New Zealand police respond to 'active shooter' situation in Christchurch

Just now, SaysWho? said:

No, but the fact that you both hold them is why you view him as more tolerable ITT, ywt view correctly view him as pedantic in others. Agreeing/disagreeing with someone has nothing to do with whether someone likes to split hairs, but it certainly has an effect on your perception of them.

BUT I WASN'T EVEN TALKING ABOUT BRYAN FUCKING BOYLE!

Why did you bring him up when he had nothing to do with any of this? 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I guess I missed that. This is all really weird. 

Not in this specific thread I don't think, but he's definitely made comments about viewpoints being impugned by people who happen to agree with them. 

Just now, Jason said:

Not in this specific thread I don't think, but he's definitely made comments about viewpoints being impugned by people who happen to agree with them. 

I mean, maybe if I discovered I held the same views as Hitler or something, I might re-evaluate, but I don't think Boyle is that bad. :p My biggest issue is his methods. Even when I see his point, I don't agree with how he goes about it. 

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, maybe if I discovered I held the same views as Hitler or something, I might re-evaluate, but I don't think Boyle is that bad. :p My biggest issue is his methods. Even when I see his point, I don't agree with how he goes about it. 

The fun way...

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Because he's saying the same things you are, so you find him tolerable. Ya know, you said "reading really helps" to me, but maybe I should be saying it. :p 

You know, I'm starting to think you have a pathological need to win arguments, at any cost. Boyle had nothing to do with any of this. I don't know why you brought him up, unless he just lives in your head or something. As I said in my previous post, I actually do agree with Boyle more than you might think, but I disagree with how he conducts his arguments a lot of the time. I can take things on a case by case basis. 

In this instance, I was just referring to sbl's argument as pedantic, because, to me, incitement and justification are differences without a distinction in this argument. I essentially take Wade's view he put forth earlier in the thread. That's what I was talking about and it had nothing to do with Boyle. I have missed feelings on him and his conduct, but he doesn't occupy a big space in my head. :p 

But, you seem to feel the great need to claim you won or whatever, so have at you. I'm really not in a good place mentally right now and this has consumed more of my time than it needed to. Or maybe I did need it to take my mind off of an ailing grandfather I'm powerless to help at this time and the next three nights of work that's likely going to be super stressful, while thinking of my ailing grandfather who I can't see or help at this time, in addition to the thought of trying to find a new job where I'm not so miserable. 

So for better or worse, this board can be something of an escape.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

You know, I'm starting to think you have a pathological need to win arguments, at any cost. Boyle had nothing to do with any of this. I don't know why you brought him up, unless he just lives in your head or something. As I said in my previous post, I actually do agree with Boyle more than you might think, but I disagree with how he conducts his arguments a lot of the time. I can take things on a case by case basis. 

In this instance, I was just referring to sbl's argument as pedantic, because, to me, incitement and justification are differences without a distinction in this argument. I essentially take Wade's view he put forth earlier in the thread. That's what I was talking about and it had nothing to do with Boyle. I have missed feelings on him and his conduct, but he doesn't occupy a big space in my head. :p 

I agree with him a lot, as well. I still find him pedantic when I agree. That's the point. All the rest is just gibberish or projection; I'm not actually serious when I say I win the debate. Nobody thinks they won a debate by saying 'yes.'

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

But, you seem to feel the great need to claim you won or whatever, so have at you. I'm really not in a good place mentally right now and this has consumed more of my time than it needed to. Or maybe I did need it to take my mind off of an ailing grandfather I'm powerless to help at this time and the next three nights of work that's likely going to be super stressful, while thinking of my ailing grandfather who I can't see or help at this time, in addition to the thought of trying to find a new job where I'm not so miserable. 

So for better or worse, this board can be something of an escape.

:hug:  I don't need to argue with you any further, friend.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

I agree with him a lot, as well. I still find him pedantic when I agree. That's the point. All the rest is just gibberish or projection; I'm not actually serious when I say I win the debate. Nobody thinks they won a debate by saying 'yes.'

Why don't you ever send me hugs?

RACIST

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Thank you. I just didn't find him pedantic in this particular discussion, because he didn't play a big role in it. I certainly find him pedantic at other times, even when I agree with him. 

• Guillotine 1

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Thank you. I just didn't find him pedantic in this particular discussion, because he didn't play a big role in it. I certainly find him pedantic at other times, even when I agree with him. 

And this was one of those times when I found him lame too, even if I think people arguing with him were making decent points. That's why I said I "won" the debate pages ago because I didn't really feel like dragging it out at the time. I told Jason once that nobody cared about mega-threads, and then said, "Debate over. I win." I'm not serious; I'm actually quoting an old IGN debate between sexy-allen and Derek when Derek said that and everyone congratulated him. I may be one of 5 people who remembers that. :p 

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

And this was one of those times when I found him lame too, even if I think people arguing with him were making decent points. That's why I said I "won" the debate pages ago because I didn't really feel like dragging it out at the time. I told Jason once that nobody cared about mega-threads, and then said, "Debate over. I win." I'm not serious; I'm actually quoting an old IGN debate between sexy-allen and Derek when Derek said that and everyone congratulated him. I may be one of 5 people who remembers that. :p 

Probably more than 5, but who's counting?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jason said:

I seem to recall sbl making statements that suggest you should. 

I definitely reconsider previously held opinions when certain people end up agreeing. It is natural to question yourself in such scenarios!

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I definitely reconsider previously held opinions when certain people end up agreeing. It is natural to question yourself in such scenarios!

Exactly. I saw remarkableriots upvote a post up there and I'm like, "Phew, I feel good about my worldview now." :p 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Wrong. I once agreed with Anathema. I was disgusted, but it didn't change my opinion.

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

Yeah, that's DEFINITELY not me!

In that case, it's not me who has to reconsider my opinion - it's you that have to reconsider yours!

Yeah. This is how it should work. 

And did you know, both Wade and I eat our steaks well done? The more you know. 

I really feel this thread is starting to bring people together, and for that, you are all welcome. 

Seems like after all is said and done, I won the thread. 

Also, I just want to thank everyone for participating in this thread.  You have all been an absolute joy to conversate with.  Yes, even you Anathema, who has held out for years now, in ignoring me.  Keep that shit up little buddy!  But most of all, I want to thank @SaysWho? for without him, this thread wouldn't be nearly as entertaining.  God bless you all, and God bless the United States of America

• Like 1
  • Haha 1