, it's still very good.

I agree. While verticality is a cool concept, I find it annoying and Ubi games of late have been kind bad with making areas unrealistically mountainous. Towards the end, if something required a climb I ignored it unless it was necessary to advance... but like I said, this issue has sort of plagued all of their recent games. Odyssey had this issue, Ghost Recon, Immortals, heck even FC5 had it. Really the only Ubi game I don't recall being annoyed by climbing lately is Division. 

Don't get me wrong, I like that I can climb and I like all of these games. I just don't want to spend 30% of my in game time slowly climbing with a weird ass camera angle to get to my objectives.

22 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

I agree. While verticality is a cool concept, I find it annoying and Ubi games of late have been kind bad with making areas unrealistically mountainous. Towards the end, if something required a climb I ignored it unless it was necessary to advance... but like I said, this issue has sort of plagued all of their recent games. Odyssey had this issue, Ghost Recon, Immortals, heck even FC5 had it. Really the only Ubi game I don't recall being annoyed by climbing lately is Division. 

Don't get me wrong, I like that I can climb and I like all of these games. I just don't want to spend 30% of my in game time slowly climbing with a weird ass camera angle to get to my objectives.

I... what? I've got quite a few hours in this game and I wouldn't say that I spent a large amount of time climbing at all. It actually seems quite a bit less vertical than recent Ubisoft games in my experience. I mean, you can climb to scale areas, but usually there's a quick path around or one of those rope-wheel shortcut things, which now I'm realizing I can't recall the name of.

59 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Sigh... this game is buggier now than before they patched it.

various graphical glitches

my torch doesn't show as being lit

every quest is listed as being part of: whatever quest i viewed first

quest markers for the Yule Festival are all the way across (and "under") the map

They better pull it from the store now!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I... what? I've got quite a few hours in this game and I wouldn't say that I spent a large amount of time climbing at all. It actually seems quite a bit less vertical than recent Ubisoft games in my experience. I mean, you can climb to scale areas, but usually there's a quick path around or one of those rope-wheel shortcut things, which now I'm realizing I can't recall the name of.

My opinion may be colored a bit by that place you go after you get the herbs and drink. It's not a large map, but it takes forever to traverse. I took that quest fairly early on and when I was still trying to hit all of the POIs on the map and spent way to much time climbing around for those in that map... 30 of them for 5 Power... I felt pretty ripped off for the reward vs time spent.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

The Yule festival has made Raventhorpe run like ass on XSX, fps seemingly bounces all over the place with probably the most screen tearing I’ve seen. Doesn’t make much sense as to why, as all they did was add some cosmetics and change the weather.

I'm playing on the one x and have 0 framerate issues or tearing. The yule festival runs perfectly fine.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'm playing on the one x and have 0 framerate issues or tearing. The yule festival runs perfectly fine.

Because you’re capped at 30fps and a low res. If I ran in the 30fps mode on XSX I’m sure it’d be steady, it’s the 60fps mode that’s all over the place, and the screen tearing is caused from the unstable framerate.

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Because you’re capped at 30fps and a low res. If I ran in the 30fps mode on XSX I’m sure it’d be steady, it’s the 60fps mode that’s all over the place, and the screen tearing is caused from the unstable framerate.

Ahh, gotcha. Low res...hmm. Looks incredible either way on my x.