Princess Mononoke is one of the greatest films of all time, and its impact on pop culture over the last two decades is wildly understated

Chris-

This was one if the first anime movies I had ever seen and I had seen it at a very young age. I had major crush on San for years. It was such an odd find for me. This was back when mom and pop rental stores were big and popular, and this one had a tanning bed in the back. Well, may dad forced my brother and I to the store while my dad tanned in the back. My brother and I stayed in the kiddie area and I wasn't even looking for a movie when one of the transparent cases caught my eye. I pulled it out and it was Princess Mononoke. Usually a title like that would make me go "ew a girly movie," but when I saw it was a guy on the front of the cover crossing swords, I was reminded of the Zelda franchise. As in a "girly" title but guy mc.

So, I held on to the movie until my dad was ready to leave and told him I wanted to rent this movie. It was a great movie that I never forgot about. I am very happy that I discovered this movie as a kid. 

It's themes are kinda similar to what Cameron was trying to do with Avatar, but more interesting to me.  Characters are more complex, and I felt more emotions watching it.  I love Ghibli movies.  I re-watched Mononoke almost exactly around the time this thread was posted oddly enough and am revisiting all my favorite Ghibli and Pixar films right now.  Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away and Porco Rosso are probably my favs.

35 minutes ago, number305 said:

We should have a D1P list of the greatest movies of all time.  Pinned to the top.  Added to as needed.  Would be handy when looking for something to watch.

We had one going years ago that we were voting in five fliks at a time, or something to that effect. I don't think it ever went passed two classes of voting, but the standard fare of movie titles were all in there: Aliens, Empire Strikes Back, Die Hard(?).... I can't remember what else. But that post was part of the older boards, so it's long gone by now =(

9 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I miss the “guess the movie from the screenshots” threads 😔

I ran out of movies to do it anymore, lol. I was doing 20 caps a month for a good 2 years straight - maybe 3 and half years total. That, and once D1P made the move to whatever this forum's iteration is, there were just so many trolls that made posting here really unpleasant for a long while. But now that they're all mostly blocked and I don't get a headache anymore, I could maybe do another thread again. I still have 5 caps that I pulled long ago and never posted up, so I'm halfway done to making a new thread I guess :p

9 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I ran out of movies to do it anymore, lol. I was doing 20 caps a month for a good 2 years straight - maybe 3 and half years total. That, and once D1P made the move to whatever this forum's iteration is, there were just so many trolls that made posting here really unpleasant for a long while. But now that they're all mostly blocked and I don't get a headache anymore, I could maybe do another thread again. I still have 5 caps that I pulled long ago and never posted up, so I'm halfway done to making a new thread I guess :p

haha I understood why it stopped. There’s only so many movies. Just saying I missed it haha

13 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

haha I understood why it stopped. There’s only so many movies. Just saying I missed it haha

There was another poster here who was doing his own screenshot deal where he would take one obvious screenshot of a movie, break it down in to different sized pieces, and then he would spoiler tag each image as a "round" (or something) and you would just keep looking at each round/image until you finally figured out the movie. He only did a couple, but they were pretty fun =)