~*The Second Annual D1P Backlaugust!*~

Brick

7 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Credits roll on Ocarina of Time 3DS. A little embarrassing that it took me this long to finally beat this game, but I did. 

Congrats! How long have you been working on this game?

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And roll credits on Hitman 2.... gonna resits the urge to jump back in and replay the missions for a better score and focus on some other games. Gears of War 4 and Resident Evil 7 are up. Then I'm gonna finish up Days Gone and the last Spiderman DLC. We'll see if I can get those done before the end of August.

Very nice. What did you play Hitman 2 on?

3 hours ago, Brick said:

Congrats! How long have you been working on this game?

I first played OoT when it came out on the Wii Virtual Console, so 12 years? :p

I tried it again shortly after the 3DS version came out, but again didn’t make much progress.

When the 20 year anniversary articles started coming out last fall I picked it up again and started the playthrough that I eventually finished yesterday. 

Beat Celeste after slowly chipping away at it for the last year. Got 145 strawberries, but I don’t have everything I need for chapter 8 yet.  I might come back to it when the free DLC drops. (Next month?)

Great game.  Not best indie ever or anything like that, but it occupies the same place as Shovel Knight, as a neoretro game that actually demands to be played.  Celeste might edge it out slightly.

23 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Beat Celeste after slowly chipping away at it forced the last year. Got 145 strawberries, but I don’t have everything I need for chapter 8 yet.  I might come back to it when the free DLC drops. (Next month?)

Great game.  Not best indie ever or anything like that, but it occupies the same place as Shovel Knight, as a neoretro game that actually demands to be played.  Celeste might edge it out slightly.

I've been thinking of playing that game at some point. What did you play it on? 

4 minutes ago, Brick said:

Highly recommend playing it on something that has a good D-pad. I ruined my regular xbox controller's D-pad. If I don't hit up in just the right way it will register as a right press. Maybe I'm just too hard on the controller, but it seems like the PS4 or maybe even a joy con would be better suited for it.

20 minutes ago, Brick said:

Switch.  I wanted it there for the portability.

Dpad is probably preferable to the joycon.  But I didn’t mind it in this game as much as others.  You have to make exacting diagonal presses a lot.  There is some tactile feedback in holding two buttons.

It was preferable to the control stick at least.

54 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Switch.  I wanted it there for the portability.

Dpad is probably preferable to the joycon.  But I didn’t mind it in this game as much as others.  You have to make exacting diagonal presses a lot.  There is some tactile feedback in holding two buttons.

It was preferable to the control stick at least.

Cool. I've added it to the list, and with that we have beaten last year's record! Let's keep going guys! 

11 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Finally completed Ass Creed Odyssey's main story. Now i just need to clean up the remaining cultists and kill that bitch Medusa and I can finally put this one to rest.

Let the assassinations continue. 

Finished Days Gone.  It's a solid low/mid 8's type of game.  Minor bruises and blemishes, but overall it's a really fun time.

Best thing about it is the way it pushes back.  There's a very gradual transition from running for your life to mowing down hordes.  So the difficulty scales more with the types of enemies you fight, or encounter one after the other.  It was only in the last 2-3 hours that enemies got a little bullet spongy, and when I play more of the post-game, I won't have to worry about that any more.

I'm going to want to check out the challenges some time too.  Fighting hordes is a ton of fun once you've got a hang of it.

On 8/15/2019 at 8:28 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

Finally completed Ass Creed Odyssey's main story. Now i just need to clean up the remaining cultists and kill that bitch Medusa and I can finally put this one to rest.

The cult is dead and medusa's a stain on kassandra's sword. I can put this one to bed with no regrets.

I did this before going on vacation so unfortunately it'll probably be the only game i finish during Backlaugust.

36 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

The cult is dead and medusa's a stain on kassandra's sword. I can put this one to bed with no regrets.

I did this before going on vacation so unfortunately it'll probably be the only game i finish during Backlaugust.

Very nice. Even if it's the only one, even just one game completed helps clear out your backlog. What system did you play on? 

10 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I beat The Darkness 2, which has been on my backlog for quite some time now.  It was great - really fun gameplay, interesting story, and a nice digestible length (6-7 hours).  I never played the first one, but have heard that it's pretty good as well.

Very nice. I'm assuming on Xbox One again?

With this we have now doubled our completed games from last year!

Not going to finish it in August but I'm probably going to start Star Ocean 3. When I got a slim PS2, I managed to get Xenogears and Chrono Cross at a reasonable price but it was too late for FF7 (I already had the old PC version) and Symphony of the Night (got it later on PS3 PSN). So I bought Star Ocean 3 just in case but never got around to playing it with all the other games I had to play. In the next generation, hooking up the PS2 again and having to deal with wired controllers and SD graphics didn't appeal to me.

With holiday sales months away, this seems like a good time to finally play it but on PCSX2.