Geoff Keighley announces Summer Games Fest: 4 month long E3

Brian

Well, Keighly had to out-do his three hour awards show somehow, why not a four-month E3?

The guy's orgies must be legendary.

EDIT: This might also be why some of the other major publishers have been pretty mum on what they have planned in lieu of E3. They're gonna sit back and let Geoff do all the work lol.

25 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Seems cool, but without details it's not clear to me what this even means. Will Microsoft brand their upcoming reveal streams as part of this? 

Microsofts is an Inside Xbox, so I think he's just going to broadcast other's events as well and maybe do pre-post shows around them?

Summer Game Fest brings digital gaming events from PlayStation, Xbox, EA, and more

Summer Game Fest, a four-month digital gaming festival featuring some of gaming’s biggest publishers, kicks off later this month.

Put together by The Game Awards founder and showrunner Geoff Keighley, Summer Game Fest will feature everything from playable demos to digital events hosted by publishers. Microsoft’s Inside Xbox stream, which will feature Xbox Series X games, takes place at 11 a.m. ET on May 7 will kick it off. It culminates with a developer showcase on August 24 that is in collaboration with Gamescom and iam8bit. Keighley says that a full schedule of events will release soon.

Other previously announced events include digital game festivals from Xbox and Steam that will allow players to go hands-on with unreleased titles, which will be similar to the 48-hour Game Festival that The Game Awards put on in December 2019.

Participants for “phase one” of the Summer Game Fest include 2K Games, Activision, Bandai Namco, Bethesda, Blizzard Entertainment, Bungie, CD Projekt Red, Digital Extremes, Electronic Arts, PlayStation, Private Division, Riot Games, Square Enix, Steam, Warner Bros., and Xbox.

Keighley said he hopes Nintendo will join Summer Game Fest since it’s the only console maker not yet involved, though the event is open to all publishers.

“This year has been a challenge for all of us,” Keighley wrote on Twitter. “For a while, I thought 2020 might be the first time in 25 years we didn’t have a big, magic, industry-wide moment. It really bummed me out to see everything fracture. More than ever, this is a year we need a positive, uplifting center of gravity to bring this global community together.”

Keighley believes that Summer Game Fest will give a glimpse into the future of how games are shown off and that includes giving gamers playable content immediately after seeing a trailer.

“I think these barriers are going to come down not this summer, but in the future, and I think we’ll get to the point where it’ll be playable trailers,” Keighley told GamesIndustry.biz. “Where you can just have a really amazing four-minute experience in a game and then want to check it out. Playable content will be here across this summer, but I also don’t want people to think, ‘I’m getting a Cyberpunk demo. Now I’m getting a Halo Infinite demo.’ Not every game is going to deliver that promise.”

I mean good in him for getting developers to agree to announce stuff under his branding. It just seems like this is the kind of thing we’d have seen anyways with E3 being canceled, and everyone showing off games on their own time table. 

If this is being done under a single brand, like an event, I hope there’s playable demos we can partake in. Even if for a limited time. 

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

90% of E3 is padding and fluff while you wait for the 2 exciting announcements, with this we will reach levels of disappointment previously only theorized by Fallout 76 players!

I'm honestly disappointed a bit. Some of my fondest memories of E3 were the most cringey moments. What are we gonna do without an EA conference?

I'm gonna feel like Don Rickles alone in a room with no one to roast. :(

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So who’s going to be using this? MS, Sony, Nintendo, EA all seem to be doing their own thing, and providing a platform for other devs to show off too (in the case of Nintendo, Sony, and MS). Is this just gonna be small time Indy guys that aren’t getting featured by the big three? 

Did you just not read any of the posts here?

On 5/1/2020 at 9:59 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

Participants for “phase one” of the Summer Game Fest include 2K Games, Activision, Bandai Namco, Bethesda, Blizzard Entertainment, Bungie, CD Projekt Red, Digital Extremes, Electronic Arts, PlayStation, Private Division, Riot Games, Square Enix, Steam, Warner Bros., and Xbox.

Keighley said he hopes Nintendo will join Summer Game Fest since it’s the only console maker not yet involved, though the event is open to all publishers.

15 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Did you just not read any of the posts here?

So they’re going to host their own events, but also do this? I don’t think we’re going to get much from some of these companies in this even then. They’re going to show the good stuff at their own stream events. 

are there dates for when “phase one” starts?

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So they’re going to host their own events, but also do this? I don’t think we’re going to get much from some of these companies in this even then. They’re going to show the good stuff at their own stream events. 

are there dates for when “phase one” starts?

If you count Microsoft's "meh" Inside Xbox episode last thursday, it's already started.

8 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

If you count Microsoft's "meh" Inside Xbox episode last thursday, it's already started.

Was that part of it? It didn’t have any of the branding of this summer game fest, and was an Inside Xbox stream. 

this is starting to feel like old Jeff is trying to brand and take credit for something that was happening already. 

I guess I’ll host traffic safety awareness events. Join me by stopping at red lights. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Was that part of it? It didn’t have any of the branding of this summer game fest, and was an Inside Xbox stream. 

this is starting to feel like old Jeff is trying to brand and take credit for something that was happening already. 

I guess I’ll host traffic safety awareness events. Join me by stopping at red lights. 

Apparently it was.  The next reveal is apparently on Tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 11:55 AM, jaethos said:

I'm not getting my hopes up for any of these things. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than let down. I'm just going to assume all of these are going to be interesting at best.

Talk about contradicting yourself! The biggest reveal is gonna be that Keighley is pregnant with Kojima's child.

• 3 weeks later...