Update - Castlevania: The Final Season to release on May 13

• 2 weeks later...

It seems pretty clear they're adapting Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (the most obvious choice, and a good one) for season 3, which takes place 3 years after Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (which is what Castlevania seasons 1 + 2 adapted). I'm curious what Alucard and Sophia will do, since neither of them were in Curse of Darkness (Isaac, Hector, and Trevor are though). I'm glad they kept them in, just interested to see how they fit them in while adding in the new characters that Curse of Darkness brings to the table. Ten episodes for the season is a nice chunk, so at least we'll get a full adaptation. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I was surprised to find that season 3 is a prologue to Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, and that season 4 will likely adapt that game. It was a great connective tissue season though. The FlysEyes scene alone with Isaac in the desert was amazing.

Yeah this is a great season where “not much happens” but the character beats are just so good. Even resurrected demons in this show have motivations, it makes it really engaging to watch. 

Some spoilery stuff...

Spoiler

Are we thinking Lisa is in hell just because she loved Dracula? The little we saw of her wouldn’t suggest that she’d get there because of her deeds. Then again on this show, a reforged evil motherfucker of a priest can bless huge bodies of water and make it holy water, so... maybe the church condemning her is “enough”? I dunno.

Also was Dracula trying to get out of hell? Close the portal?

I can’t get enough of the notion that the character with the greatest contempt for humanity on this show is Isaac... who aside from Sypha is the person most likely to end up with “good” relationships with people. He liked Hector well enough until his betrayal. He’s the character most likely to offer people a chance to just let him do his thing. Etc. I don’t know where he’ll end up but he’s the most interesting character on a show with a few of them.

7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah this is a great season where “not much happens” but the character beats are just so good. Even resurrected demons in this show have motivations, it makes it really engaging to watch. 

Some spoilery stuff...

Hide contents

Are we thinking Lisa is in hell just because she loved Dracula? The little we saw of her wouldn’t suggest that she’d get there because of her deeds. Then again on this show, a reforged evil motherfucker of a priest can bless huge bodies of water and make it holy water, so... maybe the church condemning her is “enough”? I dunno.

Also was Dracula trying to get out of hell? Close the portal?

I can’t get enough of the notion that the character with the greatest contempt for humanity on this show is Isaac... who aside from Sypha is the person most likely to end up with “good” relationships with people. He liked Hector well enough until his betrayal. He’s the character most likely to offer people a chance to just let him do his thing. Etc. I don’t know where he’ll end up but he’s the most interesting character on a show with a few of them.

Honestly, to a degree we shouldn't be surprised this show is good given it's solely written by Warren Ellis.

To your questions:

I believe Lisa went to hell because the church condemned her as a witch and burned her at the stake. In this version of religion, even the supernatural aspects of religion follow through on the hypocrisy, it seems. You see that with the death and rebirth of FlyEyes as well, and his story. So basically fuck God to a degree, since good people are going to Hell. That's how I took it - that God himself is not "all good". 

Also, yes, Dracula was trying to get out of hell, if what eventually happens in Castlevania: Curse of Darkness is anything to go by. Also, remember, it was Dracula who betrayed Hector by lying to him about it being a culling vs. genocide, and so that disagreement is what made Hector ultimately choose humanity over Dracula. That's a good thing, not a betrayal! Curse of Darkness stars Hector and Isaac, so people should really focus on those two characters the most (Trevor played a supporting role in that game, and Alucard and Sypha and Carmilla aren't even in it, but Saint Germain is, hence his introduction in this season).  :p 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Honestly, to a degree we shouldn't be surprised this show is good given it's solely written by Warren Ellis.

To your question:

Hide contents

I believe Lisa went to hell because the church condemned her as a witch and burned her at the stake. In this version of religion, even the supernatural aspects of religion follow through on the hypocrisy, it seems. You see that with the death and rebirth of FlyEyes as well, and his story. So basically fuck God to a degree, since good people are going to Hell. That's how I took it - that God himself is not "all good". 

Also, yes, Dracula was trying to get out of hell, if what eventually happens in Castlevania: Curse of Darkness is anything to go by. Also, remember, it was Dracula who betrayed Hector by lying to him about it being a culling vs. genocide, and so that disagreement is what made Hector ultimately choose humanity over Dracula. That's a good thing, not a betrayal! :p 

Oh yeah, I just mean that it’s a betrayal from Isaac’s POV. 

And...

Spoiler

Given the story in Curse if Darkness specifically and Dracula’s brand generally, I assumed he wanted out. He just reached pretty casually :p

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Oh yeah, I just mean that it’s a betrayal from Isaac’s POV. 

And...

Hide contents

Given the story in Curse if Darkness specifically and Dracula’s brand generally, I assumed he wanted out. He just reached pretty casually :p

Ah, yes, it absolutely is a betrayal from Isaac's point of view. But that dude wants to bring back Dracula and wipe out all of humanity (though I agree he's an extremely interesting character). :p 

It was one of Isaac's night creatures that Sala and his men crucified in the basement of the priory who initiated the ritual to bring back Dracula - just as a hint of things to come. Also, the future segments Saint Germain sees in his PTSD nightmare of his time in the Infinite Corridor seem to be hinting at the Soma Cruz Castlevania games (which Castlevania show producer Adi Shankar is a big fan of) Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow, which take place in 2035/2036.

And I agree, Dracula reached out his hand casually and looked sad, so it's definitely somewhat ambiguous I think.

I'm little more than halfway through S3, and so far it feels like filler. The characters are well done, but without Dracula or any other larger known monster (a mummy, Frankenstein's monster, etc) as the main villain, the narrative doesn't feel important. I also heard a throw away line earlier on by one of the religious characters admitting to knowing that this war was started because the church killed Drac's wife, which kinda felt wasted.

It's still very well done, and I'm enjoying the lolli vampire having her talks with the white forge master prisoner. But this still feels like a Gameboy Castlevania game and not a main console one, lol

• Guillotine 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Same.

Also: anyone think Alucard's story is happening in a different timeline than the rest? I guess they remember the Japanese vampire from season 2, but still . . .

Different timeline how? He, Trevor, and Sypha all comment on how it’s been a couple months, IIRC. I dunno where the “cut” would be. 

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Different timeline how? He, Trevor, and Sypha all comment on how it’s been a couple months, IIRC. I dunno where the “cut” would be. 

Only because he keeps saying he doesn't know how much time has passed, and he wasn't in Curse of Darkness. I'm sure I'm wrong, just putting it out there. :p 

I also finished it tonight. Amazing what a lot of free time will buy you. :p

I thought it was an interesting season and I almost thought there were too many story threads going on at once to give every one of them enough time to resolve but it did have an explosive climax at the end. :fap:

Also, I hope the captain comes back next season. Kind of a waste to use Lance Reddick for just a couple of minutes.

I finished S3 last week. I really liked it but it was definitely a build up season for what's coming next. The 4 sisters intrigued me and the dialogue this season was incredible. I loved the conversations. Something about the animation and fights rubbed me the wrong way this season though. It was very Batman Begins like. The last episode fight scene really made up for it however as that was epic.

I'm very curious what they're planning to do with Alucard. Is he going down the path of his father now? Hmmm...