Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: "The Last Chapter" trailer - free update that ties up the loose ends of Eivor's story

Commissar SFLUFAN

assassins-creed-content-update-dawn-of-r
WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Dawn of Ragnarok delves further into mythology than any game in the series has done so far. Since Altair’s journey through the

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Dawn of Ragnarok delves further into mythology than any game in the series has done so far. Since Altair’s journey through the Holy Land, Ubisoft has continued to wind real world history with its own fictional narrative thread.

However, in more recent entries, we’ve gone way beyond fun cameos and “what if” scenarios, starting to hunt monsters of lore and parlay with ancient pantheons. Dawn of Ragnarok is a culmination of this shift, leaving the mortal world behind as players take up Odin’s mantle on an adventure across the Nine Realms.

dawn-of-ragnarok-vg247-preview.jpg
WWW.VG247.COM

With Assassin’s Creed Valhalla expansion, Dawn of Ragnarok, Ubisoft is cementing itself in mythology instead of history. But does it pay off?

Between a new area to explore, and a new take on Odin ripped right out of the annals of mythology, the expansion offers “over 35 hours of content”. So if you’re one of the many players that starts to fall off Assassin’s Creed games after 50+ hours (after having completed about six story missions in that time), this more streamlined experience may be refreshing for you. Lozanov notes that the game “stays true” to the open world ethos recent Assassin’s Creed games, but – from my perspective – it’s all just crunched down a bit. And that’s probably for the best.

As Assassin’s Creed moves towards a future built around whatever the hell Infinity ends up being, it’s nice to see the developers cut loose and experiment a bit more with this concrete-rooted formula, and give us another take the gods and goddesses of old that aren’t all dressed up in that cinematic, over-the-shoulder PlayStation gimmick we’ve seen dozens of times before.

3938763-acvdawnthumb.jpeg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Ubisoft Sofia's huge expansion takes historical source material to craft a mythical new journey.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Dawn of Ragnarök is a mammoth-sized expansion. It's not a two-hour aside to play if you get tired of the main game's story, nor will it just be "more Assassin's Creed Valhalla." Instead, developer Ubisoft Sofia's upcoming expansion is a 35-hour adventure that makes some massive changes and additions to the base game's formula, putting you in full control of a Norse god and their mythical abilities.

GameSpot was able to watch a hands-off demonstration of Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Dawn of Ragnarök, giving us a look at the Svartalfheim region that's only accessible via Valka, Ravensthorpe's seer, in a similar manner to Asgard and Jotunheim in the main campaign. This land, historically told to be ruled by dwarves, has seen the native community scattered into hiding spots to avoid destruction and forced labor. Ubisoft Sofia has avoided the common trope of having buff, bearded dudes with Scottish accents for this role, instead depicting the dwarves as a slightly smaller human-like race--like Hobbits but without the hairy feet or insatiable hunger. It looks to be a good fit for Valhalla, offering a more-reserved take on mythology than, say, the cartoonish and silly characters in Immortals: Fenyx Rising.

y9x3KHZL2TQdXsaDBB9whb-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Shapeshifting, zombie armies, and fiery bastards

Ubisoft is bringing new meaning to the phrase 'power fantasy' with its latest Assassin's Creed Valhalla expansion, Dawn of Ragnarok. Not only do you play as the god Odin, and wield a new polearm weapon class called Atgeir, but you get to run around stealing the best powers from your enemies. Life is just so much easier when you have an army of reanimated corpses at your disposal. 

Odin is on a sad dad mission to find his son Baldr in Svartalfheim, the realm of the dwarves. The sneak peek we saw showed an impressive landscape of brutalist architecture, cave systems of glowing crystals, mountains and hills, and lakes of lava. After the fire giants of Muspelheim invaded, Sutr's son Glod took control of the region and the population of dwarves retreated to hidden dwarf shelters, which you'll need to seek out on your quest.  "Every shelter that players will find is unique," explains Georgi Popov, game director. "The shelters also play a key role in class progression. They will house various shops and vendors which will help the players along their dangerous journey in Svartalfheim."

Dawn of Ragnarök looks like an ambitious if familiar remix of Assassin's Creed Valhalla

For the uninitiated, Dawn of Ragnarök is due in March as part of Valhalla's second year of post-launch content, designed as a meaty mythological expansion weighing in at around 40 hours. As its name suggests, it focuses on the Odin part of Valhalla's story and is set before the Viking god endgame (as for how that might relate to Valhalla... we'll keep spoilers here to a minimum). Still, things are certainly cooking up a notch as the expansion kicks off, with the fiery realm of Muspelheim invading the peaceful dwarven home of Svartalfheim, which is where the expansion is set. (Expect a brief appearance from Viking Eivor to set things up and react to its revelations, but otherwise this is very much Odin's story.)

A 20-minute demo which Eurogamer saw last week showed how Dawn of Ragnarök rips free from some of Valhalla's Viking shackles, and goes to town with powers more befitting a Norse god - all while keeping gameplay tactical. The expansion's systems and gameplay revolve around a new two-power loadout system, with abilities scooped up from fallen enemies and swapped out at will as you tackle different situations.

YhvPDCqgbwAEEFWjZqCSh7-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The halls of Valhalla are calling me home.

