Tenet - Official Trailer

Pikachu

On 12/20/2019 at 1:37 AM, Derek said:

Looks interesting. I believe I read that this is the first mainstream movie to have an African American as the lead role. Kudos to you, Mr. Nolan.

The first? I don't think so. There have been plenty of mainstream movies with black leading men. Do they mean first British mainstream movie? But I do think it scratches the itch for those wanting a black James Bond.

It’s probably the highest budgeted movie at, I believe, $225 million with a black lead.

But, uhhh, Black Panther came out like two years ago and is decidedly a mainstream movie amongst dozens of others. But that was kind of a big one recently :p 

I'll reserve judgement until after I see it, but I'm disappointed that Nolan seems to be going back to the sci-fi expositionverse after the lean and incredible Dunkirk, which I consider his best film.  This trailer reminded me of Inception, where the characters explain the plot of the movie for an hour before the movie really starts.  "What's limbo?"  *Joseph Gordon-Levitt walks into frame* "Unconstructed dream space".  :facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 2:23 PM, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I'll reserve judgement until after I see it, but I'm disappointed that Nolan seems to be going back to the sci-fi expositionverse after the lean and incredible Dunkirk, which I consider his best film.  This trailer reminded me of Inception, where the characters explain the plot of the movie for an hour before the movie really starts.  "What's limbo?"  *Joseph Gordon-Levitt walks into frame* "Unconstructed dream space".  :facepalm:

I agree that Dunkirk is his best film, and I think it'll probably always be. It feels to me like the movie that only he could or would make, and I think its economy of character helped curb his worst impulses.

That said, I really like his sci-fi nonsense. I think Inception and Interstellar are both great, and if he can take some lessons from Dunkirk and slim down another original sci-fi blockbuster, maybe he'll get better.

I also saw the IMAX preview, and I enjoyed it. No sci-fi stuff yet, just very TDK opening like action.

• 2 weeks later...