Update: Coffee Stain Studios provides Steam vs EGS unit sales breakdown for "Satisfactory" as of 03 July 2020

Commissar SFLUFAN

4 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Hey they got free press for a game likely no one knew much about.  I was about to go check it out myself if I weren’t getting to bed.

My guess this is the real reason for the fake tweets. Sales must be lower than expected so let’s leverage the EGS hate for free marketing. 

Honestly i don't know how any of these early access games get good sales, surely everyone has been burned by these EA titles that never pan out or just stop somewhere in development, or worse it takes so long that by the time its out of EA you've restarted the game half a dozen times and have no desire to do it again.  I know i don't touch them anymore.  Also the only time i go to the EGS is to see what game is free at the moment.

32 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Honestly i don't know how any of these early access games get good sales

The same way any game gets good sales: Either by marketing, word of mouth, or both. Risk of Rain 2 did 650k in a week because it's fucking good. Most people don't actually give a shit about being "burned" by an Early Access game, because you can very quickly determine the breadth and scope of content by like 5 minutes of reading reviews/watching Youtube videos. Most people also tend to not care if they get finished or not, because they're buying in for the here-and-now. Essentially if you're getting burned, you're burning yourself.

I mean it says this shit literally above every single game:

Early Access Game
Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.
Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development. Learn more

At this point if you're still being burned, well, I imagine you touched the stove a lot as a kid.

25 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

The same way any game gets good sales: Either by marketing, word of mouth, or both. Risk of Rain 2 did 650k in a week because it's fucking good. Most people don't actually give a shit about being "burned" by an Early Access game, because you can very quickly determine the breadth and scope of content by like 5 minutes of reading reviews/watching Youtube videos. Most people also tend to not care if they get finished or not, because they're buying in for the here-and-now. Essentially if you're getting burned, you're burning yourself.

I mean it says this shit literally above every single game:

At this point if you're still being burned, well, I imagine you touched the stove a lot as a kid.

:badass:

Sorry but the EA era is done for me, finish your game then release it.

Update: Coffee Stain Studios claims that Satisfactory has sold 507,374 units on EGS to date:

Relatedly, I've gleaned some information (albeit second-hand...or third-hand...whatever) from a poster on ResetERA as to how EGS works regarding the exclusivity and I really have no reason to doubt it because it does make "business sense".

We've heard that Epic gives an up-front cash payment to developers or guarantees a certain number of units sold -- let's call this amount "baseline X units" -- in exchange for exclusivity.  The way this arrangement works is that Epic "guarantees" a certain volume of sales by buying those baseline X units themselves -- this is the up-front cash payment that we've heard about.  Once the title sells Baseline Unit X+1 at retail on EGS, that's when the 88%/12% revenue share split kicks in going forward for all future sales.  According to the poster, the baseline X units isn't a uniform amount and naturally varies according to the game in question. 

Just speculating on my own, I imagine that there exists an agreed-upon range of values for those baseline X units and that for each increment along that range, Epic will pay a certain $Y per unit -- in other words a unit price/unit volume sliding scale.  I imagine it would be up to the developer/publisher to decide where along that sliding scale to set the baseline X units.  I'm also going to further assume that the "wholesale" price Epic will be paying per unit for those "guaranteed sale" baseline X units would be less than the actual retail price we would pay on EGS and that Epic keeps 100% of the retail revenue from those baseline X units.  The difference between the wholesale price Epic paid to the developer/publisher and the retail price we pay on EGS epresents Epic's profit on the baseline X units.

I just thought I'd share what I'd learned from that ResetERA poster as well as my own "reasonable assumptions" as to how EGS exclusivity seems to operate.

Wonder how many million they'd be up to by now if not exclusive? Even something like Factorio, which is like a pretty ugly 2D version of Satisfactory, is around the 1-2 million mark last I checked. These games do gangbusters on Steam.

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Wonder how many million they'd be up to by now if not exclusive? Even something like Factorio, which is like a pretty ugly 2D version of Satisfactory, is around the 1-2 million mark last I checked. These games do gangbusters on Steam.

It took Factorio multiple years to reach 1-2 million.

500K for Satisfactory in the first 10 weeks is pretty damn good numbers.

If anything I think these numbers show that a majority of gamers probably couldn't care less what launcher they are using to play the game they want to play.

1 hour ago, AshsToAshs said:

If anything I think these numbers show that a majority of gamers probably couldn't care less what launcher they are using to play the game they want to play.

Thats a terrible assumption to make when the consumer has no choice. 

6 hours ago, SimpleG said:

@SFLUFAN

Whats the possibility that this 500k sales number includes Epics guaranteed sales?

I'd say the possibility is near 100% :p 

Though I'm going to qualify that a bit:

(a) I don't believe that the baseline X units/Epic's guaranteed sales is a particularly large number for Satisfactory -- I'd be surprised if it's significantly more than 50,000 units

(b) Even if the amount given by Coffee Stain includes the guaranteed sales to Epic, that doesn't necessarily mean that those units have not actually been "sold through" to retail end-customers on EGS.  It would mean that those end-customer sales came out of Epic's "inventory".

19 hours ago, AshsToAshs said:

It took Factorio multiple years to reach 1-2 million.500K for Satisfactory in the first 10 weeks is pretty damn good numbers.

Really? Because it took Risk of Rain 2 in Early Access like a week to hit 650k, and a million in just one month, and that game visually looks like a high-res, unfinished PS1 game. I bet Satisfactory would've been 2+ million by now easy.

But sure, this confirms the "majority" of people don't care about launchers. As long as you ignore all the contrary evidence. :daydream:

12 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Really? Because it took Risk of Rain 2 in Early Access like a week to hit 650k, and a million in just one month, and that game visually looks like a high-res, unfinished PS1 game. I bet Satisfactory would've been 2+ million by now easy.

But sure, this confirms the "majority" of people don't care about launchers. As long as you ignore all the contrary evidence. :daydream:

I mean... RoR2 is a different genre of game, it is a sequel to a game that already sold 1-2 million copies, and it was announced for release at the Gearbox Borderlands 3 event.

But I guess that main thing it has going for it over Satisfactory is that it's on Steam. Sure.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

You really aren't aware of how popular games like Satisfactory are on Steam, are you?

You compared it to Factorio, which did 1-2 million sales over 3 years.

Do you have some games in mind, which are similar to Satisfactory, where 500K sales in the first 10 weeks would have been considered bad in comparison?

• 1 year later...

Coffee Stain Studios provides actual breakdown of Steam/EGS unit sales to date

Satisfactory has sold 1,326,518 copies in total as of today, July 3. 958,917 of those sales have been on Epic, and the remaining 367,601 sales have come through Steam. Epic reached the 500k mark just under three months after launch, and Steam has reached 367k in under a month, so the game is certainly selling faster on Valve’s platform.

Sell on Epic -> Sell at small discount -> Sell on Steam 1yr later -> Sell at moderate discount -> Sell to Microsoft for GP -> Launch DLC -> Sell at large discount -> Sell in Humble Choice ->  Sell at even larger discount -> Sell in Bundle -> Sell to Epic as freebie -> Rock bottom -> Sell to Twitch Prime / Humble Trove

• Haha 1