Mindhunter (Netflix) put on indefinite hold, cast released from contracts :(

https://tvline.com/2020/01/15/mindhunter-season-3-netflix-cancelled-renewed/

Noooooo! This was one of Netflix's best original shows!

A potential third season of Mindhunter has been put on indefinite hold and cast members Jonathan Groff, Holt McCallany and Anna Torv have been released from their contracts. Exec producer David Fincher’s busy schedule precipitated the move.

“David is focused on directing his first Netflix film Mank and on producing the second season of Love, Death and Robots,” a Netflix rep said in a statement to TVLine. “He may revisit Mindhunter again in the future, but in the meantime felt it wasn’t fair to the actors to hold them from seeking other work while he was exploring new work of his own.”

This sort of move will be the death of Netflix. Oh, you liked something we put out? It's gone now. 

• Shocked 1

That sucks. Love, Death, and Robots is also fantastic. Fincher is one of the few select directors whose films I will go see regardless of what the film is. More from Fincher is always a good thing. 

And with Netflix, so long as The Last Kingdom continues, so does my Netflix subscription. 

What's really shitty about this is that they spent the entirety of last season teasing a future season. Either the 3rd season or something beyond. Each episode in season 2 had us following a specific famous serial killer--usually in the opening sequence. Once you get about halfway through season 2 and realize this isn't the big bad for this season, but perhaps the entire series, you get really amped for more. So this really blows.

In all fairness, what storylines were left hanging exactly?  If people are talking about 

Spoiler

BTK, that dude basically goes dormant for a couple of decades in real life

I was unsure how they were going to handle that on the show as you would need

Spoiler

a significant time-jump to actually resolve that storyline.

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I can’t remember where, but I’ve heard that Netflix contracts for shows have a promise of a big bonus if the show makes it to a third season. So Netflix producers are encouraged to not renew a show for a third season unless it is ungodly popular. 

Is this what your read?

Deadline reported that Netflix sees little value in seasons that exceed 10 episodes, or shows that surpass 30 episodes in total. After that, they often become too expensive to continue to invest in (unless it's a breakout hit that Netflix owns like "Stranger Things"). The shorter the season, the easier it is for new viewers to jump into a show for the first time.

TV shows also can become too costly after three seasons because of the way Netflix's deals are structured. Costs often increase significantly after a third season, according to Deadline.

This is scary for a show like The Witcher which the showrunner says has a planned five to seven season arc planned.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

In all fairness, what storylines were left hanging exactly?  If people are talking about 

Reveal hidden contents

I was unsure how they were going to handle that on the show as you would need

Reveal hidden contents

Is this what your read?

This is scary for a show like The Witcher which the showrunner says has a planned five to seven season arc planned.

That may have been it. 

who knows though. Maybe Witcher will be Netflix’s GOT. Be a ratings juggernaut , and get all the seasons it needs. Here’s hoping. 

The Last Kingdom is already that, and it’s better. Season 4 is sometime this year, and it had better keep going. 

EDIT: or did you just mean in ratings? In that case, Stranger Things is the GoT of Netflix. Though, I don’t think any show has ever reach that level of viewer dedication (watch parties in bars, live reaction videos).