Dawn of Ragnarok signals the first big DLC of Assassin's Creed Valhalla's second year of endgame content and it's a big one. I got a first look at the godly expansion last week, and from the banging new soundtrack to the new abilities you can acquire as Odin, I'm super excited to jump back into Valhalla.

This time you're off to Svartalfheim, the home of the dwarves. Rather than play as Havi and appear as Eivor, you'll be playing the All-Father himself on the hunt for his son, Baldr. As Odin, you'll have a host of new skills and abilities to acquire, as well as new Atgeir weapons, which are sort of like big polearms that deploy massive damage. Combos will make or break your chances of success in a fight—no more throwing your hammer around for the sake of it.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: Dawn of Ragnarök DLC (10 March 2022) "Deep Dive" trailer and preview articles/videos
  • 4 months later...

ACV_KA_FORGOTTEN_SAGA_20220614_6PMCEST_U
WWW.POLYGON.COM

‘Roguelite-inspired’ Forgotten Saga sends Eivor to Hel

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla will get another year of free, post-release content, which includes a new game mode, the “roguelite-inspired” Forgotten Saga, which sends Eivor straight to Hel, repeatedly.

In The Forgotten Saga, Eivor apparently takes on waves of enemies in a variety of different locations of Niflheim, “cast out” by Hel herself once he’s overcome. There will be rewards and progression earned as players notch milestones, and learn how to overcome the procedurally generated challenges.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: Forgotten Saga "roguelite-inspired’ free game mode announced
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: "The Last Chapter" trailer - free update that ties up the loose ends of Eivor's story

Started playing on PC via the Ubisoft Plus trial, initially just wanted to see how it ran on my PC, but was happy to see my XSX save transferred over via Ubisoft’s cloud, so now I’m starting the DLC. One thing is that the game looks super dark on PC when HDR is enabled, anyone else have this issue? Other Ubisoft games have been fine with HDR enabled, in fact, Ubisoft’s HDR implementation for PC has typically been the best of any dev as it enables it without using Windows built-in HDR. 

• 3 months later...

I've been playing this game recently. I'm about 50ish hours in.

It's nowhere near on the same level as Odyssey or Origins, but it's been enjoyable. There are parts that are starting to feel like a chore, whereas Odyssey never did - in fact, I played it all the way through twice. There is no chance in hell I'm playing through Valhalla again. The story has good parts, but Eivor has nowhere near the charisma as Bayek/Kassandra and it's starting to feel a little boring.

The DLC is all pretty bad so far in my experience, though I haven't done all of it. Ireland ends up feelig like radial fetch quests that unlock bits of story every once in a while, the rogue-like stuff is awful, the Asgard stuff is boring. I haven't played the raid on Paris yet, I'm hoping that one is good.

So far, I'd give the game a solid 75-80. I'm having fun, though there are things that are starting to grate on me and my enthusiasm is starting to wane. I doubt I will finish the Ireland DLC,  maybe not the Asgard DLC, and I'll give the Paris stuff a whack, but I'm not expecting much.

8 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

It's nowhere near on the same level as Odyssey or Origins, but it's been enjoyable. There are parts that are starting to feel like a chore, whereas Odyssey never did - in fact, I played it all the way through twice. There is no chance in hell I'm playing through Valhalla again. The story has good parts, but Eivor has nowhere near the charisma as Bayek/Kassandra and it's starting to feel a little boring.

The DLC is all pretty bad so far in my experience, though I haven't done all of it. Ireland ends up feelig like radial fetch quests that unlock bits of story every once in a while, the rogue-like stuff is awful, the Asgard stuff is boring. I haven't played the raid on Paris yet, I'm hoping that one is good.

So far, I'd give the game a solid 75-80. I'm having fun, though there are things that are starting to grate on me and my enthusiasm is starting to wane. I doubt I will finish the Ireland DLC,  maybe not the Asgard DLC, and I'll give the Paris stuff a whack, but I'm not expecting much.

If I recall the Paris one was quite a bit better than the Ireland one.

• Halal 1

I actually got a bit invested in asgard part but only played the part that was part of the main game which sorta is the beginning part of what turns into the dlc. I only didn’t play the dlc because I knew GOW2 was this year and would be better and didn’t want to spoil its story by playing something so similar. I might go back to it some day but idk, I need to play Odyssey and that’s a bigger priority but I’ll probably do Mirage before that as well so.

I really liked Valhalla, I think overall more than Origins. I actually felt Valhalla entertained me and kept me interested for far longer with its short story structure that worked great for me for playing after work. Origins was maybe like 1/3rd the size of you count the paris and ireland dlc, but I was ready for it to be over more so by the end. 

And I like Origins! But Valhalla really clicked with me I guess.

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I agree, Valhalla is good but it drags at times. Odyssey is definitely better, it’s one of my all-time favorite games. I also played through it twice, and I will play through it again at some point. I adore Kassandra, she’s one of my favorite video game characters. I won’t play through Valhalla again, once was enough.

• Sicko 1
  • Halal 1

One of the things that's starting to annoy me is the amount of times where a quest will bug out OR I'm supposed to be waiting for something to happen, OR I haven't finished the quest yet but I wasn't aware I'm supposed to do anything else. But I have no idea which of those things is true, so I end up having to look it up. This kind of thing happens most often with the world events.