Persona 4 Golden now available on Steam (Regular $20, Digital Deluxe $25)

Steam Store page

Inaba—a quiet town in rural Japan sets the scene for budding adolescence in Persona 4 Golden.

A coming of age story that sets the protagonist and his friends on a journey kickstarted by a chain of serial murders. Explore meeting kindred spirits, feelings of belonging, and even confronting the darker sides of one’s self.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Why 4 and not 5? :confused:

Testing the waters, probably trying not to blow their entire load at once. They can still sell us the rest of the series! I imagine the waters have already been thoroughly tested by how fast it shot to #1 globally on Steam in like .2 seconds and will probably stay there for a while. It already has overwhelmingly positive reviews, and quite a few of them for something out less than 2 hours. Glad to see it's less niche than I was afraid of.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Good game people want, reasonable price, no surprise.

EaaYkHQXQAQToBe?format=png&name=900x900

Edit: Oh my god he deleted his Twitter after the announcement. :lol:

4uoMQna.png

I've seen stupid shit like this for years, people fanatic about it staying exclusive, and also many, many arguments about why it wouldn't sell well anywhere else. So to these strange fans at least, it is a surprise.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Edit: Oh my god he deleted his Twitter after the announcement. :lol:

I've seen stupid shit like this for years, people fanatic about it staying exclusive, and also many, many arguments about why it wouldn't sell well anywhere else. So to these strange fans at least, it is a surprise.

Yeah didn't Ponies lose their shit when HZD was announced for PC too?

This thing must be doing really well. It's already over 4,000 reviews. According to some basic Googling, I've seen a Steam dev or two claim that between 40 and 100 purchases per review is extremely normal. That's between 160k on the low end and 400k on the high end (obviously I have no idea if it falls on either end or is being reviewed abnormally highly or lowly) on day 1. For Atlus, I think that constitutes some damn good sales on an 11 year old product, 8 for Golden specifically.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’ve never played Persona before. Is this a good starting point or should I wait for 5 to eventually release?

It's a fine starting point. The games aren't really connected or anything, just a couple basic concepts, some meta characters and occasionally a light reference to a character from a previous game.

Frankly I like 4 a lot more than 5, but I imagine most people will like whichever they played first the most. I personally found Persona 5 to be trying way too hard to be slick and stylish, while I felt it was effortless in 4, and much more subdued. Like it just happened to end up cool, rather than being meticulously designed to be so. Persona 5 has more advanced gameplay, which is nice, but they're not wildly different at the end of the day in terms of gameplay.

Also I think a murder mystery is far more intriguing than some weird phantom thieves (which is a concept that strikes me as super Japanese-centric, even The Legend of Heroes has phantom thief bullshit) "stealing hearts" or whatever. I thought the concept of 5 was really goddamn stupid in terms of motivations.

I have never played a DQ game, but if a random person who I knew nothing about were to ask me that I'd say DQ as I would say it appeals to a wider group of people. Or rather, it isn't as anime and not a lot of people like anime. 

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I have never played a DQ game, but if a random person who I knew nothing about were to ask me that I'd say DQ as I would say it appeals to a wider group of people. Or rather, it isn't as anime and not a lot of people like anime. 

But I do like anime

35 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Hmm... better question: if I was going to get 1 JRPG, should it be Dragon Quest XI or Persona 4?

From what I understand Dragon Quest games are a lot more grindy so if that's your thing go for it.

Also Dragon Quest is 60 bucks while this game is $20 or cheaper if you go on Fanatical.

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

From what I understand Dragon Quest games are a lot more grindy so if that's your thing go for it.

You don’t grind in Persona?

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Also Dragon Quest is 60 bucks while this game is $20 or cheaper if you go on Fanatical.

I can get DQ for $30

53 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Hmm... better question: if I was going to get 1 JRPG, should it be Dragon Quest XI or Persona 4?

I've only played P5, not P4, but I personally think P5 shits all over DQ XI. DQ XI is far too grindy and I don't think the characters are nearly as interesting.

To put it in perspective, I stopped DQ XI after maybe 10-15 hours? I played P5 for ~100 hours last year, and this year played P5R all the way through for another ~150 hours. Great fucking game. Everyone who likes it says P4G is also fantastic so I'm assuming it holds up too. (I also just bought it on PC)

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You don’t grind in Persona?

Not really. At least in P5 you have limited times you can grind because doing things advances time in the game that will force the story along. You can still grind, but it's by no means required and if you do, you don't need to spend a lot of time doing it. DQXI basically demands that you grind a lot.

• Thanks 1