Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (June 11, 2021) - Information Thread, Update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

SaysWho?

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So is that dimensional shifting happening in real time or only set points in the game?

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Most likely real time like Titanfall 2 or Dishonored did. :whistlin:

Since there's already games with portal guns and dimensional riftshifting and the ones in the demo are from a weapon/device, everything seems to point to Ratchet obtaining one at some point to upgrade for some bonkers Prey/Portal/Titanfall gameplay possibilities 

The game will have a 60fps mode:

In this game, we've focused on balancing the comfort of the action with beautiful graphics while allowing players to choose between two different resolutions and frame rates. One is a 4K resolution at 30FPS, and the other is a lower resolution at 60FPS. We're planning to offer either of these two options.

• Like 2

That’s silly, a 2080ti can barely do 4k/60 on some modern games still even without ray tracing which this also has. And these don’t have the benefit of dlss 2.0 to help push 4k like resolutions with ray tracing on. They aren’t magic boxes and people want overall rendering to improve not just last gen but 4k/60.

Consoles generally shooting for max fidelity at 4k/30 or whatever is good overall, it extends the base expectations of all third party games to a certain level of rendering quality and then pc can jump in and down the line to push them to 60fps+.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, stepee said:

That’s silly, a 2080ti can barely do 4k/60 on some modern games still even without ray tracing which this also has. And these don’t have the benefit of dlss 2.0 to help push 4k like resolutions with ray tracing on. They aren’t magic boxes and people want overall rendering to improve not just last gen but 4k/60.

Consoles generally shooting for max fidelity at 4k/30 or whatever is good overall, it extends the base expectations of all third party games to a certain level of rendering quality and then pc can jump in and down the line to push them to 60fps+.

While I don’t disagree, a “launch” game shouldn’t really be pushing the console so hard that we’re getting the current gen option of “pick one or the other”. Killzone was arguably the best looking launch PS4 game and ran at an average of 40-45fps iirc (there may have been an option to lock it at 30, though?). I know there’s nothing as great as DLSS available, but I’d hope the “performance” option is still 4k but just checkerboarded or something.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

While I don’t disagree, a “launch” game shouldn’t really be pushing the console so hard that we’re getting the current gen option of “pick one or the other”. Killzone was arguably the best looking launch PS4 game and ran at an average of 40-45fps iirc (there may have been an option to lock it at 30, though?). I know there’s nothing as great as DLSS available, but I’d hope the “performance” option is still 4k but just checkerboarded or something.

If it’s like 1800p that would be a fair enough compromise for 4kish with 60fps so that’s what I’m hoping for! And it’s a launch window game but to be fair it does look REALLY good!

Just now, stepee said:

If it’s like 1800p that would be a fair enough compromise for 4kish with 60fps so that’s what I’m hoping for! And it’s a launch window game but to be fair it does look REALLY good!

I’m just concerned that it’s going to be 1080p @ 60 or 4k @ 30. If it’s a checkerboarded 4k/60 or a native-4k/30, then I’m not complaining. :p 

I don’t think it’ll have to be 1080p, i think that will be more for 120fps this gen. I think it might be 1440p though; which I might still select since with cartoony games I don’t mind lower res so much, but ya really hoping for checkerboard from 1440p or 1800p.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 7:53 AM, stepee said:

Now that you've seen the 3080 that easily can do 4k/60 maybe chewing me out was a bit premature and we shouldn't have to compromise between 4k and 60 :p

25 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Now that you've seen the 3080 that easily can do 4k/60 maybe chewing me out was a bit premature and we shouldn't have to compromise between 4k and 60 :p

I mean these consoles still aren’t as powerful as a 2080ti let alone a 3080, so I’m not really seeing that.

43 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Which is considerably cheaper than the 2080ti. Technology seems to have taken a leap in regards to RTX and such. A console should be able to handle something like this while still being an affordable $600 console.

I'm not sure how you're getting to that should. 

Technology took that leap like next week, from a different company than the one that MS/Sony decided to go with years ago.

And there’s like..other stuff inside these consoles. Depending on what they price these at, they will barely make any money if not lose money on them as it is.

If your argument is that if they decide to start designing a console today that when it releases it should be able to handle everything at 4k/60, then yes the mid gen refresh consoles should be able to hit that.

The machines are what they are, the specs have been set for some time based on their bets of what the best thing they could build at a reasonable consumer price point is.

They don’t make money off these machines themselves, if they could have made them more powerful at the same cost they are selling them for, they would have, because they want to be better than their competition. These are literally the best that MS/Sony could do. 

I guess if you want to argue around this point you could say that Sony/MS should have caught wind on what Nvidia was working towards and switch to them as their partner. But that introduces so many variables that who knows what it would have been.

People talk about game price stagnation, but personally I think console price stagnation is really weird. It should matter a lot more since it sets the bar for the better part of a decade and bottlenecks to get it out "cheap" always come back and bite developers in the ass. You buy one of these every 7-8 years but demand it's $300-500, yet so many people spend well over a grand on a phone they use almost exclusively to take shitty pictures and, I dunno, browse the web? And they do that every year or every two years. Hell, even at every 3 years that's not even half a console generation. I'm not saying that consoles should have a new version every year, but rather why not beef them up even more and charge more?

