Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (June 11, 2021) - Information Thread, Update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

SaysWho?

15 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Not quite, I just have most of them on PC so anything not an exclusive just really serves no purpose for me. I mainly just mean to say that the PS5 doesn't yet offer much that you can't get with what most of us already have, be it a PS4, Xbox 1, or a decent PC. Nice to have one, for sure, but not yet essential.

Consoles really haven't made a good case for being essential purchases in the launch window since the og Xbox and Gamecube.

The biggest change this time is that Sony and MS are trying to market cross-gen enhancements as killer applications.  The new consoles launched prematurely, at least in light of game/engine/upscale-algorithm development.  We're seeing 120fps modes and bare-bones raytracing marketed as the new hotness until the industry can get its shit together.  Those who think cross-gen patches are good enough in the meanwhile were numbed by the Pro/X1X launches lowering the bar.

Sony's track record with the PS5 isn't so bad this far.  By the time Ratchet comes out, they'll have published 5 next-gen specific games.  Given the circumstances of the pandemic, you might even say that's good.  What makes it feel underwhelming is how few publishers are following suit.

13 hours ago, best3444 said:

@Xbob42 is making perfect sense. Up until now with Returnal and Ratchet the PS5 hasn't delivered anything since launch. It's starting to take off now and by Fall with Horizon it will be worth it for me to pick up.

This isn't atypical for this point in a console cycle.  Horizon 2 is coming to PS4 though.

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Horizon 2 is coming to PS4 though.

Did not know that but should have expected it. Who knows then, maybe I'll wait until next year to buy the new consoles. I'm in NO rush. I can't remember if the PS4 and Xbox One started off this slow. My memory sucks at this point. 

53 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Did not know that but should have expected it. Who knows then, maybe I'll wait until next year to buy the new consoles. I'm in NO rush. I can't remember if the PS4 and Xbox One started off this slow. My memory sucks at this point. 

They were slower, at least compared to PS5.

Also, wtf is this trend with mentioning people who already are posting in the thread? Weirdos.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I rented and beat the first two I think back in the day. 

Maybe try Crack in Time or Tools of Destruction on PS3. CiT is available on PS Now. Or Up Your Arsenal on PS3, which is the third of the original games.

I loved R&C Remake, but it was sold as a budget game because it's a re-imagining of the first one. So there's no arena mode, for example, and the length of the game is shorter than something like Crack in Time.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

PS4 started slower than PS5.  It was still Infamous Second Son/First Light, Killzone Shadowfall and Resogun by the end of the first summer.  Plus ports and remasters to pad.

Xbox One's next-gen exclusives also weren't great in that time frame: Dead Rising 3, Ryse, a half-baked Killer Instinct (at the time), and forgotten stuff like Fighter Within.  That line-up still makes Series X's offerings (The Medium, Bright Memory demo) look good by comparison.

Believe it or not, the Wii U had the better exclusives library by the end of its first summer.  Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, NSMBU & Luigi U, Lego City Undercover, Nintendoland, Game & Wario, etc.  But there was also no expectation of it feeling next-gen, and it failed to justify the gamepad.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

They were slower, at least compared to PS5.

Also, wtf is this trend with mentioning people who already are posting in the thread? Weirdos.

Thank you. I'm not sure why I mentioned xbob but yes, I'm a weirdo.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

PS4 started slower than PS5.  It was still Infamous Second Son/First Light, Killzone Shadowfall and Resogun by the end of the first summer.  Plus ports and remasters to pad.

Xbox One's next-gen exclusives also weren't great in that time frame: Dead Rising 3, Ryse, a half-baked Killer Instinct (at the time), and forgotten stuff like Fighter Within.  That line-up still makes Series X's offerings (The Medium, Bright Memory demo) look good by comparison.

Believe it or not, the Wii U had the better exclusives library by the end of its first summer.  Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, NSMBU & Luigi U, Lego City Undercover, Nintendoland, Game & Wario, etc.  But there was also no expectation of it feeling next-gen, and it failed to justify the gamepad.

Thank you. Yea, I guess PS5 is doing pretty well with exclusive releases especially facing a pandemic. Obviously the sales prove that it's a powerhouse. 

I personally don't care how many generations involve a shitty launch, you're selling me the new hotness, so have the fucking new hotness.

I just can't imagine how we continually get the entire multi-year long development cycle of a new console, it being announced, usually around a year before it actually launches, and there being jack shit on launch and also for over 6 months after launch. You'd think Sony or MS would be making deals behind closed doors to make sure there's a healthy flow of next-gen titles, Nintendo at least usually has a few first-party things ready to go. They make such a big fucking deal of keeping the console's announcement a secret that I am almost certain it continues to harm the launch cycles of new hardware.

