OFFICIAL IAW IS FULL MITTENS FOR SAINT PETE BUTTIGIEG THREAD

If you're not convinced yet that this is the guy, listen to this podcast. His ability to see things most people can't, and then make them accessible, demonstrates a depth of intelligence that we almost never get in America's personality-fueled politics.  Give it a listen - you'll be impressed, I promise.

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/1/18290849/pete-buttigieg-2020-ezra-klein-show

Spotify link: 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4uRxeqHfULT5augBQr5sJB?si=G9KIORMsRu2EisdsRZ65xg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I love what I’ve seen from him so far. In fact, I donated to his campaign (not much) which is something I’ve never actually done before in my life.

I read he he learned to speak Norwegian so he could read some Norwegian novels that weren’t available in translated versions.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RedSoxFan9 said:

That’s cool. Maybe he’ll get a job at a university 

That's the thing - he's got that academic gear, but unlike so many academics, he is actually intelligent and insightful, not merely well-read and verbose. 

You can see that on the trail.  He can synthesize immensely complex things (which he understands) into digestible soundbites.  Most other candidates can only dispense the latter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ByWatterson said:

That's the thing - he's got that academic gear, but unlike so many academics, he is actually intelligent and insightful, not merely well-read and verbose. 

You can see that on the trail.  He can synthesize immensely complex things (which he understands) into digestible soundbites.  Most other candidates can only dispense the latter.

He's extremely intelligent. I'd say he and Warren are my favorites to listen to in terms of talking policy. Not that the policies are the same, of course, but they break it down in an interesting way.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ByWatterson said:

If you're not convinced yet that this is the guy, listen to this podcast. His ability to see things most people can't, and then make them accessible, demonstrates a depth of intelligence that we almost never get in America's personality-fueled politics.  Give it a listen - you'll be impressed, I promise.

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/1/18290849/pete-buttigieg-2020-ezra-klein-show

Spotify link: 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4uRxeqHfULT5augBQr5sJB?si=G9KIORMsRu2EisdsRZ65xg

What are your thoughts on Andrew Yang?

Cause he's gonna win it for sure.

I've come away impressed every time I hear him speak about anything. His style of communication is so refreshing compared to most politicians. He's like the polar opposite of Donald Trump in every way.

I haven't spent a lot of time worrying about or studying the Democratic candidates yet, but as of right now Mayor Pete is my guy...

This is going to sound dumb, but the dude really needs a good haircut. I worry that he looks a little too geeky.

19 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

There is a reason religion is dying in the US... 

This is  about more than just religion, this is about practically everything that liberals/intellectuals fail to realize about their enemies.

Hell, I dare say that this is an American flaw, if not a flaw of the entirety of so-called "Western civilization" itself.

7 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Again, this is underestimation.

Uh not really. He actually is dumb. I didn't say his stupidity would make things easy. Trump is a pretty clear example of how abject and total idiocy can actually make opposing him harder. 

e: I like how we both used the phrase "abject and total" at the same time in different threads lol

14 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

This is  about more than just religion, this is about practically everything that liberals/intellectuals fail to realize about their enemies.

Hell, I dare say that this is an American flaw, if not a flaw of the entirety of so-called "Western civilization" itself.

I'd agree with American flaw because there are plenty of right-wingers who underestimate Democrats, which is why people straight-faced called for a "Red Wave" last year that never materialized, or the fact that they thought nobody liked Obama and he'd easily go down in defeat in 2012.

33 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Agreed!   Their stupidity (the religious, for those who, well... nvd) is often underestimated.  

And yet, a religious fundamentalist successfully conned the United States into pursuing a course of action in which it squandered its power, wealth, and prestiege in a series of utterly pointless military conflicts that will only hasten its decline into global irrelevance.  To top it off, he predicted that particular scenario years before it occurred.

If only we all could be so "stupid".