I wonder how a console that really pulled out all the stops and said "okay, enough fucking around trying to cut corners to get everything to fit in this box at a reasonable price, we're going ham" would do. It kind of sort of seems like MS is trying this with the Series X and having the Series S be the cheaper alternative, but that's just taking the bottleneck and turning it into a lowest common denominator of their own creation, continuing to constrain their games. I guess you could argue we kinda saw this with the PS3, but their custom bullshit held devs back and MS beat them to market with bigger exclusives.

56 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

The phones argument is weird to me.

I don't spend $1000 on a phone, and I'm not spending that much on a console. 

‘Member when you could just do a 3-year contract and get the phone for like $300 or less? Those were the days.

When I went to upgrade my iPhone 5 to a 7, it was the first year they stopped doing that and the employee tried telling me “oh, it’s actually cheaper this way! People didn’t realize that you were paying for the phone by being locked into a contract!”, I responded with “... but I need to pay monthly for service anyway, and upgrading every 2-3 years was fine for me. Plus, the price of the plans seem to be the same.” he stared blankly not really knowing how to respond and went “oh... yea... well, uhhh... yea, you’re actually right”. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

‘Member when you could just do a 3-year contract and get the phone for like $300 or less? Those were the days.

When I went to upgrade my iPhone 5 to a 7, it was the first year they stopped doing that and the employee tried telling me “oh, it’s actually cheaper this way! People didn’t realize that you were paying for the phone by being locked into a contract!”, I responded with “... but I need to pay monthly for service anyway, and upgrading every 2-3 years was fine for me. Plus, the price of the plans seem to be the same.” he stared blankly not really knowing how to respond and went “oh... yea... well, uhhh... yea, you’re actually right”. :lol: 

Did you apply for a job there?

27 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I'm still rocking an iPhone 7. So I sure as hell am not upgrading every few years.

You're in good company because most people aren't dropping $1000 on phones. People are waiting longer and longer and don't want to spend a ton of money a year later on upgrades that aren't worth the extra cost.

Smartphone shipments have been dropping around the world over the past year, and some analysts even believe the industry is bound to suffer its worst decline ever in the coming months.

Strategy Analytics conducted an online survey with 2,500 smartphone owners aged 18 to 64 years old in the US. Company SVP David Kerr explained that there are several reasons behind consumers' decision not upgrade as quickly as they did in the past. To start with, buyers perceive newer phones' offerings as marginal upgrades not worth getting a new device for.

The increasing prices of flagship devices are also proving to be prohibitive -- in fact, Kerr believes that prices for 5G phones would be a key barrier in their adoption, even though a lot of people understand how important the feature is. Customers who spend over $1,000 on phones and who'll likely purchase a 5G device when it becomes available only make up 7 percent of the people the firm surveyed.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

You're in good company because most people aren't dropping $1000 on phones. People are waiting longer and longer and don't want to spend a ton of money a year later on upgrades that aren't worth the extra cost.

It's cost-prohibitive. 

The only reason I upgraded from my iPhone 7 to an 11 Pro was for video stuff I may be doing in the future, and I was able to get them to give me the phone for basically free after arguing with the online reps for multiple hours on Black Friday last year: “why do you have deals for people who are switching from another carrier but not for your current customers? I could switch to Verizon or Sprint and get the phone for $300 (or whatever the price was for new customers). What are you going to do to keep me as a customer?”. I think the phone wound up being $400 but they gave me a special plan that was only offered to new customers that dropped my bill by like $20-30/month for the first year then was still $10 cheaper thereafter. :p 

15 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Actually if you spend the time to get a proper deal on your phone plan it is cheaper. Not to mention most will offer a better rate when you bring your own phone to a new plan. Back when I got my iphone 7 if I wanted to get an upgrade I would have had to raise my monthly plan by $30 a month. That, the price of the discounted phone and activation fee was more expensive than me just going to the apple store and buying my phone outright. On top of it because I did it this way when I went back to the store to get a newer sim card they didn't even charge me for that when they normally do.

-edit-

I see what you posted above. I think if you haggled without getting the phone from then you would have gotten an even better monthly plan.

9 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Actually if you spend the time to get a proper deal on your phone plan it is cheaper. Not to mention most will offer a better rate when you bring your own phone to a new plan. Back when I got my iphone 7 if I wanted to get an upgrade I would have had to raise my monthly plan by $30 a month. That, the price of the discounted phone and activation fee was more expensive than me just going to the apple store and buying my phone outright. On top of it because I did it this way when I went back to the store to get a newer sim card they didn't even charge me for that when they normally do.

-edit-

I see what you posted above. I think if you haggled without getting the phone from then you would have gotten an even better monthly plan.

No, even when they were going over plans for the 7 it was not cheaper, best they could do was the same that I was already paying, especially since I had unlimited data and that was when they stopped offering it. The iPhone 11, they gave me a Black Friday special that was only offered to new customers. I was arguing with them for over 3 hours. :p