Generation after generation of shitty launches doesn't make me more accepting of shitty launches, it makes me less accepting of them. Get your shit together. Don't blame Covid, there wasn't any Covid for the PS4 or the PS3 and we had to deal with the same shit.

Again it really depends who you are. As a mostly console gamer, just having instant loading and games built for that, not to mention some really lovely uses of the controller, has been great and fresh. And I want to say I own around five games from its launch? And I haven’t gotten to one of them yet because life and stuff. It was one of the most fun launches I can remember, and overall much stronger than the 4 and the 3.

Deathloop was delayed, which stinks as I was looking forward to its release next month, but even then I’m interested in three games in the next two months that are set. And the only reason I was even playing the PS3 is to play the R&C games in anticipation for the new game.

It’s been bitchin’ for me.

47 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Still had more features than an actual AAA fighter at launch, Street Fighter V.

Then their priorities were in the wrong place.  Features mean very little with a 9-character roster.

At least it was priced accordingly back then, I’ll give it that. 

45 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I personally don't care how many generations involve a shitty launch, you're selling me the new hotness, so have the fucking new hotness.

I just can't imagine how we continually get the entire multi-year long development cycle of a new console, it being announced, usually around a year before it actually launches, and there being jack shit on launch and also for over 6 months after launch. You'd think Sony or MS would be making deals behind closed doors to make sure there's a healthy flow of next-gen titles, Nintendo at least usually has a few first-party things ready to go. They make such a big fucking deal of keeping the console's announcement a secret that I am almost certain it continues to harm the launch cycles of new hardware.

Generation after generation of shitty launches doesn't make me more accepting of shitty launches, it makes me less accepting of them. Get your shit together. Don't blame Covid, there wasn't any Covid for the PS4 or the PS3 and we had to deal with the same shit.

Easy to see why this happens.  Publishers don't want to limit the install base they can sell to.  The console manufacturers largely have to pick up the slack on their own.

Nintendo has to come out swinging or else they'll be ignored.  Sony and Microsoft don't.  There's no desperation, they still sell like the new hotness no matter.

20 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

You'd think if Sony was willing to pay like $10 million to Capcom to keep RE7 from being on other VR platforms they'd be willing to pump a little money into next-gen exclusives.

The only thing I've ever read is that they paid Capcom $5 million to get RE7 to be playable on PSVR. I believe its up to Capcom now to bring it to other VR systems if they want. 

I understand what you're saying, but I think your position is just misguided is all. There are a lot of quiet investments in the works from SIE Studios and for next-gen titles outside of SIE Studios, from their recently announced partnerships with Haven and Firewalk, to their rumored game with Remedy. There are also big investments in their China Hero Project, which continues to bear fruit with Lost Soul Aside releasing this year. My guess is the game Bluepoint is currently working on is in conjunction with Sony. And that's just what we know. Originally, it was set for five games from their studios and partners at launch (Astro/Demon's/Destruction AllStars/Sackboy/Miles), third party deals like Bugsnax, and six this year from their studios and partners (Horizon, Returnal, Ratchet, God of War 2, Horizon 2, GT7). But everyone is behind due to COVID and working from home. See Sumo Digital's video about making Sackboy from home, or this:

WWW.GAMASUTRA.COM

GDC today released the results of a special State of the Industry: Work From Home Edition Survey which reveal how the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has impacted game developers across the industry.

So GT7 is delayed, GOW2 will be announced as delayed according to Schrier, and this year is AllStars/The Show/Returnal/Ratchet/Horizon and coordination with third parties on games like Deathloop and FF7 Intergrade. At least announced so far since it's only April.

Despite your comparisons with previous gens being thin around launch, they honestly don't matter when talking about this gen: devs have already said it's been harder to get things finished, with movies also being pushed back because they can't be worked on or the work is going slower from home. I'd imagine the only people benefiting are solo indie game devs who have more time at home to work on their smaller game.

Look at MS: Microsoft had one big game scheduled for launch and it had to be delayed a full year. My guess is that a delay may have still happened but would have been less severe had there been no pandemic as progress would have been larger.

None of this is surprising. None of us on message boards know what's going on behind the scenes, but there's no reason to believe there's not a lot of investment in first party titles, particularly since the first year is easily stronger than the 4 and 3 in its first party. With 2, it depends if you liked Dark Cloud/GT3/TMB/ICO/Jak/FreQuency/Fantavision/Extermination more than Astro Bot/Demon's Souls/Destruction/Miles Morales/Returnal/Ratchet/Sackboy/The Show (assuming there aren't more announcements for games this summer as there were last summer when they announced their fall slate). And as an employed dude who also plays his third parties on his Playstation like a ton of others, I still have a backlog and still haven't played games like Hitman 3 or It Takes Two because a person's gotta work, so I'm probably set for the year. :p 

Considering everything, Sony is indeed starting off reasonably strong this gen. There is a lot of cross platform of course, maybe less only on next gen, but I also don’t think previous gens had the opportunity to scale down as much. Now they can have a game at 4k/60 that looks and runs great on current gen and then scale it all the way down to like 900p/30 and before you optimize anything else you went down like 8x the power needed to run these games.

