A 'Home Alone' reboot is coming to Disney+

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/07/a-home-alone-reboot-is-coming-to-disney/

It's not clear yet what these reboots will look like -- Iger only said that they would be "reimagined" for a "new generation" -- nor have any timelines been hinted at. We do know, however, that the four franchises join a growing library of content yet to be "reimagined," including Lady and the Tramp, The Muppets and a host of rumored others, such as Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Father of the Bride, The Mighty Ducks and Parent Trap. Some of these titles have a greater generational sway than others, of course, but a lot of people are likely to have strong feelings about a Home Alone reboot. After all, you can mess with a lot of things, but you can't mess with kids on Christmas.

0edbac4a-e2c3-4d04-a382-fc3f26962fa7.jpg

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Original cast or don't bother!

The Wet Bandits sue the McCallister family for the effects of CTE and tetanus contracted during their home invasions. This fails, so they try to break into an adult Kevin’s home and rob him, as Kevin has become a successful, private, home security consultant. This happens in Florida, where Kevin stands his ground and kills the Wet Bandits with a gun that fires at the end of a Rube Goldberg style home security device. The remainder of a movie is a legal thriller determining the legality of that device. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Makes no difference to him, dial up probably feels lightning fast to him.

Barring paying for Caribbean WiFi to get good internet (let's assume that it's down for the purposes of the movie), what if when he said he was doing serious shopping, he was simply frowning at the lack of internet?

On 8/7/2019 at 8:40 AM, SaysWho? said:

They didn't give Kevin a phone. Their house doesn't have a landline.

They did have a landline....the power got knocked out and the phone lines went down locally and we’re being repaired.

(I have kids...I’ve seen that movie pretty much every year....I know minutia about it....that picture of Buzz’s girlfriend...is Buzz in a wig which could spawn an entirely different movie) 

1 minute ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

They did have a landline....the power got knocked out and the phone lines went down locally and we’re being repaired.

(I have kids...I’ve seen that movie pretty much every year....I know minutia about it....that picture of Buzz’s girlfriend...is Buzz in a wig which could spawn an entirely different movie) 

Everyone knows they had a landline. I'm responding to the "Story crumbles because of cell phones in this reboot" idea.

Why not make Kevin the bad guy.  I mean..poor Marv and Harry.   What did they do that was so bad?   Those were wealthy elites they were screwing over in Home Alone.....so they were stealing things..(that were insured and would be replaced) and they caused internal water damage (that was insured and would be fixed)

The only victim was the insurance industry....and calling the insurance industry victims is a stretch.

All that rich spoiled kid did was thwart a couple of harmless blue collar joes.

And that’s putting aside the fact that apparently black people don’t exist in Chicago or NY in either film.  

Just now, EternallDarkness said:

really? sounds like things are worse than we thought, sure this isn't Home Alone in the Zombie Apocalypse? 

I mean, that's all they need, though. Every movie has contrivances to make a plot happen. If they don't give a 5-year-old a phone and the satellite's down, and they don't have landlines because they're on their way out for many homes anyway, it's a plausible scenario.

18 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I mean, that's all they need, though. Every movie has contrivances to make a plot happen. If they don't give a 5-year-old a phone and the satellite's down, and they don't have landlines because they're on their way out for many homes anyway, it's a plausible scenario.

It’s True....I ripped ours out myself when we did our remodel/renovation.

8 minutes ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

It’s True....I ripped ours out myself when we did our remodel/renovation.

Exactly. 

Look at the first Home Alone. In order for there to be conflict, they needed the scary neighbor to scare Kevin into not answering the door when the cop came to check on him, they needed everyone on the street to be on vacation so nobody could be reached by Kevin's parents or family to go to the house and check on him, the power had to go out so the family was rushing and forgot Kevin, Kevin had to mess up and be sent to sleep on the third floor to make that happen, Kevin had to do that "Michael Jordan on a train" thing for hours to make sure he could trick the burglars into thinking the family was back from vacation...

If they want to make the plot work, they'll make it work. There will be reasons why he can't be reached and is left home alone. The first was and is a fun movie despite all that was needed to make it work.

• 2 years later...