Update: Hong Kong protesters storm Legislative Council chamber, display British colonial-era flag

On the NBA side of things, Commissioner Adam Silver took a few days and decided that the league supports free speech, and that the "the NBA will not put itself in a position of regulating what players, employees and team owners say or will not say on these issues."

In response, Chinese state TV canceled the broadcasts of the NBA preseason games, sponsors dropped out, and on Sportscenter this morning they had footage of the giant building side ads promoting the game being torn down. They also mentioned that the arena where the games were to be held is "suddenly unavailable" and that fans are now afraid to be seen on camera trying to get autographs from players. The $1.5B streaming deal with Tencent is apparently now in jeopardy.

On the Hearthstone front, the American University team held up a "Free Hong Kong" poster during the Collegiate Hearthstone Championship, which promptly lead to the stream being removed. They took the player cameras off for the remainder of the broadcast, and I expect it to stay that way.

https://streamable.com/vrlcc

Also, prominent Hearthstone streamer and caster Brian Kibler has announced that he will not be casting the Hearthstone Grandmasters unless something changes. He was planning on casting the Finals at BlizzCon.

Something that I hadn't thought about until I saw a tweet pointing it out is that the inciting event for both the Hearthstone and NBA issues happened on platforms that are not available in China. Neither Twitch nor Twitter work in China, so this was never about preventing discussion about Hong Kong from reaching the Chinese populace. It's about minimizing decent everywhere else. I think it's fair to say that the outsized response from both China and these companies has been a failure. Without the Streisand effect that tweet would largely have gone unnoticed, and the Hearthstone thing wouldn't have reached more than maybe 10k people.

22 hours ago, sblfilms said:

China owns the NBA

The players “have” to protect those post on the floor brands. It’s just as much or money to be made in China once they hang up the shoes. If it paid to be “social conscious,” like it does in the States, I’m sure they’d have something to say. 

Similar position for the league (who eliminated all media sessions for the rest of the tour); like any company, diversity, inclusion, and social awareness is only relevant if it positively impacts the bottom line. 

14 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

americans should get used to this

Beat me to it. What a transparent dude. You don’t create billion dollar personal valuations by doing the right thing.

Just now, mclumber1 said:

Is the Chinese market that important to the NBA?  

Post Yao Ming, yes. They buy lots of NBA stuff, and LBJ wants to be a movie star too.

12 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Yes I believe the Chinese tv deal was $500 million. Add sponsorship and apparel, it is a lot of money. 

5 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Gotta make sure Space Jam 2 gets in to the Chinese market!

Lebron needs that Chinese money to finance the movie. Yao Ming is a lock to appear now. 

9 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Yes, the US is the only market more important, and even with that, growth in the Chinese market is greater.

For players the post NBA money is well beyond what  an be earned in the states, just from a basketball perspective. Add in other investments and, well you see.

13 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Yes I believe the Chinese tv deal was $500 million. Add sponsorship and apparel, it is a lot of money. 

The original deal was $500M, the 5 year extension is $1.5BNBA China, a separate business arm of the NBA, was valued at $5 billion. They estimate that NBA yearly revenue from China is ~$500M.

Perhaps most importantly, nearly 500 million people watched the NBA in China last year. So while China might only be 6% of NBA revenue right now, the expectation is it could be far larger than that.

So while the NBA makes a lot more money from China than Activision/Blizzard, they're both really fighting for hypothetical money than they are existing revenue.

I heard a great analogy for the larger speech issue at play here that re-framed to me in a very clear way.

When car manufacturers build new cars for the US, even though the federal government has separate standards from California, CA's are more restrictive. The easiest thing to do is obviously to just build cars to the more limited CA standard and sell them everywhere. Likewise, we're seeing the much more stringent GDPR privacy notifications and data retention become the norm because any website that wants to work in Europe has to follow that anyways, so best to just follow the more stringent rules everywhere, even if there isn't a penalty in the US.

That's what we're starting to see happen with worldwide speech from large companies. China is writing the most constrictive rule set, so these companies are better off trying to play by their rules rather than police things in a more western fashion.

It makes a lot of sense, and as China grows larger and gets more protective, it's hard to imagine any company with business interests there not fall into line.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...