But overall the release schedule for new stuff to play on ps5 is pretty solid compared to other gens actually, and the big upgrade to 60fps in a lot of the cross platform stuff makes it more of a next gen feeling on the console side when playing the cross gen stuff than in previous gens.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Now they can have a game at 4k/60 that looks and runs great on current gen and then scale it all the way down to like 900p/30 and before you optimize anything else you went down like 8x the power needed to run these games.

That's a bit of a loaded statement.  4k/60 is a tall asking order for any game that doesn't look sufficiently last-gen to begin with.  There's several cross-gen games that aren't hitting that, including, but not limited to raytracing modes.

In a perfect world I think your conversion ratio would be true.  But even if it's kinda true now, I don't think anyone should expect it to stay that way for long.  Gaming on a last-gen machine will probably get much worse from here on out.  We were already seeing the cracks before the new consoles even launched.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

But overall the release schedule for new stuff to play on ps5 is pretty solid compared to other gens actually, and the big upgrade to 60fps in a lot of the cross platform stuff makes it more of a next gen feeling on the console side when playing the cross gen stuff than in previous gens.

It's next-gen in the same way that playing Last of Us Remastered at 60fps was next-gen.

The biggest difference now is there's a lot more old games getting the 60fps treatment, and many more for free.  That's one of the best thing to come from these consoles so far.

9 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Maybe try Crack in Time or Tools of Destruction on PS3. CiT is available on PS Now. Or Up Your Arsenal on PS3, which is the third of the original games.

I loved R&C Remake, but it was sold as a budget game because it's a re-imagining of the first one. So there's no arena mode, for example, and the length of the game is shorter than something like Crack in Time.

It certainly feels a bit budgety - like a PS2 game trapped in a PS4 game’s body. Like the mobility feels like it’s missing additional moves or something. 

We’ll see, I don’t have time to add those old ones to my already stressed backlog. If this thing is incredible I might jump in on its first sale. 

15 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

That's a bit of a loaded statement.  4k/60 is a tall asking order for any game that doesn't look sufficiently last-gen to begin with.  There's several cross-gen games that aren't hitting that, including, but not limited to raytracing modes.

In a perfect world I think your conversion ratio would be true.  But even if it's kinda true now, I don't think anyone should expect it to stay that way for long.  Gaming on a last-gen machine will probably get much worse from here on out.  We were already seeing the cracks before the new consoles even launched.

It's next-gen in the same way that playing Last of Us Remastered at 60fps was next-gen.

The biggest difference now is there's a lot more old games getting the 60fps treatment, and many more for free.  That's one of the best thing to come from these consoles so far.

Yeah, I think it’s that there are a lot of them this time, not just a few titles sold again. And just new games that are coming out, you didn’t have (Black Flag) Assassins Creed running at 60fps last gen still for example.

And I will happily consider a 4k/60 Last of Us 2 next gen, just release that shit already!

1 hour ago, stepee said:

And I will happily consider a 4k/60 Last of Us 2 next gen, just release that shit already!

Just play it now. It's an incredible videogame and there is nothing indicating that there will be a "next gen" update for it. 

Christ, they're worried about remaking part 1 at the moment. :/

17 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Just play it now. It's an incredible videogame and there is nothing indicating that there will be a "next gen" update for it. 

Christ, they're worried about remaking part 1 at the moment. :/

Hell na, waited this long I can wait another however long it’ll be to play it proper, I just can’t imagine it being longer than early next year at the most for at least a patch if they don’t plan to do anything major. Plennnnty to play atm!

13 hours ago, stepee said:

Hell na, waited this long I can wait another however long it’ll be to play it proper, I just can’t imagine it being longer than early next year at the most for at least a patch if they don’t plan to do anything major. Plennnnty to play atm!

Fair enough. I really hope they do upgrade it because I'm itching to replay it but I might wait like you for a proper update for the ps5. It's such a great game I'm not sure I can wait or not. I'm so used to 30fps so imo it ran and looked amazing on the PS4 Pro. I know you're spoiled and want at least have 4K 60fps. :p

29 minutes ago, stepee said:

oh fuck dual sense with all the weird guns is gonna be rad af

took me from the time I wrote this post to clear the storage I needed to and preload this, I really need to beat cold ops this weekend just to get at least that back.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5 Launch Window) - Information Thread, update: 15 minutes of new gameplay footage