Movies men like vs. movies women like according to IMDB ratings

Make sure you don't read these stats wrong.  These are not the favorite movies of men and women.  These are the movies that have the highest disparity of ranking between men and women.  So this does not mean that women's favorite movies are harry potter.  The highest any off the Harry Potter movies ranked for women was 88.  

18 minutes ago, number305 said:

Make sure you don't read these stats wrong.  These are not the favorite movies of men and women.  These are the movies that have the highest disparity of ranking between men and women.  So this does not mean that women's favorite movies are harry potter.  The highest any off the Harry Potter movies ranked for women was 88.  

I couldn't understand why people were making a big deal out of this and then I realized those same people lacked basic reading comprehension .

The Hunger Games disparity makes some sense to me, but I didn't think Harry Potter had that much of a gender gap. I just barely missed out on Potter mania, so my experience is largely second hand, but I didn't think it was that gender specific.

It makes me wonder if there's a disparity between the average male vs average female on the site. Is the average female user just much younger? Given the age of the films on the Men's list, it sure seems like the guys skew older.

Just now, TwinIon said:

The Hunger Games disparity makes some sense to me, but I didn't think Harry Potter had that much of a gender gap. I just barely missed out on Potter mania, so my experience is largely second hand, but I didn't think it was that gender specific.

It makes me wonder if there's a disparity between the average male vs average female on the site. Is the average female user just much younger? Given the age of the films on the Men's list, it sure seems like the guys skew older.

My friends and I discussed that too. My intuition tells me that women my age and younger aren't the type to go and rank on IMDB. But that's the exact age group that would love Harry Potter too so I don't know.

39 minutes ago, number305 said:

Thought this was fairly obvious. Sorry for not clarifying. But that's also why the only good Harry Potter movie isn't on that list. There isn't a disparity between men/women on that one.

Just now, GeneticBlueprint said:

My friends and I discussed that too. My intuition tells me that women my age and younger aren't the type to go and rank on IMDB. But that's the exact age group that would love Harry Potter too so I don't know.

It makes sense to me that over the history of the site it was largely a male user base that bothered to rank movies, but when younger audiences started to use it the demographics approached gender parity, resulting in a disproportionate number of older male rankers. 

54 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Thought this was fairly obvious. Sorry for not clarifying. But that's also why the only good Harry Potter movie isn't on that list. There isn't a disparity between men/women on that one.

You didn't do anything wrong.  I made the mistake of reading some of the comments on the posted twitter feed.  Twitter people can be quick to comment and slow to think.  Of course I do that sometimes too :) 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I have only seen 2 movies on the men list, but I have seen 8 movies on the women list. If you remove harry potter then I have only seen two on that list as well. 

There were only two movies on the whole thing I hadn't seen. The taare one, and M. Most of the movies on both lists are worth seeing. One list is obviously more skewed towards kids movies. 

I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books, but I thought the books and movies moved along almost exactly opposite tracks.

The books became better as they went on, becoming more mature and complex kind of going along with the characters growing up.

The first three movies were the best at capturing the simplicity and charm of the early books, but as movies often do they struggled to keep up as the novels got longer and more complex.